Snake Rescue 2

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahket

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Out of the blue I ran into a guy that has a "snake" that he is getting rid of.
No rego papers, lost, and can't get in touch with the original owner.
It's in a reasonable size vivarium seems healthy enough, but is sleeping in it's own excrement, no water, no handling for 8 months, and gets a rat every four weeks.
I feel so sorry for the animal. Got home and looked it up, seems to be either an Inland Carpet, or possibly a "Honey" Jungle.Age? Don't know, but could be 4-5 feet long.
What should I do?

Do you have the snake in your possession? Do you keep pythons?

Firstly, clean out the enclosure, put newspaper down and cut a hole out of a box to use as a hide. Put in a water dish. Temps need to be sorted too.

Can you post a pic of the viv?

Contact the authorities, and make them aware of the situation straight away. They will then advise you further.

i dunno i would report it because no animal of any sort deserves to be illtreated but thats just what i would do because you dont know if he did buy it or just caught it from the wild i dunno what others think but if its not well looked after i would report it :)

Got my licence and a really nice Spotted about 3 months ago.Learnt everything I know on this site.
I don't have the python in possession, but am picking him up in the morning. I don't think the guy has done any damage, but you'd think he would keep the enclosure tidy. It has a hide, thermostat I think, and as I said, looks healthy. Just no water in the bowl, and he has lost interest.
Says he got it from a girl a while back.

If it is not on his licence, advise the relevant authorities of the situation otherwise you will be keeping the animal illegally and could face penalties.

Make sure you quarintine the snake from your collection you have now.

If it is not on his licence, advise the relevant authorities of the situation otherwise you will be keeping the animal illegally and could face penalties.
yup i agree , last thing u want o happen is get in trouble for trying to do the right thing .

i'm not saying that this case isn't genuine, BUT there seems to be an lot of 'rescues' lately, from people with no license, that have lost interest. and there was one recently where the snake being sold was actually stolen !
I applaude you for wanting to do the best for the animal in question, but tread very carefully, let the authorities know what the situation is before taking custody and see what they advise, i'd hate to see you slapped with a fine for not keeping your records straight on your license

good luck

I have just been to the EPA site, and of course I can't talk to anyone until Monday.
I can only find a related form that MAY cover my picking up the python tomorrow, being a Movement Advice. Maybe, if I fill that in on the net, I would cover myself?
I just feel that now this guy knows he could cop a fine, he may just dispose of the animal, by letting it go?

I think you need to wait until you've spoken to the relevant authorities. If you are making an inquiry as to what would be needed to make this legitimate for yourself you don't need to give them the persons details at this stage. Ring them on Monday and go from there. The snakes welfare is one thing, stuffing up your own license over it is another.

I could be wrong but would think that taking the snake into your care as long as you are genuinely going to contact the relevant authorities would be ok. You could send an Email detailing your intentions before you pick it up that way you have a digital record. The law at least in WA provides for the care of native animals until they are rehabilitated and can be released, although you can not release a python I think that you would be allowed to care for it until collected or handed over, after all it is still protected fauna. You would be treading a fine line though.

Good intentions only go so far with bureaucracy Steve. Given that it's only one more day to wait, why wouldn't you?

id wait the one day , get the advice needed then go from there. maybe i value my license too much ?

I would advise not taking possession of the animal. Find someone with a carers permit in your area and get them to take it as a surrendered animal. They can then notify the correct people to get things moving. A movement advise will do you no good as it is for moving animals already on a license. If you need more info send me a PM

After thinking long and hard about what to do, I decided that I had no option but to listen to all comments.
I even phoned the RSPCA shelter, but they could'nt help.
I just rang the owner to explain the situation, and ask him to wait until I can get some advice from EPA.
He was'nt interested in discussing the matter at all and hung up.
Seems you still can't reason with an idiot!

After thinking long and hard about what to do, I decided that I had no option but to listen to all comments.
I even phoned the RSPCA shelter, but they could'nt help.
I just rang the owner to explain the situation, and ask him to wait until I can get some advice from EPA.
He was'nt interested in discussing the matter at all and hung up.
Seems you still can't reason with an idiot!
i think u have done the right thing , they guy must know its dodgy like he didnt even have a license for it [ and not that he just lost it and the paperwork].

good move, do not take possesion of the animal, He is trying to offload an animal with no records and no license, you scared him off with all your questions and i am sure he understands that it is illegal, thats why he wouldnt discuss it further

Definately had the ring of "stolen" about it I think. Anyone who is that vague about the details is a worry. I know that you are probably still worried about the welfare of the snake, and as a fellow animal lover, I know this must have been a tough call for you to make. The last thing you want is to take possession of a stolen snake & lose your own license. The welfare of your own snake has to come first I think in a case like this.

I have contacted the EPA by email, and I'll let you all know what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back