Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always admired a good aquarium when every I've seem one at a surgery, or restraunt, or someone's home, would love to have one but the effort and expense setting one up and stocking it with with an interesting range of fish, plants, snails, shrimpies has been a deterrent. Also not so sure how they would fare if we went on holidays for a few weeks - can imagine coming home and finding the tank full of dead fish and green stinky water.

How do lizards interact with the fish and other critters in an aquarium that's right nextdoor (that shares a glass sheet) would they spend all their time watching them ?

Last edited:
One of my beardies used to try and eat them through her enclosure.

I've left my tank for a few weeks and came back to everything still alive. It's amazing the amount of time they can survive for without food. I generally take anything I'm really attached to with me, which probably sounds ridiculous, but bathtubs make wonderful makeshift tanks... haha. Otherwise there are feeder blocks you can get that last up to two weeks, and just get someone to pop over and put another one in at the two week mark.

Tanks can be expensive to set up, or they can be cheap. I got my driftwood from the beach, as well as my rocks. I've collected things over time rather than going the whole hog at once. Started out small and gradually upgraded as my tanks got bigger and more numerous. Some of the cheaper, more common fish, can be just as rewarding to keep, and just as interesting as the rare and expensive ones. They're often hardier too, and more likely to survive if they get neglected for a couple of weeks. A tank full of colourful guppies or large goldfish can be just as beautiful as one with a an expensive fish and all the trimmings.

Absolutley no idea how lizards would go with fish next to them, they'd probably ignore them after a while...

Im thinking of getting into fish, I'd love to have a native tank, what could I put in there? Are there any crayfish/yabbies suitable for a mixed tank?

Really depends on what type of tank you want, community or tank buster type?

For communal tanks you could go with some beautiful ranibows, like threadfins, or blue eyes. Or if you wanted a big tank with big fish, you could get something like a saratoga, mangrove jack, barra etc.

As for yabbies, you have to find that balance where the fish are too big for the yabby to eat and the fish aren't big enough to eat the yabby lol.

Personally, I'd just give them their own tank. They interesting and intelligent little creatures. Fun to watch.

I have a heap of pics on my computer at home but I'm currently in Vic for the next week so won't be able to get pics unless I dig them up from other sites I've posted lol.

i have a few native tanks at the moment im keeping Rhadinocentrus ornatus,Melanotaenia duboulayi,Melanotaenia maccullochi,Bullrout,Spangled gudgeon,Snakehead gudgeon,Empire gudgeon,Firetail gudgeon,Striped Gudgeon,Purplespot gudgeon,Tandanus Tandanus,Barcoo grunter,Saratoga leichardti,Blue marron,Red claw,Macro shrimp,Glass perchlets,Pacific blueeyes and Hardy heads i probably forgot something.I catch alot of the fish myself which is half the fun.

Last edited:
Please share some pics of your Rhads! :)

I love those, used to keep heaps, I love the variation in locations.

Like the maccullochis too, "Skull Creek" are my favs :)

I got told about a pondage in Victoria that had African and American chiclids released in it.The pondage is for the Hazelwood power station so it is heated year round by the power station and the fish can survive.So i had to go to Melbourne for a wedding about a year ago so i couldnt miss the oppurtunity to go and catch some fish heres some pics you might find interesting.
019-1.jpg
018.jpg
005-1.jpg
003.jpg

Haha can't believe they were living in Hazlewood pondage and I never knew! I used to live near there. Could have got free fish for my tank, dammit.
Love that orange one, and the black.

Wow there alot more fish keepers on here than I thought I love that orange fish and black and all lol

I,d say the orange one is a red devil and the black one is a Tilapia of some kind probably both hybrid

I got told about a pondage in Victoria that had African and American chiclids released in it.The pondage is for the Hazelwood power station so it is heated year round by the power station and the fish can survive.So i had to go to Melbourne for a wedding about a year ago so i couldnt miss the oppurtunity to go and catch some fish heres some pics you might find interesting.
019-1.jpg
018.jpg
005-1.jpg
003.jpg

They all look like red devils, just some better than others.

I've seen pics of that place on "Australian Cichlid Enthusiasts "
Some one put up pics of some Pseudotropheus type fish they caught in there lol.

What locale are the Rhads by the way?

Yeah i could see the Pseudotropheus in there i could'nt hook any though and i did'nt have any traps.The rhads in those pics are from a creek near me on the Sunshine coast i have driven allot of kms trying to catch a rhad that i have seen on the front of a CSIRO field guild to fresh water fish but still cant catch it.Its my Moby Dick.

Really. Red devil I don't think so as we used to have one look nothing like that more bigger fatter stocker lip different head shape I could be wrong

The best Rhads I've seen came from a little creek near Rainbow Beach, but um, they're protected there.
You can find the odd nicely coloured red one there, but mostly dark blue ones ;)
Also heaps of eels and spotted gudgeon there.

What were you using to catch those fish?

you know the creek too then they are protected in the national but where the creek crosses the road on twenty meters each side of the road it is main roads not national parks. Thats what the ranger up there told me anyway. so i've been there a few times to try my luck all i got were gambusia though.I used meal worms to catch them.not the rhads the devils the rhads i used traps and nets.

Last edited:
Snakeman, they monocs or tems?

Haha i have been waiting for a thread like this. along side my reps, i have a 6ft with tons of fresh water crays, 4x2x2ft with east long neck turtles. and a 10ft with:
- 6 bar frontosas
-7 bar frontosas
- blue moorii's
-electric yellows
-tons of peacocks
-bristle-nose
-huge pleco's
- kuli loaches
-golden algae eaters
-electric blues
-Ghost knife fish!
The tank holds a little over 1.2 tons of water. Will post pics soon