Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Warren, it seems some of us say it is probably a python while the rest of us know it is a carpet python., however, of course, this doesn't mean there are only carpet pythons in your area, there could be anything else, along with the carpet.

oops, ignore the superfluous period in my last post :oops:

. Here, have it back. I take it you have had some proofreading done of late.

Thanks Peter, it'll save me from wasting a new one in for this sentence.

I shouldn't post so late, I get sloppy, then am tired enough to worry about it :p

I'll try to keep my late night posts to the late night posts thread :lol:

Oh, to stay on topic, um, yep, that's a carpet python.

warren,- dont be to comfortable as southeast qld is full and I meen full of brown snakes, and you WILL from time to time have them crossing thru your yard. If you stand in your back yard and turn around in a circle there will be at any given time a dozen or more snakes of a number of species within easy eye sight, you just cant see them that is all.

Yikes True Blue! Oh really .... I'm facinated ... where could they be hiding? As for brown snakes are they most active during day or night or both ... and do they climb trees?

In regards to the elusive Mr Python in my backyard where do you suggest I should look and when? Found some more belly skin this morning in the mango tree and a little in the pond again.

I've noticed too the possums do not come around as often.

cheers
W

Hi Wrasse, thx I'll contact you if I need any snakes removed :)

Warren said:
Yikes True Blue! Oh really .... I'm facinated ... where could they be hiding? As for brown snakes are they most active during day or night or both ... and do they climb trees?

In regards to the elusive Mr Python in my backyard where do you suggest I should look and when? Found some more belly skin this morning in the mango tree and a little in the pond again.

I've noticed too the possums do not come around as often.

cheers
W
Hey Warren, snakes come in all shapes and sizes, it's common to find things like Crowned Snakes in Brisbane, they are small and hide under rocks and logs ect and are pretty much harmless, there are the Yellow-Faced Whip Snakes, these are small fast snakes that will hide in long grasses ect, there are even snakes called blind snakes that look just like a worm, they feed off the eggs and larvae of ants and are sub-terrainian.

I live in suburban Brisbane and the other day found what I think was a Green Tree Snake in trees beside the house. I have been told by the neighbours that there was a Carpet living around the house a few years back and my wife saw one crossing a road near our house a couple of months ago.

My wild python has returned again (after a few months absence) so it appears .... found some more skin around the mango tree again. This time the sheds are from the tail end.

On another matter, anyone know how to get rid of possums? I'm sick of them deficating and peeing all over the place. Their pee really stinks. Seems like the python hasn't exterminated the possums.

cheers
W

Cant help with getting rid of the Possums, but just to let you know I have a mate at work, he lives near Alex Hills or Capalaba..... he was telling me the other day he heard a commotion (spelling?) outside the other night. he went outside to see a carpet had gotten into his Cockatoo cage and had wrapped itself around his Sulphur Crested Cockatoo. He knew there wasnt much he could do as he knew the bird would be dead if he did finally get the snake off (without being bitten). So went back inside and went to sleep, expecting to have a fat caged python in the morning. Nope, it had squeezed back out of the cage and gone back to its merry hiding spot in the creekside bush behind his place.

## So there are wild Carpets around the Brisbane area.... And Big ones.....

Hi folks

I thought you might interested to know I finally found the elusive wild carpet snake that had been lurking in my garden awhile ago. I saw him lying on the road infront of my house early Thurs morning after I had dropped my kids off at school. At first I thought it was a large stick until I saw it move! The penny dropped...I realised it was the carpet that had been leaving it's skin in my tropical garden. I managed to corrall him into a large bin to get him off the road. This is one lucky snake because I live in the inner city. I estimate him to be approx. 2 metres long.
My kids were surprised when I showed them what I had caught. We released him this morning in bushland.

Attachments

• snake 002.jpg
    snake 002.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 79
  • snake 001.jpg
    snake 001.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 75
we get green tree snakes around my parents place all the time, infact i was playing with a hatchling that fell out of a palm tree the other day. good to see you found your mystery snake!

Nice looking carpet there, well fleshed.

very nice! good find.... i would have released him back into your mango tree and put a hide box up there for him to live in! hehe keep tthe posums at bay

Hehe how cute are your kids! Thanks for sharing and keeping us updated!
It would be a mixed blessing to have wild animals that size in your backgarden.. I certainly wouldn't want my cockatoo going a miss! :S

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back