Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Snakehandler is Melbourne based but will run courses Australia wide if he gets the numbers. From what he mentioned, he needs at least 10 people to just about break even. Reasons for this is there are 2 instructors, the driving, has to pay import licences for each of the snakes (or some sort of fees), course materials etc.

He has so many reps and there are laws (or ettiquette) about how often you can use them, so he needs multiples of each species.

We were shown almost 20 different species, something you would not come across in normal day to day activities.

The course cost $450 each. This may sound like a lot but as I previously mentioned he has to pay for fuel, air fares for assistant, accommodation for up to 3 nights, fees, printing costs and ongoing running costs. So when you break it down it is not an exhorbitant charge...I have done work related courses over 2 days that are well over $1000 and there is not anywhere near the "hands on" experience plus the thrill of interacting with all these different species...you have to see a snake like a Colletts up close to understand the sheer diversity and beauty of the various species...we got to interact with Dragons, Pythons (Morelia), Collubrids as well as Elapids.

The structure of the course is so well paced that any fears are addressed in stages so that by the time you come to handle the elapids you are ready. That is not to say that the fear leaves you, the adrenaline remains...but this is allegedly a good thing as if you dont have fear (or at least a lot of respect) for the reptiles mistakes can happen.

Sean has mentioned that so far no one who has done his course has been bitten and that is more due to his careful instructions than to any skill on behalf of the individuals. I was probably the most clumsy or uncoordinated as the capture involves putting together about 4 steps in a quick, efficient manner and I found it difficult not to hesitate between each of them.

This course has made me more comfortable in understanding and dealing with my pythons and interpreting their behaviour etc...so in this respect I have already obtained value for money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back