Stem Cell Research

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

motman440

Reaction score
Hey everyone.
at this present time im doing a hsc biology assesment on a form of biotechnology.
I have choosen stem cell research in the spinal cord.
I need to speak about the ethics of the research.

actual opinions from actual people (THATS YOU GUYS) will help my case.

if you could just blurt out what you think i would be greatly appreciative.

As I understand it, wether they used stem cells from the traditional methods (human embryos) or from the newer methods (umbilical cord blood and bone marrow) I say go for it. If your a No voter, go work or befriend a few guys with spinal cord injuries and then see if you have the moral fortitude to still say no.

Oh...also, if someone wants to bring religion into it, thats fine. They dont have to use the medical advancements from this research....just dont force your religion onto all the rest of us. Religion is a personal thing and should be kept that way.

Im against it. I think we are really seeing science go too far these days. Who are we to play God?

AIf your a No voter, go work or befriend a few guys with spinal cord injuries and then see if you have the moral fortitude to still say no.

Can you really justify the taking of one life for the sake of making another slightly better?

Im against it. I think we are really seeing science go too far these days. Who are we to play God?

Play God? Thats only relevant if you think God exists. Also i wonder how antibiotics fits into this playing God gig...and aspirin...artificial limbs, snake morphs........etc..........
What makes you think their is a certain point where you 'play god', and what makes you think its this point and not back at some other advancement of our medical research?

100% with earthling.. its annoying that the government is still (edited) over the outlaw of stem cell research....

i mean we use organs from dead people... why cant we harvest umbilical cord blood an bone marrow for research,
i think japan are still using aborted human embryos.

an to think all you hear is "recycle! recycle! recycle!"..........so does that apply to the aborted human embryos as well >.>

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you really justify the taking of one life for the sake of making another slightly better?
Yes I can, when the life is a mere few 4 cells old. Not much difference to a sperm or egg not fertilised and grown into an adult human, 4 cells difference. Yet a wasted egg or sperm is not unethical ( unless your a catholic and then see my first post)

Also excess embryos created for introfertilisation could be donated with peoples consent and used for the research. Better then wasting them at the local tip.

Also regarding your 'slightly better' comment.......Gee whiz, have you any idea what a human has to go through who is paralysed from the neck down? Its not nice. Think about it, you cant talk, you cant move a muscle and you say 'slightly better'.... just a massive understatement Im afraid.

All the guys I knew with spinal injuries lived in hope for a medical brekthrough...stem cells or whatever. The right to lifers, religous groups and other reprobates denouncing stem cell research made these guys cringe.
One Quadraplegic used to say "Before you push your ethics onto me, try swapping places with me for the rest of your life and then see if you still think the same way."

Last edited:
In my opinion theres absolutely nothing wrong with stem cell research,...regardless of where the stem cells come from.

if theyre just throwing an aborted human in the bin, why not use it to enrich someone elses life.

This is one topic that I will actually get relatively fired up about, and I'm very opinionated about it; in my honest opinion, it SHOULD be allowed. It would help increase the quality of life of so many unfortunate people, and it has the potential to save many lives. The cloning of organs would save countless lives, with fewer problems than using transplanted organs from other people; no rejection issues, to begin with. Why NOT use embryo's? A lot of people may bring up ethical issues such as its close to murder; it is not.

I hate it when people get messed up and argue about issues they don't seem to fully understand; another one is practices like mulesing in sheep etc. Anyway I'll get off my high-horse and shuttup before I really start to rant.

Motman, I wish you much luck with your assessment and hope it goes well for you!

GRIM I beg to differ ...untill abortion is made illegal .....which will never happen ....I say that unborn bub is better to give in its short life then to be just dumped ...either way its life is gonna end ,and ,it may as well be used to save a wanted child from disease or illness ,otherwise, its short life was completely worthless... &I find that even more sad about the termination :cry:.......as far as cord blood goes I gave my permission in all 4 births that they could have it ........I think its a good IDEA and anyone doubting ,take alook at your local hospital and go and visit the needy in there you may change your minds.........BUT I dont agree with freak shows either :evil: there has to be a line drawn!

I agree totally with earthling......I dont see it as playing god. I was 1mm away from being a paraplegic and spent some time in a spinal ward. Not nice, especially when the reason most are there due to accidents. I also as a parent would not have any problem with donating an "extra" embryo. As said above it is a group of a few cells. The righteous buffoons that are against it are, in my opinion ignorant to the reality of the situation.

Was it right to invent the wheel
As someone who has an illnes I am waiting for research to cure all ills , including mine.

Who has the rite to so NO.

The fact of the matter is real life people who have the oportunity to develope into full fledged human beings who can think independantly etc. are being murdered for the benefit of others. Dont get me started on abortion this is an issue that is close to my heart. I will never accept murder for any reason.

Abotion is the removal of a very small group of cells.......it is not murder. Its no different really to to losins a few drops of blood or some skin when you cut yourself. Its the self righteous that put an emotive arguement to it that isnt based on fact.

100% with earthling.. its annoying that the government is still (edited) over the outlaw of stem cell research....

i mean we use organs from dead people... why cant we harvest umbilical cord blood an bone marrow for research,
i think japan are still using aborted human embryos.

an to think all you hear is "recycle! recycle! recycle!"..........so does that apply to the aborted human embryos as well >.>

At the present moment we do harvest umbilical cord blood. Well, in Victoria anyway. My sister was given that choice when she gave birth to my niece

I have and always will be passionately for stem cell research. Why should we simply destroy unused embryo's left over from IVF treatment when they can be used to further research into curing spinal injuries and a whole host of other debilitating illnesses? I would much rather scientists 'play God' on this issue than do nothing.

As for Abortion, I am quite the Feminist when it comes to this topic. A woman's body, a woman's choice.

I ask any of you that are strongly opposed to abortion, what if it was a child of rape? Would you have the woman still keep that child, knowing that that child would be a constant reminder of what happened to her?

Every woman has the right to decide when and how to bring a child into this world.

Last edited by a moderator:
MURDER?? As its been said they're just embryos. A few cells. If these things can make a person walk again, or heal a disease, i say go for it. Please don't try and say these cells are a human being and can feel pain.

But it is murder if these are creatures which god has skillfuly created. They were meant to be born.

Keep fiction out of the arguement please grim.......this is no place for fairy tales.

Abotion is the removal of a very small group of cells.......it is not murder. Its no different really to to losins a few drops of blood or some skin when you cut yourself. Its the self righteous that put an emotive arguement to it that isnt based on fact.
have to disagree.....abortion is not only done of embryo /slash cell structure..BUT also done on gestational periods right up till the 19 th week of pregnancy and in cases even further along .....i am not going to judge anyone on this matter as its a personal opinion and each to your own beliefs .....but its not a choice I would make.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back