Some python enclosure questions ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well if you think about it, as its not made for animal bedding but instead for a cats toilet, that alone should be enough.

Well if you think about it, as its not made for animal bedding but instead for a cats toilet, that alone should be enough.

Wow, so newspaper is purpose made for reptile enclosure substrate and some people just happen to read it? :lol:

yes of course, where have you been all these years and not worked that one out yet.

The only reason i get the local paper only is to see the big fish cuaght every week with lots of top pics.My Neighbour does the printing so have acess to unlimited supply...

I saw a sawdust pellet in Western Australia recently, does anyone know where this is available from and what type of timber it is made from ? Looked good, reddy tan colour and was created as an animal bedding substrate.

breeders choice is just 100% re-cycled news paper , i actually think it works better than news paper as you dont have to replace all the substrate at once , just all the soiled area. As for ingesting it , i feed my girl away from the substrate( log or hide).

Does it soak up the droppings ? or does it drain to the bottom and you have to clean all the way down ?

Guess its a good idea for me to just try it and see for myself I guess :)

I was given the idea to use the imitation grass on the bottom of my Coastal Carpets cage (10 Mths old) I have two 'sheets' take the dirty one out, hose and dry in the sun, with a clean one already in.

or another suggestion was to use rubber back carpet, and follow the same lines.

hello everyone its a bit iffy i rather use breeders choice for me lizards as they love it and it makes the enclosure look alot better i personally havent tried it on my pythons so i cant comment on how it goes with them but as for the lizards it is a definate YES. i havent tried it in my python enclosures as i find the pythons get undetr the newspaper and feel safe and im not sure whether they would get that same effect in the breeders choice
cheers kahn

Speaking of substrate, I have recently moved house and found alot of stuff I had forgotten about. If anyone in Sydney is interested in trying something new I have some excess samples of what is best described as "super size incontinence pads". They are sold to hospitals as bed liners and absorb heaps of liquid whilst remaining dry to touch. I know the importer and he is currently selling to the petshop/vet industry and gave me some to try on the snakes. Not my cuppa tea but if interested pm me and I'll post a sample.

Just wondering why people wont use breeders choice for their rodents????

MrBredli said:
You get a fair bit of dust with Breeders Choice aswell.

i have used breeders choice for years for dragons ,pythons and even cats(oddly enough)and have never had a problem with dust, after all it is just news paper squeezed into pellets.It looks better and is alot easier to clean , you just pick up any soiled substrate instead of removing all of the newspaper.jmo

I use newspaper and cover it with a natural coloured towel (greenish or brownish). It just looks better than straight newspaper but has all the advantages of newspaper.

Once a week I wash the towels and replace the newspaper. I have lots of them so I've always got a clean supply ready to use.

No fuss, easy to use and looks good.

i rate the astro turf (artificial grass) from bunnings. good medium between looks and ease of cleaning. looks better then newspaper and cat litter imo and to clean just pull it out, quick scrub and hose off and back in. 1 piece lasts years.

as for the heating, if you are still have probs, up to globes to 100 - 150w. if you thermostat is set properly and positioned correctly, it will turn them on and off to what temp you have them set at

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back