Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snakekid

Reaction score
After returning from 2 and a half weeks holidays I noticed my brown tree snake had a kink or lump in its back. It pokes out on a weird angle and he cant move properly with it. His eating fine and pooing, the vet gave us some antibiotics which we have been injecting each day. The scans are quite pricey so Xray isnt really an option. i will try and post photos soon - hopefully. we got back on the 16th Jan so he seems fine, just the lump seems a little bigger.

any lumps should be taken seriously and an xray and a vet is the only option.i've had 2 pythons put down in the last year with large cancerous tumors,one was only 3 years old and littered with a dozen tumors and we had to put down my 10yo bredli last week with a few big tumors. the earlier the better.
good luck
simon

probably get a scan with in the next couple of days. thanks everyone for their help, just to add; the vet's own opinion was that the $300 to obtain a scan was a waste of money as it was most likely cancerous. We're currently trying his approach.

deleted post

About an hour after I posted this, I was sorry I had, but I couldn't do anything about it as I was at work.
If I didn't have anything constructive to add, I should have just butted out and I apologise.
Hope all works out ok.

Last edited by a moderator:
probably get a scan with in the next couple of days. thanks everyone for their help, just to add; the vet's own opinion was that the $300 to obtain a scan was a waste of money as it was most likely cancerous. We're currently trying his approach.
what was his approach being that its most likely cancerous ?

It's alright folks, my overzealous daughter has been looking high and low for a reason this has happened to one of our animals. I posted this thread initially to explain how I was feeling in regards to this matter, and believe me I am doing everything I can to give this animal the best of care.

As my daughter has explained, the vet who I'm seeing at present (Tristan from the Canterbury Vet clinic, who served his craft under Jim Greenwood) has given me his undivided attention on the matter. I am due to see him after this course of anti-biotics has done its thing (Tuesday next week) to decide on what our next steps will be - if any :( Both of us suspect its something sinister, our approach at the moment is one with blinkers on, in the vain hope it's not as bad as we suspect it is.

Here is my initial thread: http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/chit-chat-39/feeling-a-bit-sad-lately-128171

what was his approach being that its most likely cancerous ?

His approach was we should treat it on the far chance it was merely an infection of some kind. After a week of nightly injections of antibiotics, I can almost say positively that his first assumption was correct. We're dealing with something terminal.

I have been told by my vet who does snake autopsies, that she has done a few snakes of late, that were riddled with worms.Im sure your vet has considered this, as this would explain a lump, i hope things work out for you and that any suffering is minimal.:(Best of Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back