snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brian

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hello iv just had a snake brought for me and need to no a few things like what watt light blob will i need i have a 2 bolb fitting?do i just keep it on in the daytime and turn it of at night?is wood shavings ok to put on the bottom of the cage?like the same you would use in a mouse cage.and can i have more then one snake in the same cage?i have soon a 10 mounth old diamond python.and any other info would be great that you may think i mite have to no.
thanks

Mate I woudn't use shavings just cause they are rather messy. I use news paper with plastic underneath. As for bulbs it really depends on how big your cage is. So if you provide more info we will all be able to help you more

hi cwarren72 ya i no that wood shavings are messy but it looks more natural then papper.but just need to no if it would hurt the underneth of the snake.its all confusing to me right now as iv never owned a retile :x
brian

if u want something other than paper why dont u try the recylced kitty litter

HELP IM GETTING THE SNAKE SOON AND I NEED ALL THESE QUSTIONS ANSWERD I ALSO WHANT TO NO HOW DO I NO WHEN THE SNAKE IS SHEDDING HIS OR HER SKIN?AND HOW DO I NO IF ITS A BOY SNAKE OR A GIRL SNAKE?ITS NOT LIKE I CAN LOOK UP THE SNAKES SKIRT TO FIND OUT IS THERE A TELL TAIL SIGN?I WILL PUT PIC OF SNAKE ON WHEN I GET IT.
PLEASE HELP WITH ALL QUESTIONS :x

wood shavings look more natural but may stick to food items you put in with your snake. Use Breeder's Choice kitty litter or newspaper. I use newspaper about 6 pages thick and i change the lot every poop. get a blue bulb in your light fitting and connect a thermostat to your cage away from the light and set it to 25 or so so the hot spot in your cage is about 30 degrees.
Stop freaking out!!

in my opinion, don't use shavings as i use it for my mice and it has way to much dust for any snakes, you can keep 2 snakes together but i wouldn't if they are small, as for sexing, thats better left up to a vet or very experanced reptile owner or breeder,

cheers,
steve.......

Hi Brian

You sound a bit stressed out, but don't worry. People on this site are always willing to help out others, particularly us new reptile owners. Don't be scared to ask HEAPS of questions. I have :D

You can tell your python is about to shed when it's eyes go grey. This happens about a week before it sheds, so you get plenty of warning. Also, it's skin goes dull and gets a kind of grey look to it, and he/she will get all quiet and shy and hide away for about a week beforehand. At this time it is good to make sure your python has a nice big water bowl to soak in if it wants to (this will help the old skin come off nice and easily) and some branches or similar to rub itself against to remove the skin.

A good thing for you to do would be find a vet in your local area who treats reptiles. That way you know where to go if anything goes wrong all of a sudden. The vet should be able to sex your snake for you also. And have you found out where to get food from yet? Perhaps there is even a big pet shop near you where they sell reptile supplies. They might be able to help you with your python's living arrangements.

We'd love to see some pictures of your new pet, so make sure you put some up so we can all admire him/her. And if you put up pics of your enclosure too, then people can take a look and make recommendations to make sure your python is going to be really comfortable and happy

Welcome. I'm sure you'll find this site very helpful, and I'm sure you're going to love having a python!

From Lily

snake

Thanks for all the feed back as far as a blue bolb that junglemad said i should have y a blue bolb and is that one of them party bolbs.and yes i will put a pic of my encloser on when i get it iv just brought it and its getting shipped to me soon its 1200L 600W 600H i hope its big enough.
once again thanks for feed back :D
Brian

Buy some books mate! You should have been researching for more a day!! This is just my opinion, its like diving into murky water, get in and check the depth, and for debris first. Otherwise you may get hurt. They arent difficult to keep though, if you have read anything at all you would know this!

My apologies for being abrupt, but searching yahoo and browsing pictures would have answered the substrate issue, and almost every snake book worth its weight would have explained sexing.

Brian, the guys who have already posted have set you on the right course, and best of luck with your diamond! Please read up on snakes, as by the time you notice a real problem it may be too late ( God willing you never ).

one more thing like i said its a 10 mounth old diamond python how much should i feed it and how often should i feed it and how do i no when i should feed it more as it gets older ?is there a gide line for how old the snake is to how much i should feed it in one go.?
Brian

TO ihaveherps its a bit hard to find out the info i need or research when i only found out to night that im getting one for xmas.
Brian

Hey Brian. Perhaps if you mentioned what state and suburb we could find someone on this site who might be able to give you a hand. Just an idea as it sounds like you've kind of jumped in the deep end and don't know much about your new pet. It might be nice for you to have someone actually show you how to handle it and feed it and stuff.

Now thats a good ider im in N.S.W at mt druitt if that helps

Get "Care Of Australian Reptiles In Captivity" By John Weigel it?s a very informative book on all aspects of keeping reptiles. I don?t know much about the care of Diamond Pythons although make sure the enclosure is escape proof (make sure there are no holes bigger than about 3-4mm) and make sure you have a good thermometer. Turn on the heating in the cage for about a day before you get the snake so you can make sure the temps are right and so your not just chucking the snake in a cage that may not have the right temps. Other than that don't stress and try and get as much info as possible.

READ READ AND READ SOME MORE!

Best tip is to go to the search engine on this site and typ in all the things you are looking for answers too im sure hundreds will comeup for temps and substrate and feeding.

10 month old Diamond, IMHO give him/her (it doesnt really matter) a few hopper mice or rats between 10 and 14 days.

Obviously you hvae a lot to learn being thrown in the deep end but just research all you ca, and ask questions if need be, this site is a great source of information for snake owners with plenty of very knowledgable members and heaps of newbies like myself.

My apologies Brian, and i publically retract any assumption that you had arranged an animal that you are ill prepared for, and my congratulations in joining the ranks. As for the globes, and pretty much any other herp related equip, go through the links page and check through the "retail". Feeding is another argumentative querie, i say feed something large enough to leave a slight bulge in the thickest part of the snake. You will be able to guage this better as time goes on, and feed weekly to tri-weekly depending on size, smaller-weekly to full size tri-weekly. It is also better to feed two smaller items than one large item. Also i suggest a thermostat, as diamonds are the southern most exponent of morelia and thus need cooler temps than most carpets. Istill stand by my assesment that youn need to read. Best of luck!!!!!

brian, I don't want to sound too dumb, but since you've only just found out that youare getting a snake, do you have a reptile licence yet?

The only stupid question is the question that is not asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back