Spotted Python Housing Advice

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorryboss

Reaction score
Hey guys, im brand new to the herp hobby and also to the forums, so Hello!

I have set up my viv with a microclimate B1 thermostat which is placed in the middle of the cage near the substrate, a heatpad stuck to the underside of the enclosure and a 100W infrared heatlamp above. My enclosure is 60x45x45.

My problem is my one thermometer which is a dual thermometer for the hot and cold side shows 28 for the hot side, 25 for the cold side. Yet when i use my infrared thermometer gun it shows the floor to be 32-33 in the hot side and 26-27 in the cold side. Does it matter if the "Air" temperature is 28 but the ground temperature is 32?

Also my enclosure came with sand as the substrate when i bought it and i assumed it would be appropriate for a spotted python since its natural habitat consists of sand, but the pet shop lady said sand is no good and i should switch as soon as possible. What substrate is the best to use?? Ive heard bark can be swallowed and cause problems as well as breeders litter?

My final question is whether my snake is relaxed or not, he seems to try escape alot and is fairly restless at night, in the day he sometimes comes out of his warm side hide and just climbs around the vines a bit and then returns to his warm hide, ive seen him drink once or twice and seen him yawning twice in the past 2 days.

Thank you =]

Hi mate Seems like pretty normal behaviour for a spotty. a 100w lamp and mat should be more than enough for this time of year but those temps are fine what is your location? And yeah dump the sand and go for kritters crumble or newspaper.

Last edited:
I'm im brisbane, but my house does have air conditioning going most of the day, so indoors the temp would be around 24 ambient. I have made sure the Viv is not near the air vent, infact the viv is currently in my cupboard in my office so that i can give him appropriate day/night cycles since i work late on my computer.

So you would say ambient temp being 28 with the floor being 32 a good temp?

Yeah those temps are fine ( you could even have the hot end a bit hotter as long as snake has a cool end to choose from) and makes sense with the aircon going.

Last edited:
Yeah those temps are fine and makes sense with the aircon going.

Thanks for the quick reply and advice. Is there anything specific I need to avoid or keep a close eye on? I can't say the pet shop was particularly helpful in that regard.

Seems like everything is fine apart from sand (you wouldn't want him ingesting any sand during a meal) and just normal daily monitoring ( I'm paranoid with my snakes and am constantly checking temps etc)I havnt used thermos much but do now and they can fail but otherwise from what you've said he sounds happy.

- - - Updated - - -

Should add this is based on my experience of living with a friends spotty for years (and caring for a lot of the time) and the behaviour sounds exactly the same (really active at night)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back