take care be aware

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Every accident involving a motor cyclist is the cyslist's fault in my opinion. Not because they didn't give way, or becasue they were weaving or riding too fast but simply for being on the road. Simply because they allowed themselves to get into that situation in the first place. You have to ride like you are INVISIBLE to other road users and act accordingly. The moment you presume you are safe on the road is the moment you allow yourself to become complacent and that's when accidents happen. Wear ALL your gear in ALL seasons and ALL weather conditions, ride like noone can see you and never EVER presume that you are safe. And please, remember to turn off your darn indicators once you're around a corner!

Good Afternoon,

I don't normally get involved with Bike V Car/Truck debates as they never end well, but with all due respect ShooSHoo, you have really tweaked my nipple.

I've been riding for over 20 years, have had my fair share of get-offs and have been hit by cars.
Yes, I still ride.
I have also been driving for over 20 years and have also been hit by cars.
Yes, I still drive.

I DRIVE approx 1200 k's per week with my work and RIDE on weekends so could it be reasonably suggested that I have a relatively balanced view on this subject from both a car driver's perspective and a bike rider's?
I'm wondering, do you ride or have you ever ridden?

I put this to you:
Every accident involving a motor cyclist is the CAR DRIVER'S fault in my opinion. Not because they didn't give way, or because they were SWERVING or DRIVING too fast but simply for being on the road. Simply because they allowed themselves to get into that situation in the first place. You have to DRIVE like you are INVISIBLE to other road users and act accordingly. The moment you presume you are safe on the road is the moment you allow yourself to become complacent and that's when accidents happen. Wear ALL your SEATBELTS in ALL seasons and have SAFE TYRES AND VEHICLE in ALL weather conditions, DRIVE like no one can see you and never EVER presume that you are safe. And please, remember to ACTUALLY USE your darn indicators BEFORE you go around around a corner OR CHANGING LANES in front of a RESPONSIBLE MOTORCYCLIST THAT IS WEARING ALL OF THE NECESSARY PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT, IS CORRECTLY OBSERVING ROAD RULES, APPLIES COMMON COURTESY AND KNOWS EXACTLY WHERE YOU ARE ON THE ROAD.

Obviously, it's your statement from a behind a set of handle bars and not a steering wheel.

You see, we could all enter into a drawn out discussion about Bike V Cars but at the end of the day, I feel that your statement is a sweeping generalistaion, is narrow minded and bound to incite some animated discussion - particularly from riders.

I think you miss the point others are making regarding safe riding and safe driving as regardless of yours or my opinion about whose fault an accident is, people are seriously injured and die.

Perhaps if road rules and common courtesy were applied more fervently by both riders and drivers alike, less people would be referred to on forums such as this.

Equally as there are idiots on two wheels, there are idiots on four.
Equally as there are responsible riders on two wheels, there are responsible drivers on four.
I love driving my cars and I love riding my bike.
Safely.

simon i agree with you 100%

every one needs to use the road rules and have a little more courtesy and less will happen :D

slightly off topic but there is a 1 lane bridge in oatly (sydney) i have seen people come from both ways thinking they were in the right and refused to move, they yelled at each other saying they are guna be late now but i dnt think they relised that if 1 backed up and let them through then they would not have wasted 5 min arguing...

I completely agree with the points you're both making. Understand that i did not intend to cause offence and i am not laying the blame on motor cyclists simply for being on the roads, you have misunderstood my point. My opinion comes from someone being the wheel of a car that is CONCERNED for the welfare of motor cyclists, i'm bothered that i am not being attacked for it. In a perfect bloody world everyone would look out for everyone else, but put simple car drivers are DANGEROUS and will be the ones to most likely cause the accidents and also be the ones to walk away unscathed. It's the motor cyclists that suffer. I understand this, i am not accusing motor cyclists of being the ones at fault for crying out loud. I am merely trying to emphasise the point that they are the ones at risk and they NEED TO UNDERSTAND that. I have been involved in my share of accidents and i have never been at fault and i feel confident saying that that is because i am conciously aware that it might not only be me that could cause an accident but that i have to be prepared for other motorists to muck up too. As a motorist, either in a car or on a bike, it is EVERYONES' responsibility to drive and ride to the conditions and to keep other road users safe.

Simon, thankyou for highlighting the fact that my post held a degree of ambiguity. I hope i have made myself more clear. Again, i'm on the side of the motor cyclists here!

Every accident involving a motor cyclist is the cyslist's fault in my opinion. Not because they didn't give way, or becasue they were weaving or riding too fast but simply for being on the road. Simply because they allowed themselves to get into that situation in the first place. You have to ride like you are INVISIBLE to other road users and act accordingly. The moment you presume you are safe on the road is the moment you allow yourself to become complacent and that's when accidents happen. Wear ALL your gear in ALL seasons and ALL weather conditions, ride like noone can see you and never EVER presume that you are safe. And please, remember to turn off your darn indicators once you're around a corner!

My dad just got put of hospital after 7 months because a stupid 19 year old girl was to busy texting on her phone to realise where went straight through a T intersection...
It didnt matter who was there (car, pedestrial, cyclist) she was going to hit them,

my dad was comatised for 6 weeks over Christmas and New years (2009-2010) 33 broken bones,
torn lungs, 6 blood clots resolving in heart attacks) now has prostetic hips and wrists,
the steel fixings through his stomach to bring his hip bones back gave him sceptacemia which resulted in his 14th operation.
His broken leg healed crocked because he was in a coma while it healed and he didnt have it straight..
I could keep going on how this continues to effect him and all our family..

