Stem Cell Research

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If babies are aborted anyway (i simply couldn't abort a child if i found out i were having one, but i won't judge those who do) i see the benefit of using them

Just to clear this up, the "babies" that are used for stem cell research are either unused, frozen embryos left over from IVF treatments for infertility that are used with the consent of the egg donor and the couple, or in countries where it's legal, are created from donated eggs that are intended specifically for stem cell research - I tried to find out about doing this in Australia, and while it's not technically illegal, it's not currently possible. The embryos are terminated at 14 days, which is (usually) long before any woman would even know she was pregnant, let alone have an abortion. Unfortunately, as far as I'm aware, aborted embryos simply can't be used for this sort of thing, legally or practically.

I didn't read the whole thread, but has anyone pointed out that stem cells do not necessarily come from a foetus or embryo? Research using excess IVF embryos is less controversial than that using aborted foetal material. Most current research uses adult stem cells because it is less difficult to get ethical approval. Yes, embryonic stem cells are pluripotential (=can become anything), but current research aims to induce this state in adult cells. In addition, some sorts of stem cells (blood cells) can be harvested from cord blood collected after the birth of a baby, a widely accepted practice.

With regard to your HSC, this sort of discussion is NOT what the markers are looking for. You are better off naming particular groups who have an opinion and exploring why they take that stance. You should also specify what kind of stem cells you are talking about in your response. (e.g. Roman catholics are opposed to research on embryonic stem cells because the Church is opposed to abortion.) An outline of the issues (or lack thereof) with different sources of stem cells would be appropriate.

I didn't read the whole thread, but has anyone pointed out that stem cells do not necessarily come from a foetus or embryo? Research using excess IVF embryos is less controversial than that using aborted foetal material. Most current research uses adult stem cells because it is less difficult to get ethical approval. Yes, embryonic stem cells are pluripotential (=can become anything), but current research aims to induce this state in adult cells. In addition, some sorts of stem cells (blood cells) can be harvested from cord blood collected after the birth of a baby, a widely accepted practice.

With regard to your HSC, this sort of discussion is NOT what the markers are looking for. You are better off naming particular groups who have an opinion and exploring why they take that stance. You should also specify what kind of stem cells you are talking about in your response. (e.g. Roman catholics are opposed to research on embryonic stem cells because the Church is opposed to abortion.) An outline of the issues (or lack thereof) with different sources of stem cells would be appropriate.

C'mon, don't point out that the opinions of folks on a reptile forum are worthless! :lol: There's too much scope for people to put on the silly religious freak act, and others to go nuts at them :p

Are you accusing me of 'putting on' an act sdaji??? HOW RUDE

Stem cells can also be found in teeth and in the iris in adults.
As for religion, it's just a way to unite and control the massess. (and make a fat stack while doing it)

The gods have gone home..

:shock::shock:
Jesus is the anti christ? dun Dun DUN!!!
grimbeny.:shock::shock::lol::lol::lol:suckers

My understanding is too that they cant use the majority of aborted embryos as the abortion process basically mangles them leaving nothing in one piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back