Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a few native tanks at the moment im keeping Rhadinocentrus ornatus,Melanotaenia duboulayi,Melanotaenia maccullochi,Bullrout,Spangled gudgeon,Snakehead gudgeon,Empire gudgeon,Firetail gudgeon,Striped Gudgeon,Purplespot gudgeon,Tandanus Tandanus,Barcoo grunter,Saratoga leichardti,Blue marron,Red claw,Macro shrimp,Glass perchlets,Pacific blueeyes and Hardy heads i probably forgot something.I catch alot of the fish myself which is half the fun.
Nice I also keep natives, snakehead gudgeon, purple spot gudgeon, empire gudgeon, tandanus catfish, sleepy cod, have kept rainbows before. Where did you get the spangled from, I've only seen them available on rare occasions in Sydney & they have a hefty price tag to go with it (for a native gudgeon). My fave was always the sleepy cod, very cautious stalker of feeder fish, & changes colour rapidly for camo when hunting.

Id like to see that tank buchanan. does anyone here have a Victorian native tank? Im setting one up and was wondering if you run it as a coldwater tank, how large you have it and what you have in there. Im looking at purple spotted gudgeon, spotted galaxias, southern pygmy perch and tupong but its hard to find info on the fish. Im not worried about feeding etc, just behaviour and tankmates of a few of them. They are all relatively small but I was also thinking about grayling (prototroctes maraena) and its a larger fish and Im not finding much info at all on it. Any other fish ideas or help be great.

Be careful of the size of the fish you put in with purple spotteds, they will kill & eat anything they can fit in their mouths, which would surprise you just how much that can be sometimes.

Haha, i got them from vic, they're not as good as i thought they were going to be.
very little character :(

My oscars are good at eating everything lol.

So if they were large enough would they get along with murray rainbowfish? southern pygmy perch? What about with other gudgeon like western carp or dwarf flat headed?

Paul how big is your Tandanus tandanus? Great looking fish.

Haha, i got them from vic, they're not as good as i thought they were going to be.
very little character :(

That's cos judging by your photo, they were still small.
When they're bigger and more confident, they're full of character!
My mate had his pair in a ten footer and they used to follow him along the tank as he walked past but did the opposite to anyone else.
Feeding time was always fun too. Always had to have a towel on hand lol.

That was a old photo lol
yeah, even with mine they could make some water move hahaha
i'll be in some money soon.. might make a geo tank mmm.. geophagus <3

That was a old photo lol
yeah, even with mine they could make some water move hahaha
i'll be in some money soon.. might make a geo tank mmm.. geophagus <3

Did you see my geos? I got some vids as well.

Best fish group! :D

Used to have a 6 footer with a colony of Kigoma Frontosas and a trio of motoro rays but had to sell them :(
Looking at setting up a bigger tank when i get back from my holiday. Really miss my fish
All ive got atm is a pig nose turtle in a 3 footer which is up for sale btw ;)
Wish i could keep him though but just wont have the time to look after him :(

Nice I also keep natives, snakehead gudgeon, purple spot gudgeon, empire gudgeon, tandanus catfish, sleepy cod, have kept rainbows before. Where did you get the spangled from, I've only seen them available on rare occasions in Sydney & they have a hefty price tag to go with it (for a native gudgeon). My fave was always the sleepy cod, very cautious stalker of feeder fish, & changes colour rapidly for camo when hunting.

i caught the Spangled gudgeons on meal worms and small hooks on the coast here in brackish water but i have no problem getting them over to fresh they are very hardy.

Some nice tanks, i use to be right into fish - they are good fun but a lot of work. i had 2 2ft fish tanks and bred different bristle nose catfish in. i had albinos and normal. they were run off the one filter and then i had a little 2ft fish tank which had heaps of live plants and some angle fish.
im going to be setting up a 4ft x 2ft x 2ft tank (this is a water section of a much larger tank) soon but that will have my mertens water monitor.so i have to find some native fish it would be less inclined to eat....i will have yabbies in there occasionally but they will get eaten by the lizard. i might put a turtle in there too. anyone have any ideas of some small natives that my mertens probably wouldn't eat?

You could do a brackish set up and get some scats or monos?

Maybe a sooty grunter?

Depends what type of fish you like.

Eels would be cool :)

This thread makes me miss my fish :(
Especially my alligator gar, damn that was a crazy fish

Tandanus tandanus would look amazing but tank a bit small in the long run.

Yeah eels would be really cool, do you think they would get eaten?

I had the sparky out today to hook up the solar and he spent about an hour looking at my fish, turtles and snake, was pretty funny. I had him holding the turtles and the snake, he was like a kid. Love it when stuff like that happens, I give it 3 months and he will own one or the other. :)

Last edited:
I reckon with eels, if you get the right size, they'd be too big to eat and cos they don't have a huge mouth, your monitor would be safe too :)

You guys are making me want more fish, and more fish tanks! I just can't at the moment... *sigh*

True, I just had the thought of being easy to grab. I know turtles eat them. Would look great. Be a good enclosure for them because they wouldnt be able to escape.

I only said Tandanus tandanus cause I really want one but the only tank I have thats large enough has other things in it. Im considering getting one for the pond when its finished.

Get archers and watch them spit at the monitor :) now Im being silly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back