Their trash = hubby's treasure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shea_and_ruby

Reaction score
So, since getting our latest baby (18 month old Jungle called Ellie who is simply wonderful) my hubby has been keeping an eye on the 'trash' put out for council pick up. The other day he spotted an older cedar wardrobe about 5 1/2 foot high and 1 1/2 square. so its not massive, but will be a great first project. Since he got it he has sanded it all back, installed shelves, doors and vents. Plan is to have a heat light at the top for basking as well as a downlight off to the other side to get light to the bottom. So here are the pics so far:

The first is the wardrobe pulled apart, the second is where the first door will be, and the second is fromt he font. Instead of glass he is using a high grade perspect - mainly because we have young kids and secondly it was free. So we will keep posting updates, and as it is our first attempt any suggestions or constructive criticisim is appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_0270.jpg
    IMG_0270.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0274.jpg
    IMG_0274.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_0275.jpg
    IMG_0275.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 174
oh how i wish i had a handy hubby!!! I have a tv unitperfect for converting but wouldnt know where to start! Can I borrow yours for a weekend? LOL!

It looks great.

For the rock wall, hubby was going to make it out of styrofoam, gap filler, cover it with colour mortar and then pvc it to the back. is that how most people go about making their rockwalls?

sounds good to me keep us updated exact same style cupboard i have my eye one:)

just have to watch the weight mortar gets very heavy so when sticking it maybe use something a bit stronger then pva

Just a warning: I used a high quality perspex on a few of my bigger enclosures, and it has significantly clouded over since they were installed about 2 years ago. It is still see through but not very nice looking at all - they are not in any direct sunlight and never been cleaned with anything harsh.

Cool find though!

great find... i agree with vixen though... perspex will age were glass wont. There r some great rockwall threads on here some with step buy step pics, its pretty easy though..... i spent ages looking at pictures that way you get a great idea in your head... it makes it easier to actually make. Its addictive though ... i havent finished my second one and im eyeing off a new cabinet on gumtree already lol... and i have no grown up snakes to put in them yet

Thanks for the perspex tips - apparently its lexon or something, no idea what that is lol. worst case scenario we can just take it out and replace it with glass or new perspex.

Re the motar - thats what i was thinking as well. will have to see how big it turns out. otherwise nail and pvc it to the back wall i guess.

hubby is already lining up all the other materials needed so this project will be done by next week i am guessing. my parents have an old chest of drawers they are looking to throw out so i guess that will be the next one for our bredli. i can see how this becomes addictive and i'm not even the one doing it!

lol yer you cant stop at one and it gets better every time:)(hopefully anyway)

Good on your partner for uitilising someone elses junk.
This nay surprise you but a few weeks ago somebody was charged for theft by the police taking stuff that was left out as rubbish for council collection as once it is left out on the road side, it becomes councils property. Crazy situation I know, but this really happened.

actually I have heard of that before now i think of it. it happens here all the time as i always see the same guys going through trash piles with their truck. i guess if any one should get nabbed it should be them!

I heard that too.... our council make you keep it in your yard, they collect it from there. You would think the council would think of it as one less thing to dispose of

sounds good to me keep us updated exact same style cupboard i have my eye one:)

just have to watch the weight mortar gets very heavy so when sticking it maybe use something a bit stronger then pva

Liquid nails seems to be the preferred choice it's worked for me so far.

Na cause if the council picks it up and it's in good nick they can probably sell it but if everyone takes the good stuff they can't make any money off it...just a thought

vines and another cabinet

ok, so we now have the foam in and sorted. most of it is on the backwall with a few pieces on the side. he has also put mesh on the side in order for the render to stick.

went to bunnings today and the woman there told us that if we were to use normal cement render then it would take about 3 weeks before we could paint, so we have gone with acrylic render which apparently should be right to paint after a few days.

So tonight is rendering. we are mixing it with a chocolate brown dye and also some pvc, so hopefully should work out, fingers crossed!

The first pic is of it on the side with the back of it looking at us. The second pic is of it looking from the bottom up. There are two vents on the bottom and one up the top which isn't pictured. there are two main shelves. hope that makes sense!

for some reason there are extra pics posted in here, so here is their story: So hubby rendered last night. we added a chocolate brown to the mix and it has turned out a bit lighter than hoped but once all the detail get added it should be fine. Have to wait until tuesdayish now before detail can be added, so in the meantime i think we are going to give the outside a few coats of varnish.

The first image is the top section, there is a vent at the top (which will be to open and closed) as well as the fitting for the heat lamp. Second is the middle, not as exciting, and the last is the bottom has another vent and a door to the left, and we will be putting the kritter kribble stuff down the bottom. So still a way to go, but getting there slowly...

ok, so we now have the foam in and sorted. most of it is on the backwall with a few pieces on the side. he has also put mesh on the side in order for the render to stick.

went to bunnings today and the woman there told us that if we were to use normal cement render then it would take about 3 weeks before we could paint, so we have gone with acrylic render which apparently should be right to paint after a few days.

So tonight is rendering. we are mixing it with a chocolate brown dye and also some pvc, so hopefully should work out, fingers crossed!

The first pic is of it on the side with the back of it looking at us. The second pic is of it looking from the bottom up. There are two vents on the bottom and one up the top which isn't pictured. there are two main shelves. hope that makes sense!

for some reason there are extra pics posted in here, so here is their story: So hubby rendered last night. we added a chocolate brown to the mix and it has turned out a bit lighter than hoped but once all the detail get added it should be fine. Have to wait until tuesdayish now before detail can be added, so in the meantime i think we are going to give the outside a few coats of varnish.

The first image is the top section, there is a vent at the top (which will be to open and closed) as well as the fitting for the heat lamp. Second is the middle, not as exciting, and the last is the bottom has another vent and a door to the left, and we will be putting the kritter kribble stuff down the bottom. So still a way to go, but getting there slowly...

So after seeing the thread that trench did about making your own vines, hubby decided to give it ago. he got two different types of plastic tubing and wound them around each other, mixed brown oxide with silastic and made some pretty decent looking ones! he made two which are about two meters in length, so will cut to size when its time to put them in. The close up pic kinda looks like a dog turd, but looks great in real life.

have been checking out ebay for the past few nights and came across a 1200 x1200x 700 pine tv unit, picked it up just then and only paid $20! so that will be our bredli enclosure after we have finished this one for our
jungle.

IMG_0358.jpg.IMG_0359.jpgIMG_0360.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0291.jpg
    IMG_0291.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0295.jpg
    IMG_0295.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_0297.jpg
    IMG_0297.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0298.jpg
    IMG_0298.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0299.jpg
    IMG_0299.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
IMG_0376.jpgIMG_0375.jpg

So not too sure what it going on up above with pics and posts, but will try again! So the render came out lighter than we hoped, so hubby mixed in some browm oxide into the pondtite and gave it a good coat. worked out really well. this morning we have been adding little bits of details and now that is dry hubby is now doing another pondtite coat. we bought all the plants yesterday - about $35 worth but they are good quality - so once the pondtite has dried we are going to silastic them in probably tomorrow. Should be done be the end of the week!

oh man

if i promise to cook them good meals, provide them with beer and keep them away from lose women would someone send me their hubby/tools so i can get some DIY done please?

not only do we NOT have the tools but neither hubby nor i am fit enough to do it either :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back