Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i breed tropical fish for about 7+yrs when i was younger and i can easily say reptiles are easier lol snakes being the easiest of all, my pygmy dragons are a bit bland colour wise but lots of attitude, as for teh larger lizzards i cant help you im looking into that one myself asewell...

also if your in qld look into painted turtles extreamly colourful lots of attitude ect :D

Wow, thanks all for the replies :D.
I'm pretty sure i'm going to get a central beardie.
Would it be better to customise my 4ft fish tank?, or buy a new set up all together?.
I'm pretty handy with wood etc if that helps.

Eastern Water Skinks ;) ;)

I have to agree with Jess, she knows what shes on bout :p. Since your a fish guy as you said your used to not handling your pets so any small skinks, not just waters, would be great. They are so active and quite fun to watch. Actually know a guy down your way who has some Morethia boulengeri available

:D thanks hornet :D Yeh I'd have to say skinks are the most entertaining to watch, easy to look after and prices are good.

It's prob easier buying a new set up but It's alot more fun to modify your own :)

from my experience water dragons are quite hard to care for, they can get a specific water dragon nematode from dirty water and they are pretty hard to keep clean if kept indoors, beardies are good but it's very expensive to keep them running (heat). Varanus acanthurus are great and easy to look after, they can become very friendly my ones always climb on me and never run under cover. Geckoes are also easy to look after. I am keeping bynoes geckos at the moment and they are very hardy and are really interesting to watch as they stalk crickets through their cage. blue tongues are good but they need a big space. Saw shelled turtles may be a good starter for you since you kept fish you would have experience with aquatic animals, they are also very friendly and not at all shy and they are very very hardy, but they are pretty messy.

Some lizards can run very quickly, other than that they are much easier to keep than fish. Bearded dragons are good pets and tolerate handling but not the most active species. A 4' tank is suitable for most smaller lizards.

if your going with 1 of the larger beardies you can get some really brightly coloured ones ie yellow, orange ect...
your 4ft tank should be fine for awhile as from now and the next few mnths there will be plenty of hatchies up for sale and most are quite cheap they do however grow quite quickly however the 4ft tank will give you a few mnths to knockup a 6ft x 2ft wooden enclosure (i belive thats the minimum req for a pair tho you might wanna double check that) as for lighting ect it can be a little hexy but no diff to any other lizzards you can pick as they all need a decent uvb light and a heatlamp/ceramic light socket.

for the heat lamp i would advise just picking up a spotlight from coles/woolies cheap *** and just the same as the expensive brandname ones.

the uv light i dont think there is a cheap way around this one you will ither need a lamp (normal ES type lamp) or a fluro battern with the apropiate UVB light whatever kind you choose you MUST make sure the bulb states it provides UVB.

if your after more info do a quick search there are a few good guides in the lizzard section.

gl with whatever you choose

UV light bulbs are cheaper at seaview aquariums than most other pet stores 23 dollars for a UBV 10 Bulb.

Haha, sorry all, but i'm getting a snake now :p.
In the future tho, i'm definately getting a lizard :D

nice what kind you looking for???
snakes are so easy to look after in general you will be shocked pretty easy to meet there needs and also dont cost near as much to setup unless you go all out with fancy backgrounds ect which i wouldnt advise till you have a decent idea on what your doing.

on the down side snakes are pretty boring compared to most lizzards they spend most there time hideing :p

Everyone recommends beardies... but I dont. :/ I can not imagine that their needs are any less than an ackies... ackies and other small monitors sound easier.
Especially if you live in a rural area... getting the right vegies and bugs for your beardie can be really difficult. And diet is SOOOO important to beardies... just feeding the wrong greens can cancel out your calcium and cause MBD.

Crickets can also cost you a fortune. The beardies gradient is probably just as difficult to maintain. I wish someone had told me from the get go that I could get a small monitor instead of a beardie... I would think as long as you do your research into how to properly keep them and you get the right equipment... the small monitors should be just as easy as a Beardie. And more entertaining.

Last edited:
Really?, i guess the first lizard will be a ackie then ;).
I'm getting a spotted python.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back