Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs I

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Looks like i will be getting a Spencers Monitor in the next few weeks, i cant seem to find much information abou them except for the temp side of things. (really cooking)

He/she will only be ab out 1 month old.

What sorts of things can i feed it?

Crickets, roaches, small pinkies, what about fresh meats ? I also read earth worms is this correct ?

I will be setting him/her up in a 4ft vivarium, whats the best substrate to use?

Any tips, hints etc in helping raise the little fellow would be great.

Mrs I

xxx

What about water? Do they like to soak in it, so like a container the size of a kitty litter tray? or do they just drink?

How often do i feed, i dont want to over feed or over grow it too quickly?

Young Spencer's are sometimes nervous, and can be picky eaters at times, esp if kept too cool. My one only ate insects when very young, then moved onto rodents six months later. They can handle extreme amounts of heat, and need little water. I only offer water once a week, and keep the cool end at around 30 - 40 deg, hot end 60ish, hot spot would be 80+ on a warm day. The enclosure is around 1 meter square, though this will be his last summer in that enclosure as he is out growing it. I have a 100w ceramic on 24/7, and a 75 - 100w bulb on day only... the thermostat blew up a few years back and stays on now, he's been eating better ever since.

They can handle extreme amounts of heat, keep the cool end at around 30 - 40 deg, hot end 60ish, hot spot would be 80+ on a warm day. The enclosure is around 1 meter square, though this will be his last summer in that enclosure as he is out growing it. I have a 100w ceramic on 24/7, and a 75 - 100w bulb on day only... the thermostat blew up a few years back and stays on now, he's been eating better ever since.

Haha, sounds like you could cook a baked dinner in it's cage.

What sort of size enclosure would you need for a full size adult?

Enclosure size for 1 adult medium size Monitor"s

To keep 1 adult medium size Monitor's such as (Sand Monitor-Spencer Monitor-Mertens Water Monitor-Black-Headed Monitor-Heath Monitor), should be at least 6 foot square-3 foot high walls- the bigger the better for what ever species of Monitor you want to keep.
They do need alot of space to move around in, because they a active most of the time, and like to move around alot.
To give you some idear here is a photo of my indoor enclosure, that l keep 1 adult Desert Sand Monitor in, that is 6 foot square and the walls a 2 foot high but can be extended to 3 foot high, this enclosure can also be converted into 2 smaller enclosure if need be, because it as a devider that is inserted in the middle, from where you see the 2 pieces of pine timber with a 1 inche gap between them.

Last edited:
Jason that reptile is beautiful .......do they thrive better in outdoor enclosures? as down the track ,I am keen to set up an outdoor enclosure and am tossing up what would keep better ....I love all the dragons ,blueys ,shingle etc but have a soft spot for monitors as well..but I wont be keeping any inside so suggestions on keeping what type of lizards in a outdoor setup would be appreciated..thanks:)

Thanks everyone, im sure there will be lots of pics LullabyLizard.

I have a 4ft coming to set up until it out grows it, after that i have two options, well three.

We have an old caravan sitting in the backyard and was thinking that could be converted to an enclosure, or we have a nice patio area that has a 14 metre x 2.5 metre garden running along the side, could enclose that in, or the other option is we have glass sliding doors that lead outside from our dining room that are never used i could build an enclosure out from them, maybe with an indoor area and outdoor area.

At the moment he will only be 10cms long in body length, amazing considering the size they grow.

Mrs I

You will find floor heating will be your best friend.A heat mat will do the job nicely.Don,t have any cold spots in the cage under 30c. Good luck.

Here is a care sheet i have written up. I have attached some pics of my setups for adults and little ones.

Housing
A large fish tank (1200(4') or more) or large plastic tub is ideal for raising youngsters.
Adults should be kept in a large enclosure either inside or outdoors. IMO 4x2m would be a suitable minimum for an adult, smaller would be ok but not desirable. You will need to make sure they can’t burrow out if kept outdoors. The enclosure should be well ventilated.

Cage Decoration
You need to provide plenty of hides and its best to give them something to tunnel in, clay soil is good. Having the basking lamp over the soil or hide will allow the monitor to sleep in a warm place. Rocks are good but you need to be extremely careful how they are positioned so that the goanna can’t be pinned or crushed. Bricks and besser blocks are great because they are flat so they can’t wedge under them and they also can hold a fair amount of heat. Other suitable hides include bark, hollow logs and boxes. Climbing branches are worth adding but not really needed. Rough or sharp edges should be avoided.

