Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Warren

Reaction score
I'm a novice and joined this website hoping to find some answers so sorry for silly questions to follow.

A few days ago, I found some what I believe to be snake skin in my backyard. The skin were found in and around a newly built pond, on a ladder leading up to a tree-house in large mango tree (these ones were larger scale bits and creamy in colour which I think are from the belly of the snake), as well as some in the forks of the mango tree. There's plenty of possums in the area and a couple of large birds nests (which are empty) in the mango tree. I keep finding each morning snake skin inside the pond. From reading the other posts on this website I assume the snake is soaking himself to assist in the shedding process.

I think (and hoping) it might be a carpet snake. I live in inner city Brisbane and have never come across any snakes in the area previously. I have found blue tongues lizards in my backyard before but they obviously do not climb trees so that rules them out.

I've attached some pics to help in identification. Now a really silly question, are there any venomous snakes that are arboreal? If there are then I will need a professional to come and remove because small kids and venomous snakes don't live well together. If it's a carpet then I'm happy to leave him there.

G'day Warren, I'm not the best at IDing sheds, but it looks almost identical to a shed I have from a Carpet Python.

re Snakes

Dicco said:
G'day Warren, I'm not the best at IDing sheds, but it looks almost identical to a shed I have from a Carpet Python.
Clever ID Dic :p

Yes, definately a python, presumably a Carpet if they live in the area.

.. and yes there are venomous arboreal snakes, but this is not one of them so no need to worry.

I'd agree that it looks like a Carpet, and there's a good possibility that it is a Carpet, but I'm curious as to what makes you say it is definitely a carpet?

:p

Hix

Thanks for all your quick replies so far.

Mr Bredli, just out of curiousity which are the aussie venomous snake species that are arboreal? I've heard tree snakes are but are not dangerous to humans because of their rear fangs.

I'm still abit worried until I know for sure what exactly is lurking in my backyard. Is there anyway of making a positive ID on the skin?

cheers
Warren

Hey Warren, a number of venomous Aussie snakes are arboreal, I'll find you the link to the QLD Museum site, there is a good thing on QLD snakes there.
Being in inner city Brisbane I can't really think of any arboreal snakes that occur in you area except tree snakes, which are of no treat to you or your family.
Cheers

Thx Dicco for the link. Will count the scales on skin to id it. 35 or more is a python.

That's why I'm hesitant to say it is definitely a python. In the pics I could only count 26.

:p

Hix

I am having problems finding the 'silly' questions in the first post ??? :?:

:)

Looks very very similar to my coastals sheds.

Im gonna say its a carpet, most likely coastal.

Looking at the shed it is obviously a python. As Dave pointed out one look at the few ventral scales shows that. Now as there are only 2 species of pythons found at Brisbane and the scales are too large for a Spotted Python then it has to be a Carpet, no doubt about it.

Yes definitly a carpet, you can even see some pattern in the shed,-carpet.

Thx everybody for your expert opinions. I tried counting the mid body scales but the skin samples are not complete from one side of belly scale to the other. It appears everyone more or less agrees it is most likely a python. As such, I now feel more comfortable knowing that it's not going to pose a danger to my kids if they happen to cross paths one day...of course they know the golden rule of look but don't touch. I just hope Mr Python hangs around because I'm not too fond of those noisy poo dropping possums! Anyway, if I happen to see it I'll send a pic.

Is there anyone else here from Brissy that have wild pythons in their backyard?

cheers
W

No Carpets in my backyard (wait... no backyard :p ), but I get calls to collect them out of other peoples yards all the time. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back