Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didnt turn it off, the globe blew and i never got around to reaplacing it,,,

and, sorry, the hot end was 30.1, it is an old thermostat and i dont know how to turn it up :( i think i have to pull it apart lol. Ill see what i can do about it as it only seems to like staying at 29 most of the time...

Then that may be half your problem. Temps.
So you can't adjust the thermo? That, from the sounds of it, pretty much means it will only go higher as the room temperature heats up. You can buy a basic thermo for $30, problem probably solved.

my stimson only eats from his hide. Have tried to feed him in a separate container, doesn't like it.

I find where he is in his enclosure and dangle the rodent in front of his hide opening. He grabs it and takes it back into his hide to devour.

Try a live adult mouse. just drop it in with the snake and 99% shore it will take it

Sorry mate but I disagreee...

First of all, you're encouraging feeding live items to a snake and that's against the site rules (I'm no moderator, so just making a point here) and also against the beliefs of most APS members.
Two: your mouse is more than likely to injure the snake: the poor reptile hasn't eaten for a long time, it seems to be quite slow and not willing to eat. It's going to get scratched and bitten. Live item could highly damage a snake, esp if it's used to be fed dead preys: not moving, no defensive reflexes, not fighting back...

My opinion:
Make sure your temps are high enough and create a gradient.
Check for cold drafts in the enclosure.
Give your snake a proper day/night cycle. Some people say that UVA stimulates natural behaviour and feeding so try to expose your snake to natural sunlight...
Snakes don't often eat during winter and can survive for months. Feeding naturally resumes with spring...
Try different food: mice, rats, fish
If you're really worried get professional and expert advice and help for an eventual assisted feeding, but I wouldn't recommend it unless your snake is really starving to death and a vet told you that it's dying from lack of food.

Best of luck and please keep us posted of the evolution of your snake...

Cheers,
Yann.

Then that may be half your problem. Temps.
So you can't adjust the thermo? That, from the sounds of it, pretty much means it will only go higher as the room temperature heats up. You can buy a basic thermo for $30, problem probably solved.

True, I totally agree with that!

rednut dan works during the day and i have nothing better to do but gate crash his site, i dont let him go on the one i go on lol. i like this site. plus its true the snake lets me feed her but she wont take it from him, dont know if it is just coincidence or not but hey i just tell him she likes me better

Hey The_Guy

Any news...?
How's your lil fella doing?

Y.

try a different brand of mice
some mice can be dodgey (eg pieces) try some form a differnt suppiler and you will probably have results, Do-little-farm are the best quality in my oppion

Try a feeder fish... or gold fish.. whatever is a good size...

I have a couple of stimmies which have only just started eating after they stopped for about 6-7 months...

You will need to ask (and make sure you would ask someone who knows, check with a senior staff member/manager) if the mice are bathed in anything (ie, stuff for mites, etc). This may kill your snake...one of my mates lost almost his entire collection because the mice he bought, from a pet store he works at, had been bathed by a new employee at the same time as the non-food mice. He started with about 11snakes, ended up with 2 bredli and a blonde mac.

My other half lost his 12ft Olive the same way out of frozen nicked down the pet shop rabbit and the old screw driver handle trick poisoned her. Never again

Sorry mate but I disagreee...

First of all, you're encouraging feeding live items to a snake and that's against the site rules (I'm no moderator, so just making a point here) and also against the beliefs of most APS members.
Two: your mouse is more than likely to injure the snake: the poor reptile hasn't eaten for a long time, it seems to be quite slow and not willing to eat. It's going to get scratched and bitten. Live item could highly damage a snake, esp if it's used to be fed dead preys: not moving, no defensive reflexes, not fighting back...

My opinion:
Make sure your temps are high enough and create a gradient.
Check for cold drafts in the enclosure.
Give your snake a proper day/night cycle. Some people say that UVA stimulates natural behaviour and feeding so try to expose your snake to natural sunlight...
Snakes don't often eat during winter and can survive for months. Feeding naturally resumes with spring...
Try different food: mice, rats, fish
If you're really worried get professional and expert advice and help for an eventual assisted feeding, but I wouldn't recommend it unless your snake is really starving to death and a vet told you that it's dying from lack of food.

Best of luck and please keep us posted of the evolution of your snake...

Cheers,
Yann.

Firstly I think that most members on this site wouldnt mind feeding a live mouse if there snake hasnt eaten for 6 months or so. Secondly there is a chance of the mouse scratching, but the chances of this is slim. I would hold the mouse by the tail and offer it to the snake. This is no different to what most people do for hachies to get them to start to eat. If the snake does not take the mouse just drop it in the enclosure and I recon it will be gone in no time

Some questions

Was it feeding well previously?
How often were you feeding it before?
When did your snake stop feeding?
Was it around the start of winter?
I have heard of stimsons fasting for extended cool periods especially fat ones.
You might find that your python starts feeding once the night minimum temps are not so low,
then again, maybe your nights are already warming up?
If so, then your python might have some health issue that must be checked out ASAP.
Maybe I'm repeating some of what Yann said,
but from my experience, feeding (or lack of it) is more often effected by temperature, than any other environmental factor (except for sloughing maybe - but this is a short term thing).

We had problems with our stimmie not eating for around 5-6 months but a mate said to scent the mouse with a gecko as we have heaps around, worked an absolute treat.(and no harm came to the gecko btw) apparently they can't resist the old gex smell.

Fix your temps.
Go back to basics and start from there.

We had problems with our stimmie not eating for around 5-6 months but a mate said to scent the mouse with a gecko as we have heaps around, worked an absolute treat.(and no harm came to the gecko btw) apparently they can't resist the old gex smell.

It works but a good way to give your snakes worms

ok, still hasnt eaten, i want to get a new thermo, but dad disagrees with everything i think, and says "no the one you have is fine" blah blah blah....

she has always eaten in a seperate cage and never have had success in normal cage, dont know why, also i switch brands nearly every time i buy, lol, dad buys the mice. The ones i got today were $4 each, and it really sux that she still aint eating them, they say laborator feeder mice...

anyway, no gecs here, only skinks and even they are few, for some reason, dad thinks the temp is meant to be 28-32 all the time, so ill try and get him to either turn ours up or get a new one.

ill let u know

The-Guy

haha yea just grab a skink by the tail until it drops it then rub it all over the mouse
my mate had to do that for his Chlidrens got get it taking mice properly
:D

The Guy - Stimsons can go off their feed at minor changes - if she has taken thawed in the past than she will still eat them - it must be something else affecting her feeding...

...my guess is your temperatures - I would bump them up a little until she starts feeding again. Is she still drinking? If not, watch her for signs of dehydration (skinny, saggy skin etc)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back