Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Barramundi, ill try that method and let you know the outcomes

Tatt2tony, pms are replied and would be interested i think this guy needs some attention from some one more expereinced then myself i could be making the slightest mistake thats causing all my problems

he was about 8-9 inches long, tiny, but not in a bad way at all, i gave it 2 skinks after trying live mice,frozen mice, it just kept spitting mice out, but skinks it would take.. it was to small to fed rat pups to, the skinks have been keep at -22 degree c for 3-4 months now, so will cause no harm to the snake..

huge thanks to Tatt2tony to get my lil guy to eat 2 skinks today :D was gettin concerned as i dont know the feed history there is 5 weeks i know of without any food, and big thank you to everyone else who has helped me its really apprecaited, just gonna leave the lil guy alone for a while he has a good tummy full then we can try to get him feeding,

so when i get him feeding again should i use live or thawed pinkies with the doc feathers

thank you every one :D:D:D

well, congrats of the feeding! :p

thawed, live should be a last last last last last resort. :p
can u get some skink flavour fro the mice? (like mush one up and coat the mouse?)

i was amazed at how well scenting works, i tried chicken necks for the first time on the weekend, 4blankly refused the first time round didnt even go into feeding mode, so i threw the necks in with a few rats, second attempt they all scoffed down their necks, followed by the rats,....i was impressed!!

yea, its amzing ay wasnt keen on the skink blood or tail on the pinkie and in its mouth but took a skink, once again really needed some one who knows what there talking about in this case i feeled, i just didnt have enough knowledge or hands on expereince,

btw Chris1 your signature is funny as lol

so tony the lil guy would only go skinks .... how do you go about getting him onto mice????

imo i dont think that stimmy has ever eaten, it is quite small for it age.. see how you go, try some of the things i showed you..

so tony the lil guy would only go skinks .... how do you go about getting him onto mice????

I had the same problem with a Stimson hatchie, like stimmie I first got it to eat skinks. I finally tricked it into eating pinkies by crushing a skink into a paste with a mortar and pestle. I rolled the pinkie into this paste and placed the hatchie and pinkie under the hide. The hatchie took the bait sometime during the night. I tried a normal pinkie a week later...no luck, used the skink paste technique again and it took the bait. It wasn't till after the 3rd attempt on a normal pinkie that the hatchie started eating.

UPDATE: he is feeding well now, only skink scented pinkies last night took 2 pinkies, smashed them im trying to change over to rat pinkies
still wont take the pinkie without the scenting so why this is happening i think IMO i should take advantage of this and scent up a rat

but has gained nearly 5grams now,is powering along nicely and deffinetly making up for loss of food

thanks to all

That's good to hear Stimmie :D
This particular thread would be a good one for anyone else experiencing difficulties.
My son's Childrens and Jungle should (hopefully) have eggs in several weeks, and it occurred to me that the info here would be helpful for any problem feeders :D

hi stimmie sounds like your doing all the right things.at least try and find out from the breeder when it ate last sound far undersize to me usually the breeder will give you a feeding/sheding chart next time ask for one when you pick up the snake unfortnatly there are a few breeders not to many that are not very helpful thankfully most are good luck with your stimmie

hi stimmie sounds like your doing all the right things.at least try and find out from the breeder when it ate last sound far undersize to me usually the breeder will give you a feeding/sheding chart next time ask for one when you pick up the snake unfortnatly there are a few breeders not to many that are not very helpful thankfully most are good luck with your stimmie

You need to re read this thred, The breeder offered no info or communication when asked!

Well, if nothing else, this has given me some ideas when / if things go south.

Got my first snake (Stimsons)just under a month ago, at 6 months old. Have fed it 2 fuzzies (One a week) so far. Sunday just gone it wasn't interested in the food at all. Not too worried just yet, as I know this can happen, and will try again this Sunday.

i had the same problem. i spoke to a guy at the retile expo in homebush and he suggested this
-defrost your pinkie and warm it up
-boil the kettle and pour the boiling water into a small bowl
-dry the pinkie off and hold its head and head only in the boiled water for 10 seconds
-dry the head and quickly offer it to your stimmie

this makes the head 'glow' hot and it attracts the snake to them more. i did this with my wheatbelt stimmie, she hadnt eaten for nearly 10 weeks, as soon as i did this BANG she hit it harder than ever and has not refused a feed since. i was so greatful for this piece of info and will use it again in the future if i ever have the same problem. also try offering late in the afternoon, look for some signs from your stimmie like when its head is sitting just at the front of its hide. waiting for dinner kinda thing. just gotta read your snake a bit mate.

hope that helps. dan

thanks for you help but if you read the thread the snake was nearly 5monnths old and never fed, so it refused any and or food untill offered whole skink once taken that we moved onto skink scented pinkies and now update up top of this page states he is feeding well

but only scented since this im taking advantage and switching over to rats while only taking scented food thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back