Heating
They should be provided a very hot basking site around 60C is good (yes that hot, think how hot the ground gets on a hot day...) Unless in a very cold area this basking heat should be enough alone, it is important to provide good hiding areas in the hot part of the cage if the whole enclosure is not kept warm. A heat cord or mat can be used to provide additional heating. If kept outdoors in a warm area with full sun additional heating may not be needed but in many cases a basking lamp may be needed for outdoor enclosures.

Water
Although they wouldn’t need to drink very often it’s a good idea to have a water dish just large enough for them to submerge in. Keep it at the cool end to keep the humidity down.

Feeding
I feed mine chicken, rodent, roo, beef, fish, various other meats, insects and spiders but they will eat most meaty foods and live invertebrates. I usually supplement chicken necks and plain meats with a multi vitamin or Wombaroo and prefer to make the bulk of the diet up of entire animals.

Captive Behaviour
They make great captives and generally don’t bite (unless they mistake you for food). They can become used to handling but they still seem to dislike it and like their own space (like all goannas IMO). A large specimen could cause serious damage so they must always be treated with caution. A 4kg+ goanna holding on and shaking its weight around would not be cool. Being tame doesn’t always stop it from biting with a feeding reaction(just like with a snake). Mine often charge at the door at feeding time jumping and biting at anything that might be food. They will sometimes try and crap on you (they have good aim too) if picked up when not used to handling. They will also hiss and whip you a bit and can also scratch either intentionally by digging their claws in or simply by struggling. If you treat them with respect and you will get along well.

Incubation
Eggs incubated at 29.5C hatched in 126 days and this is consistent with other data I have seen.

Links
http://mampam.50megs.com/monitors/advice.html
http://mampam.50megs.com/monitors/spenceri.html
http://www.monitor-lizards.net/speci.../spenceri.html

Attachments

• spencers outdoor enclosure.jpg
    spencers outdoor enclosure.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 200
  • spencers hatchling setup.jpg
    spencers hatchling setup.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 205
  • spencers juvie setup.jpg
    spencers juvie setup.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 234
Hey Mrs I,

It depends how much/ how often you feed it as to how long an enclosure that size will last.

I had mine in a 6x3x3 for about 4 mths, then moved them to an outside enclosure of 5 metres with an inside enclosure of 2.5 sq metres during the cooler months.

As stated earlier, Monitors are very active animals if provided with appropriate basking temps (60+ IMO) and will use all available space (bigger is ALWAYS better with these guys)!
Cheers,

I.V.

You will find floor heating will be your best friend.A heat mat will do the job nicely.Don,t have any cold spots in the cage under 30c. Good luck.

Agree 100%, you will save alot of $$$ on power with floor heating.... my next upsized enclosure with have full floor heating.

Jason that reptile is beautiful .......do they thrive better in outdoor enclosures? as down the track ,I am keen to set up an outdoor enclosure and am tossing up what would keep better ....I love all the dragons ,blueys ,shingle etc but have a soft spot for monitors as well..but I wont be keeping any inside so suggestions on keeping what type of lizards in a outdoor setup would be appreciated..thanks:)

Depends on the spot I guess, if you have a spot with full sun they will love it, hotter the better. Use glass sides if possible so the glass makes it even hotter. IMO Spencer's are in a class of their own, they are big softy's, as little tackers they are a bit feisty and it takes some years to get them as big as that one ( it's a mates not mine), but every time I get second thoughts about keeping my one (usually when the power bill comes), I look at my mates big pair and it snaps me back to reality and I go fetch him another chicken neck out of the fridge... :)

I just wrote a huge thingy about spencers and the bloody thing got deleated wile trying to post it.

I keep my spencers on red sand , he was 15cm when I got him about 2 - 3 years ago now hes over 3 foot , started him on crickets and woodies then onto pinky rats , he now eats 2 adult rats a feed every week or so and still looks for more.

In the wild spencers have access to alot of food for a few months of the year and then not much for the rest so they are prone to over eating in captivity from what i have been told.
I kept mine in a standard 4 foot tank then after a year moved him to a 6 footer , hes now outgrown it and about to be moved outside.

Mine will drink water every few days I use an OZ bright 100W UVA/B spot and hes got a 70c+ hot spot.

Bloody aswesome monitors!

I even want to get another one or two :D

Heres some pics of him from about 6 months ago

Attachments

• n828735132_3611103_8207.jpg
    n828735132_3611103_8207.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 193
  • n828735132_3611106_9163.jpg
    n828735132_3611106_9163.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 160
Status
Not open for further replies.