The formal introduction!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

the.badger

Reaction score
Hi guys, I know I've spoken to half of you already but I discovered the Intro's forum today so I thought I'd better introduce myself properly!

I'm Zoe, I live in the hills in the south east of Melbourne, I'm a tattooer and so is my fiance, we have 2 whippet x dogs and 8 ducks (so if anyone lives near by and wants some fresh duck eggs hit me up, we have far too many).

No reptiles as yet as we're still waiting for our license (I guess September is a dud time to apply for a Basic since they're all due then, but we're checking the mail every day with crossed fingers). The other half has already bought a hypo bredli juvie from Roy Pails so we're waiting to pick him up when the paperwork comes. And I found this tiny underfed MD on trading post while looking for enclosures that I plan on saving from starvation as soon as I can. Yes, I'm one of those...

I'll post pics when we get them, and no doubt flood the forums with endless questions.

Anyway, we're already addicted. Clearly.

Thanks to everyone who's helped me out and been patient and answered my silly questions that have already been answered in other threads. You have all been amazing.

Hey there! Welcome to APS!

And they're never silly questions when it comes to your reptiles' health and wellbeing. We want you to have extremely happy and healthy snakes just as much as you do.

Yeh welcome, look at all my silly questions and comments:rolleyes::D, but it's a learning curve for sure, and a fun one.

I know what you mean about "being one of those," I'm nursing a couple 5yro coastals back to health. The healthier of the two started eating a little over a week ago. Gave the other her last antibiotic injection for RI last sunday and is much more active but still not eating. I am hoping a week will help. It has been a battle but very educational, very rewarding and I actually feel closer to them (is that weird) than my favourate snake (my bredli).

Oh wow, where did you find those sick coastals?

My partner reckons I'm asking for trouble but I can't help it.

I will keep it in a serparate room though to be safe coz I don't know what this poor little blighter's been through, all I know is that she only feeds it every 4-8 weeks because she doesn't want it to get too big (why not buy an anterasia then!!!) and he's 3 years old and not more than 3 foot and very skinny. Poor dude :(

Last edited by a moderator:
welcome!

so nice of you to already be looking at helping a little snakie out :) just be careful with deseises and that!

and just wondering with tattooing, how did you get into it? like were did you practice and that?

I found them on the net. They were just cheap snakes and I like the big ones. The female was a bit skinny but I figured a good feed would solve that. The enclosure was big and cold to spite a 275watt bathroom heat lamp. The first owner kept them out in the shed in nothing more than wardrobe with chicken wire on the back. At least this guy built a enclosure for them and kept them indoors. He had lots of herps before but no snakes. He seemed pretty genuine, but uninformed/misinformed. He was going to a new "live on site" type job.

So I got these snakes home and started to plan a new enclosure for them because this one was to big and impractical. It became more urgent when the male starterd excapeing from the back which was that flimsy wood/cardboard stuff found on cupboards/wardrobes.
I was nearly finished the new one when the electrics died in the old one. So they cooled overnight and it got a little messy, but as I was warming them up again I noticed Bonnie hissing when she moved and yawning a lot, and the hiss didn't sound clear. As said, Clyde started eating but Bon just became reclusive, staying in her hide. So off to the vet and he gave me antibiotics to inject every second day and some F10 which I used in a 1:500 dilution via nebuliser twice a day. Last Sunday she had the fourth and final dose of antibiotics. This week she has still refuses to eat but she comes out of her hide at night and peers out of it during the day (so cute) the way she did when I brought her. The hissing and yawning has stopped also and her breathing sounds clear. Both snakes have had a wonderful shed, (had a bad one just before I got them) and they really look nice. Now we just hope Bonnie eats as she is only 1.9kg. Again, she has only just shed and I will allow a week for her body to get up to speed before taking her back to the vet. The vet mentioned something about possible liver damage and a bad prognosis if this was the case. I am hoping that her improved activity is a sign that the liver is ok.

Any way, I better go to bed.

hey zoe! no stupid questions, just stupid answers ;)
you'll learn loads, I've soaked up so much already!

yep, i found that APS is a little different then most forums, most people r nice and willing to help :)

Welcome Zoe!! Its good to see you have a health passion(that like many - ends up leading to buying animals that need help haha). You will find that there are some really helpful people on here who are more than willing to help you with what ever you need - this site is excellent in the way it caters to noobs. Don'T forget to post pics when you get your babies ha ha - we all love a good pic :)
Nat

Welcome Zoe! Don't worry about asking stupid questions as I still ask them!

Its great to see that you have a caring heart, I hope that little MD thrives and grows strong.

Enjoy your stay at APS.

Hey there welcom to aussiepythons, every one here are great and have from a little bit of knowledge of reptiles ------------------------------------>all the way through to some of the real experiance keepers!

it's the stupid answers you have to look out for(me, don't go into old posts I beg you:D!).
hope you have fun here on APS. there are plenty(too many) people on here that are just down right nice people that are willing to help, and you will fit right in.

Will

Hi and welcome. I'm a newie too and I was a bit nervous about asking questions at first but I'm glad I did ask. I now have a lovely little blonde spotted.

I wish I lived closer, I love duck eggs but since my beautiful duck past away on my birthday earlier this year I just haven't had the heart to find another.

I'm now very much aware of the addiction, I can't wait to get more snakes. My partner thinks I'm crazy. For a big guy he is a bit nervous around snakes, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back