trouble feeding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

junglebenn

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hi all just seeking some more advice for a dilemma im having with my new snake. about 5 weeks ago I purchased a 14 week old spotted python from a respected and knowledgeable breeder, I was warned at purchase that the snake was a fussy eater but was assured that with time she would become a good feeder. the breeder gave me a few tips on how to help but im still struggling. the snake will feed happily on small lizards but nothing else. the tip I was given was to place a small portion of a skinks tail in the mouth of a pinky to try and encourage her to feed on the pinky. this has not worked once. I took a risk last week and placed the whole skink in her lil click clack home and she devoured it very quickly with no hesitation. I don't want to continue this practice cause im worried about the skink passing on bacteria or something. im desperately needing help to get her to feed on pinkys. she has good setup with everything that she needs and I haven't been handleing her as to not stress her out, hoping this would help. im out of ideas.. any advice is great. thank you.

if she is small enough, you can always force feed, it isn't the nicest thing to do, but sometimes it has to be done for tricky feeders like this, then eventually it will accept assist feeding (where you just force it into its mouth, and it will eat the rest by itself). Then again after it will get the idea then it should take pinkies voluntary, have you tried just scenting the pinkies with a dropped skink tail? this may get it started off also, there is also a number of other different scenting methods that may work but not that i am familiar with (eg, braining, yolking, tuna juice even etc..)

Ok first of all force feeding is a last result and should only be done by someone who knows what there doing or you could stress your snake out and completely turn it off feeding. If its taking skinks you shouldn't be to worry just freeze the skinks for a few weeks to kill the bacteria. Try turning the skink into mush and mix it with hot to warm water and marinate the pinky in the watery skink paste or try quails snakes love quail

ne suggestions on forms of senting I can try.. I have tried using bits of skink as scent but no luck. im having serious problems finding skinks as it is.. ive never seen anything from stores or online that can help.

Ok first of all force feeding is a last result and should only be done by someone who knows what there doing or you could stress your snake out and completely turn it off feeding. If its taking skinks you shouldn't be to worry just freeze the skinks for a few weeks to kill the bacteria. Try turning the skink into mush and mix it with hot to warm water and marinate the pinky in the watery skink paste or try quails snakes love quail
she is still to small for quail. only bout 30cms long

My fail-safe method of getting my problem feeders to eat:

Buy day old quail (simply because you get the most for your money).
Freeze the day old quail individually (They get stuck together in the freezer if you don't separate them and that's just a pain).

At feeding time:

• Take out your appropriate sized feeder and one day old quail.
  • Snap the day old quail in the middle so the organs are exposed.
  • Wrap both the feeder and quail in gladwrap together quite tight, like a little package.
  • Place the quail and the mouse over a slightly warm surface, I use the top of my bearded dragon cage over the heat source. (Warm not hot!)
  • Leave them defrosting all day until the mouse is sufficiently covered in the yellow paste that forms over the hours.
  • Heat the package in a warm cup/bowl of water when you are ready to feed.
  • Take the feeder and offer it to your animal, if it is not taken, offer the quails body excluding the head (I worry about the beaks myself).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back