Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newtosnakes

Reaction score
Just wondering, it seems to be the "in thing" to do lately to purposely spell words wrong or shorten words. Can anyone explain this to me, what is so difficult in typing complete words and sentences?? Am I being an old prude?? :lol:

not talking about spelling mistakes, that happens to all of us, i mean that people type and they mean to miss out letters in words. there are a couple of threads on here that i could point you to, but don't want to risk pointing people out etc.

i figured that it was young blood new to the site, spending all their money on snakes, and not enough on education.

Its an artifact of SMS and computers. For the first time in history large numbers of people are communicating instantly via the written language and lots of people that shortcut.. English is a living language and changes over time but if SMS and chat sites continue to be popular then the written language in twenty years will be as different to today’s English as Shakespearean English. Not much you can do about it.

Anyhow I'm of 2 c my gf b4 she starts cing other ppl

maybe.... lol. i did kinda think that it wa the younger ones, now i'm just making myelf sound old...

Fuscus said:
Its an artifact of SMS and computers. For the first time in history large numbers of people are communicating instantly via the written language. English is a living language and changes over time but if SMS and chat sites continue to be popular then the written language in twenty years will be as different to today’s English as Shakespearean English. Not much you can do about it

Nonsense, its "cos" of rap music :wink:

Mel, if they are deliberately writing in "mobile-phone speak", and deliberately ignoring common punctuation, such as full stops and commas which help us to understand a piece of writing, then I deliberately avoid reading whatever it is they have written.

This is a forum, not a text message and people should make an attempt to be as coherent and understandable as possible.

damm i have a list for all the word in sms. Have 2 find it

Yikes, I agree with the lily!

I was hungry earlier, I asked the fridge what it had for me, I wonderdered why it was silent, then opened it and exclaimed "OICURMT".

I think there is something to be said for communicating clearly. Quite often, people use acronyms because they're too lazy to type the whole word, which means that people reading it either don't understand what was said or they have to ask before they do, which means more time is spent on an explanation than was saved by the short cut anyway. Sloppy typing causes the same problem, it's a bit like trying to communicate with someone vocally, but having difficulty because they slur most words. For some reason it's still (generally) considered "bad" to slur your words when speaking, but it's considered okay to be sloppy when you type. I believe that out of respect for whoever you are wanting to communicate with, you should use language as correctly and clearly as possible, I certainly do my best to use language as well as I can, some appreciate it while ironically, others are offended by it! It's sad to see our language decaying. Typoes are understandable and it would be unreasonable to expect everyone to have brilliant vocabularies, spelling and expertise in grammar, but wanton use of abreviations and acronyms is most selfish, especially when it is expected that many people will be reading what you've written.

Okay, call me an old prude too, soz.

I agree, it annoys the whatsit out of me, sometimes posts are almost impossible to follow because every word is shortened or substituted by a number.

It shytes me like mad.
I especially hate it when people do it when they're having a go at me for something in chat/forums. If they're going to tell me off- the least they can do is do it properly in (relatively) proper english.
Or when their post is full of grammatical and spelling mistakes and they're trying to act like they're highly educated (read: Smartypants).
I figure if they're going to be throwing stones at me- they should make sure their house isn't made of glass, if I'm going to write a scathing comment in a forum etc, I will make sure I am as correct as I can be, so I don't look like an uneducated fool in the post.
And SMS type shortenings make me mad when you're trying to have a decent conversation.

well I am glad that it is not just me who has difficulty understanding it. I couldn't even be bothered with the link to rules on their language rules.
I can understand it when it is sms as their are limitations to the space allowed per message, however there is no such limit on this forum.

Sadji, you and I can be old prudes together!!

I think somethings are acceptable but not every second word.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back