The Bockadam (Cerberus rynchops)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ashley_morris22

Reaction score
hi all,
i was just looking at snakesnt sight and i sore a The Bockadam (Cerberus rynchops), i went looking on the net and all i could find was pic.
just wondering does anyone keep them if so what are they like, how do you keep the and are they any good as a pet?

Thanks-heaps
ashley

I don't know much but here goes:

They're aquatic & live in mangrove areas. They are a non-venomous colubrid (oops...I mean non-dangerous; they're all venomous now aren't they?) I think they mostly eat crabs but I'll have to get back to you on that one. Don't know if anyone keeps them but they are probably quite hard.

You can get some really nice red phase ones.

Thats a nice looking critter, never seen one before.
On that suject does anyone actually know how many species of snake there are in Australia.
Watch Fuscus jump on this one.

Watch Fuscus jump on this one.
Make sure you land softly Fuscus, wouldn't like you to hurt yourself or a bockaderm. LOL

Seriosly considering upgrading to class 2 now, I want one, been mostly considering for a while now. Soon, soon........ :|

Daisy said:
I don't know much but here goes:

They are a non-venomous colubrid (oops...I mean non-dangerous; they're all venomous now aren't they?) I think they mostly eat crabs but I'll have to get back to you on that one. .
lol, they were already class as venomous.
ps-they eat fish, u must be thinkin of mangrove snakes.

No just they have different husbandry requirements to your pythons. A hell of a lot more work too. I had them for a very short time when my mate went on holidays, bastards to feed. Whilst I usually find them on mudflats and in the mangroves at night, in captivity they thrive in freshwater on a diet of live fish

do they require a land/water enclosure?
like are the fish alive in a man made 'pond' and hey catch them themselfs
what sort of fish do they eat

Yeah a land/water enclosure is what I had... And the water needs to be fairly shallow. The fish are in the pond thingy yup, I fed em on un coloured gold fish!

go the goldfish! they now have a purpose in life ;)
so just anyfish as long as its fish

this IS intreging..... i like the sound of that but it also sounds like its hard work
how long did you keep them?

AWwwwwwwwwww Byrony :D
I dont mind answering Q's!
Yeah they should take any appropiate sized fish. I only kept them myself for a week or two. My mate has had them for 4 years though, and he loves them, they are in his living room, says he never watches TV..he just stares at his bocky's. He (and I) fed them every 6 days, they were adults so it might be OK to feed twice a week if you get younger specimens. The enclosure was 4x3x2, but I think 4x2x2 (lxwxh) would be OK. The enclosure was half water and half land, not 100 percent on the water depth but it was about 5cm

Its not really hard work I suppose, but they take a bit more effort to setup then your avg. snake, and they need to be looked after daily (cleaning), so they are about as much work as most lizards.

Ashley: If you like them, then they are worth it for sure, same as any species, if you are prepared to look after them, then get them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back