To Snake or not to Snake ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragon-Drew

Reaction score
I have a bit of a problem. I am realy keen to get my first snake. but I I am not sure if it is the right thing to do.

I want to put it somewhere that I can enjoy it like the lounge room but my 5 year old girl is scared stiff of snakes so is mu mum and a few other friends. I could put it on top of the Jackys cage as it would then be high and out of sight for the kids, but the noise in that room with a 5 and a 3 year old is pritty loud and I do not want to stress the snake.

I cant fit it any where else in the house because there is realy no room.

I could put it in the garage but it got so hot out there today that all of the crickets for my jackies died so that is realy out.

I could put him under the house as I have room and I can walk around under their but he would be so far out of the way that I would hardly ever see him.

I would so like to get a snake but I am fast running out of ideas.

Doh Doh Doh
:cry:

It's time to train the kids Dragon Dew. I am sure that after a bit of time seeing your new snake is so friendly your daughter will come to love it. Same can definitely not be said for the wife but who cares. Just tell her your interest in snakes keeps you away from pubs, fast cars and other women. Thats gotta be a positive.

Oh, and read the thread on "breeeding for temperament". You will almost certainly have to buy from a first time breeder so that you can get a better quality snake. hehehe.

Yeah and if the kids dont learn snakes r cool, just let a taipan loose in ya livin room, that will sought em out ;).

Seriously though, if you dont want your girl and the rest of your family scared of snakes for the rest of their lives, just chuck it in the living room. Give it a little bit and she will want her own. :D

I have my enclosure in the lounge and have a curtain on the front that I close when visitors that dont like it turn up... but most of them get curious and want to look after a few visits... and then they usually get used to the idea...

Dragon-Drew said:
My wife is OK about the snake it is just the kids and other guests

By "Other Guests" do you mean mother in law. I can see some benefits here.

I think you all need to take the feelings of others into consideration when giving advice like this. After thinking about this for some time I feel you should put it in the loungeroom.
We have guests at our house too. They dont have to come in but generally their kids force them to.

hi drew i had the same problem with my litlle one she is only 3yrs old and with the miss. but now my little girls wonts to handle it all the time and i found if u get ur miss when she is not thinking that u will throw the snake at her. but u have to be fast at doing it get ur reptile out of his cage and walk over to ur miss put it on her lap and just say hold this for a min i found it to be a good then now the miss holds it for me when i cllean the cage.

I have been watching your replys with intrest as my wife and I clean up the Stuido. As I said before she is all for the snake. She has said however that the replys have come from a slightly biased audience.

I am the most impartial person I know. I can get references.
Nothing Pete, theres no room in there, its full of toys.

I dont think traffic will bother it much if its up high as you said. I think it will get used to it. Tell your darling wife (as I did) the only other option is the bedroom!
I reckon shell come around. You could provide some visual security, a curtain or some bushy fake plants or something if the snake does seem distressed.
note that if you buy a hatchy you may not see it much for a while anyway, they hide.
but your correct, its enviroment, temp etc is important. :)

My daughter was extremely scared of snakes when I got Luke too. I promised her I would never take him out if she was in the room and she was OK with that. Now she will stand in the doorway of the lounge and watch me when I have Luke out. She comes in the lounge at feed time and loves to watch him eat. She is also the first one to claim the seat right next to his tank when watching telly !! As for anyone else that wont come in the lounge cause there are snakes in here, tough, I think I like Luke better than alot of people I know anyway lol :D

People learn to fear snakes and they learn to appreciate them and lose the fear. Our boys where wary of snakes until I slowly let them touch them and stroke them and then handle them and now they love handling them. I have found the same with friends who seemingly disliked snakes, once accustomed to them they soon lose the fear.
snake1.jpg

aaaaaw that's such a cute kid Boa.

Dragondude a very hardy species like coastals or bredli are quite forgiving and would do okay in your loungeroom i think you'll find. If it is too stressful the snake will let you know, by refusing it's food most likely, in that case simply move it into your bedroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back