Snakes get constipation ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
they can get constipated
what makes you think that you might have it Ok well your snake might have it ?

there are a few things that youcan do, warm water baths can help to soften

Gentle massage, though if you dont really know what you are doing or feeling for i would leave this one alone and see a vet

feeding foods with edible oils can help as well, so injecting the rat or whatever with a small amount of vegetable oil . this assumes that they are still eating

Yeah if it was apparent and you were worried i would say VET IT UP BABY

warm water always done the trick for me. another option which has worked is letting her loose in the backyard. whenever mine is outside she cant help resist but to let i all out, if i can put it that way lol

Also you want to look at WHY the animal became constipated. Check heating etc as if they are fed when they are cool and dont have access to heat it can cause improper digestion.
jas

How do you bath a snake? We got our new snake 2 weeks ago and I don't think he's done a poo yet. But so having said that I have no idea of what I'm looking for (eg. size or colour) This is such a lovely conversation. I found a small amount of something that looked like plaster of paris? Was that it? If not, I ask again, how do you give a snake a bath, what temp are we looking at here?

yup, thats it lesa, that the urates, you should also get brown poop

Doesn't it also depend on what the snake is eating for what it's droppings look like?

Because I remember when I got Ziggy and she was only on pinkie mice the majority of her droppings were just the urates (white blobs)

Well that helps a lot Hornet and Chris. Thanks a lot, you've stopped my worrying. He's still only on pinkie mice at the moment. He's big enough to move up to fuzzies - I think that's the next size? He's an 8mnth Children's python. I was going to wait until I finished the last of the pinkies - will that be OK?

Yeah that should be fine, but if he's 8 months old move him up to 2 pinkies each feed until you run out of pinkies then get some fuzzies, my 7 month old stimson python is on fuzzie mice same as my 7 month old murray darling carpet python.

My 7mnth old Stimson is a bit small cos he was only fed once every 10 days from hatching to when I got him, about 3.5mnths. He eats 2 pinkies normally and I think he could handle fuzzies, but he doesnt have much interest in them.

thanks - the urates thing makes sense, as he always does those, but not so much off the brownage - looks like I should be moving him up to fuzzies now, as well.... do you need to ease him up to it (ie, two pinkies for a couple of feeds), or just try out the fuzzies next feed ? I've only got one pinky left anyway...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back