Stem Cell Research

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no problem with the research in general. Its just when this research inpinges on an individuals right for life. Life is a beautiful thing and i beleive murder will never be acceptable regardless. Whats next breeding people for the sole purpose of harvesting their organs or genetically engineering super men. Where do you draw the line????

Nah i think we use pedophiles, rapists and religious zealots......saves time breeding any one for the purpose of organ donation.

This is a discussion on ethics, do you think there is a metaphisical truth for which we all should obey that does not incorrporate god? There is no denying atheists have no basis for their ethical values. I worry with this increased number of people turning away from god how will our society be run?

with the amount of religious wars going on, i'd say the world would be a more peaceful place! :)

This is a discussion on ethics, do you think there is a metaphisical truth for which we all should obey that does not incorrporate god? There is no denying atheists have no basis for their ethical values. I worry with this increased number of people turning away from god how will our society be run?

Religion creates wars, segregation etc. or do you not follow current affairs?

In my personal opinion, religion is a whole bunch of people talking to their imaginary friends.

In reply to the original thread topic, I did a very quick google search and this http://www.stemcellcentre.edu.au/public-education_links.aspx site looks interesting and could quite possibly lead to some wide statistical data that would be much more useful than asking around here.

Personally I haven't ever really looked into the ethics debate around Stem Cell research so I don't have an opinion on what's currently going on in academic circles. As for my opinion on whether it's ethical, yes I'm pro Stem Cell research. I'm hoping that human cloning will begin in my lifetime.

I am absolutely 100% in favour of stem cell research, having both an amputee and someone with Alzheimer's in my family, and having met many people with spinal cord injuries. I'm hoping to work on it myself one day. I think the concept of giving preference to the life of an embryo over the quality of life of a conscious person is nothing but poor math - the embryo cannot think, feel or experience anything. Somebody with a degenerative neuromuscular condition is in a hell none of us can imagine.

I worry with this increased number of people turning away from god how will our society be run?

Rationally, without consideration of things that dont have any evidence or logical arguement to support their existance. You are wrong in saying that ppl need to make up gods to have ethics, i personally form my ethics directly from my own understanding of nature. I dont have any fear of some god or mythical creature coming to punish me if i do something "wrong", but there are still police and laws in place to prevent chaos. Religion does do good for many ppl, but it shouldnt impact those that dont believe in it. Some ppl simply cant be religious as they havnt been brainwashed from a young age and cant simply just choose to believe things without evidence.

As a christian i really worry for those who are not. Its somthing i cannot help but do. I fear god will not be so forgiving of those who murder unborn children with out repenting for it. I feel i should do my best to make sure you all understand the wonderful power of christ. Life is worth fighting for!

As a christian i really worry for those who are not. Its somthing i cannot help but do. I fear god will not be so forgiving of those who murder unborn children with out repenting for it. I feel i should do my best to make sure you all understand the wonderful power of christ. Life is worth fighting for!

How does your God like you keep snakes? Are they meant to represent the human races fall from grace when Eve took the apple from the apple from the tree?

Good on you motman, dont let the religous far right change your mind.
Stem cell research is going to have huge implications in all areas of medicine.
I am all for it.

That's nice of you, but I don't believe in your God, so I'm not concerned by what you believe he's going to do to me when I die. You (assumedly) don't value my systems of logic, so you aren't concerned by my opinion of how you should be living your life. Our choices and belief systems are really none of one another's business. I'm very glad that you've found a belief system that you feel enriches your life, that's awesome. So have I. So have the billions of people around the world who ascribe to different systems again. We ought all to leave one another in peace, and not intrude on the choices we each wish to make.

Rationally, without consideration of things that dont have any evidence or logical arguement to support their existance.

Logic changes from culture to culture and from person to person. Grimbeny is using logic in his thoughts, it's just that his logic is different. :)

Logic changes from culture to culture and from person to person. Grimbeny is using logic in his thoughts, it's just that his logic is different. :)

It doesn't sound very logically to me, it sounds like religious mumbo-jumbo to me.
Bloody zealots...

That's nice of you, but I don't believe in your God, so I'm not concerned by what you believe he's going to do to me when I die. You (assumedly) don't value my systems of logic, so you aren't concerned by my opinion of how you should be living your life. Our choices and belief systems are really none of one another's business. I'm very glad that you've found a belief system that you feel enriches your life, that's awesome. So have I. So have the billions of people around the world who ascribe to different systems again. We ought all to leave one another in peace, and not intrude on the choices we each wish to make.

I thought this was a debate on ethics.....the whole point is morals and beliefs :lol:

There is no doubt in my mind that with time, and funding, stem cell research will offer to be one of the largest stepping stones in combatting a wide renge of 'incurable' diseases....

not to mention the possibilities that they have for our OWN wellbeing.. Just imagine, mum and dad agree for you to have your umbilical stord stored when you are born, 50 years later your kidney/heart/liver (infact any organ- including skin!! - ie burns victims..) decides to shut down... out of the cryogencic freezer come YOUR stem cells, a few months later you have a new heart- your blood type, your organ, zero chance of rejection!!! the technology is there to be doing this stuff- just not the laws and funding (in some countries)...

Times are a changing, and IMO we would be stupid not to use them, if not for our own good, then the good of every one else...

food for thought- genetically modified crops are taking off and have the potential to produce vast amounts of food compared to what we grow today... would you let them do it, and potentially ease the starvation in third world countries??
thats another post though...

having a science background.... im pretty passionate about stuff like this and cant help putting my view out there

It doesn't sound very logically to me, it sounds like religious mumbo-jumbo to me.
Bloody zealots...

Your capacity to understand it is irrelevant :)

As a religious person I will comment as such. I think there is nothing wrong with using stem cells from the placenta or from inseminated eggs done in a science lab. This technology is amazing and has the potential to change the lives of many people and to extend the lives of many people. IMO if God did not what us to use this knowledge we would not have it and the ability to use it would not be present.
(I am tired of non religious zealots telling me I cannot have an opinion based on my beliefs quit bashing me with your opinions, BTW I would never have bought up religion had i not been told that I was not allowed to early in this thread, this is a free country, for everyone.)

I feel i should do my best to make sure you all understand the wonderful power of christ. Life is worth fighting for!

Having spinal injury myself(hopefully it wont need any new technology to fix), i dont hold a high opinion of those without it trying to deny treatment to those that have similar or sometimes much worse problems. I also know someone who lives in a wheelchair and probably is only still alive because they cant phisically kill themselves. It is extremely selfish to impose your ethics onto other ppl when it means so much suffering, many of these ppl cant choose to believe in Jesus so in your mind are doomed to hell anyway, surely you could find it in your heart(i think thats where religous thought comes from?) to help support giving them a better life while they are here. Then again i suppose God is probably intentionally torturing us as a sick joke or something and we must obviously deserve it as part of the great paln.

Last edited by a moderator:

Haha, but i thought your god loved all people? even Borats neighbour the rapist?
Enough preaching. Sorry if I offend you but personally, i feel sorry for you, you have been brain washed, probably forced on you since you were born, which causes you to look at life through a narrow tunnel, not seeing other sides to life, enjoying life without worrying about jesus perving on you all the time, and miss oportunities to GIVE life, go stem cell research!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back