Not to mention his beautiful custom Harley was written off...

and i tell you what,,,,
it didnt matter what he was wearing (lucky he always wore his riding gear and a full face helmet)
he was doing the speed limit and was in the middle of his lane..

HE HAD EVERY RIGHT TO BE THERE.. it was HER fault..

She recieved a $95 fine, ( fail to give way at a give way sign)
He cant sue because he is DVA and will lose all his entitlements

It all comes down to EVERYONE following the road rules and looking TWICE before turning or entering a road..

that's exactly what I'm talking about....
I really hope he improves mate. Not good.
Sucks his Harley is written off too - I love mine :)

Best regards to your Dad.

yeah thanks mate...

he is slowely healing, the accident was 16/12/09 so he has had 14 months...

He will never be the same again and he is always sore...

But to his credit, after a year of rehab and the pain, he swore he would never ride again..

Now he has a new Triumph and is riding every day again..

Sensational!!

Good on him, that's great news he's at least back out there.
I hope I never have a big one like that.
....but what's with the Trumpy?????????

Sensational!!

Good on him, that's great news he's at least back out there.
I hope I never have a big one like that.
....but what's with the Trumpy?????????

His hips and legs are not up to strength just yet, so the Trumpy is a lighter alternitave..
he is putting in an order for another Fat Bob but there is a bit of a wait...

Every accident involving a motor cyclist is the cyslist's fault in my opinion. Not because they didn't give way, or becasue they were weaving or riding too fast but simply for being on the road...
What the?

... I drive with bike gear brand stickers on my car so that cyclists know i'm bike-aware. I tend to find i have more cyclists sitting behind me on the roads than i used to now, perhaps because they know i'm actively looking for them.
ooo...next time I see a ute or a jacked up 4wd that has a fox sticker or the like, I might feel a bit more comfortable riding near them....Are you serious? You think that having stickers on your car makes riders feel safer near you? utter bull dust.

I completely agree with the points you're both making. Understand that i did not intend to cause offence and i am not laying the blame on motor cyclists simply for being on the roads, you have misunderstood my point. My opinion comes from someone being the wheel of a car that is CONCERNED for the welfare of motor cyclists, i'm bothered that i am not being attacked for it. In a perfect bloody world everyone would look out for everyone else, but put simple car drivers are DANGEROUS and will be the ones to most likely cause the accidents and also be the ones to walk away unscathed. It's the motor cyclists that suffer. I understand this, i am not accusing motor cyclists of being the ones at fault for crying out loud. I am merely trying to emphasise the point that they are the ones at risk and they NEED TO UNDERSTAND that. I have been involved in my share of accidents and i have never been at fault and i feel confident saying that that is because i am conciously aware that it might not only be me that could cause an accident but that i have to be prepared for other motorists to muck up too. As a motorist, either in a car or on a bike, it is EVERYONES' responsibility to drive and ride to the conditions and to keep other road users safe.
Now thats what I call a 180 degree turn on your view....
Your original post said exactly what you feel. Every acciedent an motor cyclist is in, is the riders fault...

I have witnessed a few accidents that involved riders. I have found that there are few that are from poorly designed roads and intersections. I have seen my brothers best mate be taken out from a car leaving a carpark that has 6ft fencing along the roadside. His accident wasn't the first involving a motorbike, nor was it only motorbike accidents there.

I have had a number of close calls since I have been riding over the last 9 years, and I can honestly say that a small percentage were my own fault. But that said you will usually find that most of the "Temporary Australians" as Ramsayi calls them, are usually young guys who ride hondas (not always hondas, just having a stab at honda riders :p ) who are yet to grow up.

I really think my post has been taken out of context. It seems folly to comment on such a sensitive topic over a forum where one's sentiment is lost in the nether.

As riders it is our responsibility to acknowledge that other road users are not safe and thus ride accordingly. And no, if i saw bike stickers on the back of a hotted up ute, skyline or other such car i wouldn't trust it, but that's not my point.

It all comes down to EVERYONE following the road rules and looking TWICE before turning or entering a road..

If only people actually did this. I don't think that even 20% of the general population is capable of this. Nomatter what your driving or riding you're making a gamble everytime you're on the roads. :/

His hips and legs are not up to strength just yet, so the Trumpy is a lighter alternitave..
he is putting in an order for another Fat Bob but there is a bit of a wait...

Sweet!

I have a Fat Bob with a 103 kit and some other go fast bits etc etc....
Waited 8 months for mine and I absolutely love it.
She's a big bike at 305kg dry, but low centre of gravity and handles sensationally.
I see why he's on a lighter ride for a while....

I own several bikes and been hit twice by cars all at the fault at the other drivers ( at intersections ) and if you choose to ride then being hit comes with riding !!!
since i ve got my licence back now ( taken for speeding ) in tha Fat Trike ( see below ) after losing it for 12 months !!!

if ya see my coming get outa my way !!!

i have lost brothers over the years and mates but at the end of tha day its a lifestyle ( to ride) u either ride or ya dont !!!
POE%20FAT%20TRIKR%20DISTANCE.jpg
POES%20FAT%20TRIKE%20FRONT%20SIDE.jpg

Fat Trike Above SYL1%

repitilian thats an awsum bike...can i errrr....borrow it :D

yer my cuz knows that each time he gets on that he is at risk but he sees it as drive a car crash get pinned inside and die in side or come of a bike dnt get pined and say ouch. his logic never made 100% sence to me but hey it doesnt have to :p

now that "im bike aware" sticker could be a good idea, let the rta ( or authorities) make a course that people can go do and once they have finished they get a sticker, or even make it part of the L platers course and they get a sticker to put on the inside of the window but 1 that can get taken off that window and put on a new car if they sell that car...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back