Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buy or Not

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flippy

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying my partner a Ridge Tail Monitor, but I'm not certain.

She bought me a Stimsons the other week and I want to do something for her

She loves her lizards and adores the 3 EWD we have. I've read about ackies and they seem to be a favourite and easy to care for.
I know she's always wanted a Lace but I don't think we have the room for one at the moment

Any suggestions or comments
Also if there are any really good care sheets out there for one please post

If you dont have room for a lace monitor, you dont. Simple as that.

They are very large, and as such need a lot of space as adults.

Ackies are pretty cool too. If you decide to go with a pair, make sure you have a spare enclosure in case they start fighting. I learned this the hard way and had to give one away or else risk one being killed.

Not sure about the room for the lace, don't know how much is required. We have a large back yard and an old chook run that could be used but I'm just not sure about requirements.

Is it possible to add an Ackie to the EWD? Would make it easier, not having to build a new enclosure

Just would like some feedback from people that have one or the other and what they think of them. whether it's a good idea or not. I'm guessing the more friendly \ tame the better, my partner does like to handle them

If she likes to handle them neither sound ideal - Accies are flighty from what I have heard for a fair while and well a lacie isn't egzactly a puppy - why not a couple of bluey's or something simular, easy to handle, basic housing, and personality to boot :)

hey bud i have them and love them dearly they are very comical and have 4yr old male who loves nothing more than to get in a spa bath with me he runs around the edge then jumps into the bath very funny and a lot of fun regards mick

both animals r a great choice but lacies get huge but ackies need to be fed lots and have lots of substrate

Mate go the accie over a lacie any day lve got a pr of accies thay easy 2 handle not like a lacie that just wants 2 claw & bite u all the time.Accies r heaps smaller a if kept right thay breed like chookz on a farm.

Do not get a lacie if handling is a priority. You'll hear a lot of stories of 'dog tame' monitors - I even have two here that would fall into that category - but the reality is that even the tamest lace monitors are food focused and must always be treated as an accident waiting to happen. They have stupidly sharp teeth and a strong feeding response.

Ackies are great little monitors with lots of personality and if you let them get used to you slowly (no forced handling) some become quite tractable - but it's hard to beat something like a beardie if you're after a lizard you can handle. Monitors tend to be really active and don't like holding still for long, so when you handle them for more than a few seconds most will squirm to be put back down.

Do NOT house an ackie with a water dragon. Very different habitats and requirements. Sure, it's inconvenient having to build a new enclosure, but when it comes to reptile keeping shortcuts tend to end badly.

I keep reading in threads accies are flighty and not good to handle but this has not been my experience.
I have a pair that I raised in an enclosure at eye height so I never looked like a huge predator to them. They have only ever been frightened by me when I had them out in a sunning tub with dark sides so they could not see me approach till my shadow appeared over them.
I had to separate them the first year when the male realised he was male and got very persistent and aggressive with the female. They now live together in a converted six foot fish tank at a normal bench height. The male does get aggressive with the female occasionally around this time of the year so this I see as their only draw back. They are a great introduction to monitors without taking up a huge amount space. Also if they did bite or claw you won't need stitches like you might with a lacy.
I don’t know about keeping one with an EWD.
I keep mine in their own set up. Accies can be escape artists and will get out though small gaps so make sure the enclosure doors or lids can’t be pried out or squeezed through.

Yep, I go a beardie or two, great lizards to keep, heaps of personality and most love cuddles :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back