Their trash = hubby's treasure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
how many coats of render did you do? from the pics it looks like its on there pretty thick. normally its a couple of thinner coats and gradually build it up.

for all the girls lamenting they dont have a diy partner, it is possible to make an entire enclosure with a drill and screwdriver and some silicone if you get pieces cut at the hardware store, and a handsaw to cut the glass track. furniture conversions require the addition of a sander if you're planning on restoring a badly worn piece. None of these tools are hard to use. sneak out in the shed and have a go. you will surprise yourself. despite what most fellas will have you believe, there isn't a mysterious gene that they have that makes then 'know' how to use these things. Lots of the major hardware outlets have 'ladies' nights so go ahead, sign up. LOL

Last edited:
he did one thick coat and used mesh as well as the foam to secure it. i told him to do more but he is sure it will be fine. worst case he will just have to redo it!

the trouble is if its too thick it will dry unevenly and theres a risk of cracking. hence the logic behind thinner coats, thin dries quicker and more evenly. render is designed to be used on masonary/cement sheeting which helps draw the moisture out (so its drying from both sides) when we put it on foam it can only dry from one side.
Keep an eye out for cracking. If hubby has never done anything like this before, he has rushed into it and i'm not sure how it will hold up, but like you say, worse case, he will have to rip it all out and start again.

yeah thanks for that. he's just a bit impatient! we'll see how it goes i guess.

So hubby is now just adding the perspex to the front and adding the cornering stuff. we had added all the plants inside and wil be adding the heat lights and lighting very shortly! pics will be up within hours of finished project!

yeah thanks for that. he's just a bit impatient! we'll see how it goes i guess.

So hubby is now just adding the perspex to the front and adding the cornering stuff. we had added all the plants inside and wil be adding the heat lights and lighting very shortly! pics will be up within hours of finished project!

Finally in and all done. Seems as though Ellie loves her new tank! have a hide at the top (which also serves as a basking spot) and one in the middle and one on the floor. We have used kritter cribble for the bottom. First shot is of the top (thermometre will be removed when thermostat gets here tomorrow), the second is of the bottom half, and third is Ellie checking it all out.

So here is the finished product:

IMG_0391.jpgIMG_0392.jpgIMG_0390.jpg

Last edited:
I really hate sounding like the party pooper BUT you should run it empty for a couple of weeks to make sure all fumes are clear. If the heat is too close to paint or sealer it could give off some pretty lethal fumes. set it up as if occupied Including water bowl, hides etc turn on the heat and lights, set up a thermometer where the snake will be basking and regularly check the temps for a couple of weeks. Enclosures should always have a " dry run" where the will be place. Any temperature readings you got in the shed will be different in the house. Better safe than sorry.

Lecture over: it does look fantastic!

No thanks for that. We just popped her in to check for escape holes and see what she thought. We have started keeping an eye on the temps inside and haven't done it in the shed at all.

glad you like it, we do :)

:D i'm happier now i've heard that. I'd hate your next thread to be "Ellie died... why" and half your luck not having to do it in the shed, i dont know what the temps are in sydney but its eskimo weather over here... I've even stopped going to the shed so things are on a go slow until the weekend. work sux and gets in the way A LOT...

hubby had the heaters set up in the shed for when he was working on it, but when he finished it up today we moved it in and set all the heating up. looks like the heating is a goer. he's made covers for all of the vents, so if it gets too cold will put the cover over the vent at the top. basking spot gets about 33 and mid way down about 20.

i'd aim a little higher with the temp on the basking spot, maybe another smaller branch so she can get a little closer to the heat if she wants to, or even use the light as a different temp zone and put something a little higher there, it doesnt matter (in my opinion) what the temp of the rest of the enclosure is, she will find where she's comfortable, and having a vertical tank means that if you keep the bottom at whatever the room temp is then she should be fine in the odd heatwaves. blocking upper vents in winter is a great idea, just leave a tiny bit open for air flow.

what wattage globes are you using ?

well it was a 75w we had in today and it was hitting 33 - 35 and it was only 8 degrees here! so will check it out again tomorrow when it will (hopefully!) be a bit warmer. i reckon i must be part reptile as i despies the cold!

8c LOL that's cooler than it was here. 35 would be what I'd aim for. Leave the temp probe there even when you get your thermostat If it's a min max thermometer it will give you an idea of how cold it will get when the 'stat cuts off,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back