Snake miss identification

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

da_donkey

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Check out this vid and have a close look in the first 10 seconds and then read the comments.

[video=youtube;DXgKELjt3fw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXgKELjt3fw[/video]

It cracks me up, if your going to pick up elapids please have a positive i.d first.

Here are the comments posted

pretty little snake, I love those littlr fellows

(Reply) (Spam)

SalineSnakeGuy85 (2 weeks ago) Marked as spam
aren't these snakes have a potent neurotoxic venom? careful mate! but great video, keep it up!

(Reply) (Spam)

queenslandferal (2 weeks ago) Marked as spam
Yep - that as well. References are for all three (haemotoxic, neurotoxic and cytotoxic)
Thanks for the feedback ;)

(Reply) (Spam)

sxereturn (4 days ago) Marked as spam
Nice Small Eyed Snake mate. Look it up - Cryptophis nigrescens. Small Eyeds are predominantly nocturnal, they are what you are finding at night.

(Reply) (Spam)

Elapid56 (4 days ago) Marked as spam
He might not know the diff between "poisonious" and venomous" but im sure he knows the diff between a RBB and a small eyed.

(Reply) (Spam)

Elapid56 (4 days ago) Marked as spam
Then again maybe he dosent, i allways thought RBB's were diurnal. lol.

(Reply) (Spam)

sxereturn (4 days ago) Marked as spam
G'day, it's fairly obvious it's a Small Eyed - check out the first ten seconds of footage, the head shape, threat posture etc are characteristic of Small Eyeds.

(Reply) (Spam)

queenslandferal (2 days ago) Marked as spam
After much debate amongst the locals and a talk with the Ranger I concede that this snake is in fact a SMALL EYED SNAKE. Can also say that I was astonished at how many "experts" had never heard of one. Good pickup. ;) Due to the inaccuracy I will need to remove this vid - but will wait for a few more comments to settle the dust.

Hmmmm.....QLD: The Smart State
sad to say I'm a queenslander........

yep not a rbb, hardly makes to much differance both would hurt :lol:

Makes a big diference. RBBS = possible death, certainly very sick. SES = localised pain and swelling.

Makes a big diference. RBBS = possible death, certainly very sick. SES = localised pain and swelling.

Small eyed snakes have venom toxic enough to cause death, and indeed one human death has been recorded from a Small eyed snake bite.

I was simply saying neither would be much good.

At least he has admitted he is wrong and wants to remove it not to mislead ppl and make himseld look stupid. I actually thought his fairly sane disposition was a nice relief from the usual nutters you get :lol:
Apart from not being able to identify the snake most of what he was saying was alright i thought.

I was simply saying neither would be much good.

At least he has admitted he is wrong and wants to remove it not to mislead ppl and make himseld look stupid. I actually thought his fairly sane disposition was a nice relief from the usual nutters you get :lol:
Apart from not being able to identify the snake most of what he was saying was alright i thought.
I just watched the first 30 seconds and two things came to mind.
All the snakes body weight on a ity bit of tail and his right knee and hand pretty much within strike.

for someone who does'nt know what they are talking about they would see the red belly and just assume that it's a red belly black.some small eyes are really red underneath.

Attachments

• smalleye1 (Medium).jpg
    smalleye1 (Medium).jpg
    90 KB · Views: 153
i find the behaviour of the small eyeds very interesting,and ive had a bit of experience with the handling of them,and (without touching of course) tested the reactions defensivley of them,and it takes ALOT of "provoking" if you call it that,to even get them to rear up,and they have the shortest strike ive ever seen,and its 90% of the time mouth closed.. im not advocating this,but they are one species of snake id willingly hold like a python and feel safe.

ive caught heaps of em over the years, and ive noticed that for such a small snake theyre very strong...
ive had a few almost pull out of my hands...
ive always rated rbb's as the best elapid to freehandle

for someone who does'nt know what they are talking about they would see the red belly and just assume that it's a red belly black.some small eyes are really red underneath.

If you can't tell the difference at a glance you shouldn't be touching them. Really, it's not that hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back