Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jozz

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
These pics were sent to me by a workmate from the Riverland. Please help with ID.

Please only people who definately know what they're talking about! Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
Looks like an Brown Snake, even though its more black than brown
like in the picture below

Attachments

• 1507112723_651baf7326.jpg
    1507112723_651baf7326.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 108
Thanks Dan. I told him I thought it was just a really dark eastern brown. Anyone who can say definately?

What Pseudonaja species do you get there?

Pseudonaja textilis DOR.
BlackEasternBrownDOR005.jpg

BlackEasternBrownDOR006.jpg

The riverland is in SA, about 2hrs 30mins from Adelaide, and bout 1hr 45mins from Mildura in Victoria. We definately get western browns here, eastern browns, tigers. I've seen a couple of western browns where I live, including one that came to my back door for some help :) (pic attached)

Thanks Jonno, thats the kind of answer I wanted; one with an explanation :) And thanks stralis :)

Thanks everyone else too :)

Last edited:
Do western browns have the belly spots? Thats why I thought it was an eastern - thought I could see spots on the belly in a couple of the shots.

Jozz,

Got a buccal cavity shot (mouth lining)...?

The rostral scale is not shaped right for victorian type western browns Pseudonaja "nuchalis" and from what I understand they are the same species across to the edge of the eyre peninsula.

I lean towards an Eastern Brown Pseudonaja textilis

Cheers,
Scott Eipper

Thanks Scott. I will see if he's got more photos. I've seen both really banded like the one in my photo, and hardly banded at all western browns near my house? Although the unbanded one was during winter - is that why it would have been so dark?

The riverland is in SA, about 2hrs 30mins from Adelaide, and bout 1hr 45mins from Mildura in Victoria. We definately get western browns here, eastern browns, tigers. I've seen a couple of western browns where I live, including one that came to my back door for some help :) (pic attached)

Thanks Jonno, thats the kind of answer I wanted; one with an explanation :) And thanks stralis :)

Thanks everyone else too :)

oh you posted thatpic before didnt you ?

did you end up helping the poor guy ?

Yep, I posted the pics when it happened. Tim Bredl held him and I cut it off. It was a plastic floss tool?! He is all good :)

Id say nuchalis personally but a head on shot of the rostral would be nice.

Jordan

* Just looked at the first pic, id go nuchalis but i have no experience with textilis personally.

Yep, I posted the pics when it happened. Tim Bredl held him and I cut it off. It was a plastic floss tool?! He is all good :)

lol a dental floss tool,i was wondering what the mystery object around the neck was:lol:

G'day Jozz,

I have caught 3 colour forms in the Riverland - both the banded form and dark brown form like your photo's, and also very light tan coloured animals with small but distinct nuchal markings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back