Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabrinnadancer

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I fed my pythons yesterday and today one of them has a swollen face. She was fine yesterday. I fed them 2 week old quail. She's eaten this before, from the same breeder, without any problem. So, I doubt it's allergy.

She's a Coastal Carpet Python. I looked up Canker and it doesn't seem to be that because it came up so suddenly with no warning whatsoever. The other 4 are looking fine. Can anyone suggest what may be the problem? I opened her mouth and had a look and there is white swelling. I couldn't see lesions but wouldn't 100% rule it out because I'm not a vet. The rest of her body looks healthy and normal.

not much would show up over night other then inflammation, so pos infection or trauma. either way nothing anyone on here can do...you know where to go.

what part of its face is swelling?

Her jaw mostly. I've made an appointment with the local reptile vet and she can't get in until wednesday. I am really worried, that's a long time to wait. She's in her own, clean, separate tank. Away from the others. I've been careful to wash my hands when handling her to move her. I'm quite upset. I want to believe I'm a good pet owner but waiting 6 days for a vet doesn't feel very good.

Anything like this?

P1070068.jpg

oh man, whats wrong with that snake??

good luck sabrinadancer, a good owner does their best to get to a vet asap which u have done, dont beat urself up. hope all goes well.

dont know if snakes have allergies.. never known one who has, but usually allergic reactions dont occur with the first exposure. sounds like it could be an infection though. i wouldnt be feeding it quail again until you find out what it is.. dont know how swolen it is so i dont know if you'll be feeding it at all.

Gary, what's the go with the snake in the photo? So I know if it happens to any of mine. Poor guy. :(

Chronic infection from untreated jaw fractures, poor bugger looked like he had his head run over. was wildlife, went sceptic, fixed him though. this was about 1 week post surgery
P1070114.jpg

It is similar to that, only she doesn't have the milky look. I just got back from work, some of the swelling has gone down but she's still inflamed. I live in central Brisbane and have booked a vet appt at Wilston's vet in Windsor.

I've been searching through Aussie Pythons and have come across 4 other cases of swollen jaw in pythons. In 3 cases the swelling went down of it's own accord and the snake was fine. In two of those three cases the snake had just eaten bird for dinner. The other one doesn't have a follow up. 'Shadow' (my snake) seems to be ok. The swelling is going down on it's own but none-the-less I'm going to get her thoroughly checked & will get as much info on this as is possible and will definitely update. Any advice on extra care for the next 6 days would be greatly appreciated, thanx heaps guys. Just knowing there's a community to turn to helps so much. I don't feel so alone and out of my depth.

Occasionslly a snake will demonstrate something known as 'swollen head syndrome" - not common but I hear of it occasionally. It seems to be linked to shedding, and subsides immediately the snake sheds it's skin. I have no idea what causes it, but it is mentioned in a few texts on reptile husbandry.

The snake literally just has an oddly swollen head, but in other respects is perfectly normal, and suffers no ill effects from the event.

Things that happen quickly (other than accidents) very often resolve themselves just as quickly, so I wouldn't pannic about what you are seeing. It's the slow-onset things, such as RI or infectious stomatitis (canker), which can take a good deal of time to resolve.

Just keep an eye on it, if it's reducing, that's fine, if it gets worse, have the animal checked out.
Jamie.

Hi,
Her head is perfectly normal now but she's not about to shed. She yawned and a I got a very good look in her mouth and it all looks normal. No swelling like there was 3 days ago. I'm getting her checked out anyway - for peace of mind mostly and also just in case their is something I need to be concerned about. It's very odd. I wonder if she hurt a tooth? She seems happy and isn't behaving in any way abnormally so that's a good sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back