Stumpy tailed coastal carpet python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wildthings

Reaction score
Hi all, I have here a coastal who was rescued after the driver thought they had run it over. I have examined the dude fairly thoroughly and come to the conclusion, it wasn't in fact run over, just looked that way. Anyhow, this snake is missing it's tail from a few scales below the vent, my query is, will he manage ok back out in the wild with no tail? Whatever happen to it, happened a fair while ago, it's stump is well healed, the snake is bordering on fat and he's rather shiny too, so I know I just answered my query, but I just want to make sure, I have never come across a snake with so much of it's tail missing :)

Yes, the snake will "manage OK back out in the wild with no tail". I have absolutely no doubt about this, as indicated by its good condition. I've seen a few wild Morelia spilota with stumpy tails and they were all in good health.
I speculate that cases like this are caused by either predation or just as likely from a build up of incomplete sloughs causing the terminal end to atrophy and drop off.

Yes, the snake will "manage OK back out in the wild with no tail". I have absolutely no doubt about this, as indicated by its good condition. I've seen a few wild Morelia spilota with stumpy tails and they were all in good health.
I speculate that cases like this are caused by either predation or just as likely from a build up of incomplete sloughs causing the terminal end to atrophy and drop off.
Ouch poor thing, I have already released him back where he belongs, I figgered the same thing considering it's condition, it had no other injuries or scars, I think I was more worried that it was a kept specimen that had escaped or been let out, and I would be doing the wrong thing by releasing it, but once I shuffled it out of the box, it headed straight for a tree, that was all the reassurance I needed, it's obviously been without it's tail for a long time because it had no issues getting up the tree without it. Thanks for the advice :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back