The Human Specie, why are we all the same?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm waiting for a Tasmanian to get in on the debate. Wouldn't want to be the one sorting that out

If the same rules are followed as in reptiles then different races are ssp. I think the difference is, animals don't cross breed as readily as humans so the specie boundaries in the animal kingdom are more defined than in human pops. Also, being sentient beings and able to argue the point as we are, makes for too many scientific opinions and moral do's and don'ts for there to be an agreed outcome.
When we call Cheynei a ssp. it can't argue...... even though it carries the same genetic code as a spilota.

More food for thought.
Human taxonomy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_(classification_of_humans)

Other way around... Africans are hypermelanistic humans as the basis of normality throughout human history is "white".... thought that would have been clear given our recorded history... It would be the same as the Morelia sp. Morelia spilota spilota being archetypal and everything else from there a sub-species...

Lol, please tell me you are joking. If not, I would suggest boning up on your anthropology before making a statement like this. It makes you sound, well, ... un-read.

I am astounded by the stupidity of the majority of posters in this thread. Hang on, is it April 1st already?

As already stated, its a non starter, we are morphs not ssp or, the now redundant, race. There is ample proven literature around and as stated by another poster basic anthropoly wouldn't go astray. Its fine to ask the question but the majority go off on some stoner tangent and ignore the real answer. Then there are the Red Inks, whoo whoo!

Also in that BBC documentary series (The Incredible Human Journey with Dr Alice Roberts - my hero) she proves to a Chinese doctorate - who has spent his ENTIRE lifes work devoted to proving that the Chinese people came from a different group of men (not of African descent). However, right there, on TV she disproves his theory and his lifes work and he has to accept that the Chinese people come from the same group of Africans who went on the incredible journey...

A thoroughly entertaining watch - and something (by the sounds of things) many of you could learn a thing or two from....

I do a lot of taxonomy in my field (entomology rather than anthrapology however...lol) and 'species' is an arbitrary term that allows humans to place fauna/flora into boxes for our own benefit...I agree it is important (how can we have knowledge of something if we have not named it?) and so description of species are important. However, what is deemed a species, rather than a sub-species, is decided by the scientists who are doing the research - and has need to be made clear by their 'species concept' and have enough evidence to be accepted. Generally, we can say that all people can be classed as one species due to being able to interbreed - geographical boundaries were not in place long enough for genetic divergence to be different enough to cease this. There may be large differences in our morphology - but we have retained enough genetic similarities that it is obsolete.

Lol, please tell me you are joking. If not, I would suggest boning up on your anthropology before making a statement like this. It makes you sound, well, ... un-read.

Joke mate... I was going on the basis of recorded history and not actual facts....

As already stated, its a non starter, we are morphs not ssp or, the now redundant, race. There is ample proven literature around and as stated by another poster basic anthropoly wouldn't go astray. Its fine to ask the question but the majority go off on some stoner tangent and ignore the real answer. Then there are the Red Inks, whoo whoo!

Going by us being a morph of a redundant race Peter... can be said for all species on the planet.. The homonid family is not a straight line as most people seem to consider. We could have branched off from any part of the tree...

Obviously people don't seem to understand that sub-classifying the Human species throughout history has led to some great atrocities... I know that's not the point of this thread but these kinds of discussions (in history) masked by science has always been the prelude to de-humanising other people in order to justify.... well lets not go there.

Last edited:
Joke mate... I was going on the basis of recorded history and not actual facts....

Going by us being a morph of a redundant race Peter... can be said for all species on the planet..

Misquote, re read please, I was referring to the term race being redundant, not we being morphs of a redundant race. There is punctuation .

ps, I am very pleased that you where joking, you really scared me.

Well going on the rules of Dr. Alice, there should be little to no Reptile ssp either. That's the question I was asking and why I used the Nephrurus Genus as an example. If we are all the same, merely divided by location, colour, lifestyle and everything in between than so are our scaled friends.

It comes down to a ethical and moral issue for dividing us as a species.... stems to reason that if we start dividing ourselves into ssp. based on geographical and morphological attributes then the results aren't going to be pretty. We break that common thread we have with each other. In our nature it don't take much for us to do harm and commit atrocities to each other... in most cases a basic difference in opinions and beliefs is enough reason to well (I'll leave it at that)....... Could you imagine the things we would do to each other when we can use the justification that we are not even the same spp??

Your absolutle right though the same taxonomy methods applied to other species applied to us can justify us being devided into ssp. as your example the Nephrurus and Morelias on the other.

Thats right it comes down to morals, feelings and political correctness. I know the arguments and wars that would be fought if we were different animals to one and other. If we could not talk and were not so advanced and there was a greater power than us on earth we would be classed into subsepecies regardless of our genetic code because these are the rules followed in the animal kingdom.

Well going on the rules of Dr. Alice, there should be little to no Reptile ssp either. That's the question I was asking and why I used the Nephrurus Genus as an example. If we are all the same, merely divided by location, colour, lifestyle and everything in between than so are our scaled friends.

IMO subspecies are mostly pointless and detract from the reality where a population will generally have a number of genetic similarities that dont exist in other populations. If you want to bring taxonomy down to the level of subspecies you really should go even further and name every population that is distinct even if only by a single gene. Im finding it hard to think of examples that wont turn this into a debate about snake hybrids :lol:

People not being put into subspecies isnt really about political correctness, its more to do with them not really being valid as seperate subspecies by what most would consider the definiton to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back