snakes and the right size food

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adfel

Reaction score
Hey everyone... Me again...

I have a murray darling carpet python nearly 12 months old... has been feeding on fuzzy mice for the last ten weeks. I went to my reptile food supplier who has told me that the day old quail are the right size. Now the fuzzies were 8grams and the quail are 10grams but look way too big for the snake to digest.... Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this subject and may be able to give some advice on what they feed their snakes and whether size is an issue or not seeing as they aren't much different in weight.

All advice and help appreciated... :)

When your snake eats you should be able to see a lump in the snakes body of where the food is. When people are new to owning snakes the biggest concern with feeding is usually the size of the meal being too big. Snakes can eat an amazingly large meal and be fine. I remember when I first upgraded my MD’s food I was worried because he was so teeny but he had no dramas at all.
I would definitely say go with the quails, you will be surprised.

I have a mate that has a 2 yr old MD and it was eeating full grown mice at 1 year.

fuzzy mice is extremely small for a yearling snake. i'm feeding a fuzzy to a month old woma. different snake but still, it's really small!

we have two yearling womas, one has no problem eating but the other one refuses to eat and is much smaller . Its frustrating as its only eaten one fuzzy mouse since we bought it over a month ago.

Im feeding my 12 month old murray darlings 6 week old rats and they both dont have a problem with them. try rats before you try quail.

yeah i feed my 11 month old SWCP fuzzy rats, under advice from someone much more knowledgable than myself, from this site :)

Carpet hatchies can start on day old quail, even Anteresia(childrens pythons etc.) can eat day old quail from a month or so without hassles. I would try week old quail or rat.

I have a yearling MD that is currently eating weaner rats no problems at all, fuzzy mice are way to small for a snake that old. I started the MD on fuzzy mice after it had hatched.

even day old chicks would be a good size for it. snakes are made to eat big food items so dont be too worried about feeding it a too big of a food item, if its too big they simply wont eat it. and feeding mice to any morelia at 12months of age is far too small of food. small weaners would be the go.

Thanks heaps for all the info its a great help... will be upgrading food as of today!! YOu guys are all a great help!!!! dont stop with the advice I love it!!!

It never fails to amaze me how wide snakes can stretch their jaws and swallow such big food. Scrubbies for example can eat kangaroos/wallabies.

I get quail from all things slimey at Tuggerah.... He sells chickens, rabbits, rats, mice, quails.... he can get in almost anything you want .. and all sizes...

My 10 month Bredli gets fed 35g rats and I tend not to feed her every week so she's not the biggest bredli at 10 months and 35g rats are easy for her I'll be changing to 50g soon.

The size of the snake is important not the age. A 1 year old MD could range from about 30 grams to 500 grams depending upon its past feeding regime! If you feed food items of about 20% of the reptiles live weight you'll be about right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back