Turn off Heat Lamps at Night?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally don't bother turning my heat lamp off, it's a long enclosure and I've set up all sorts of spots so he can relax whether it be on either end.
Such as a log to bask on under the light, vines to hang off throughout the entire setup, and a pool on the cool end :D

ok so what are dangerouse temps to get to for a jungle python i run a thermostat so the heat turns off at 30 but how low can it get over night before it starts being bad for the snake just so i know wheather i should turn the lamps off at night or leave them on

Over heating (ie for too many hours a day) possibly may effect the metobolism of the animal and could cause issues with gravid females developing eggs that effect the hatch rate. ALWAYS do you absolute best to study the temperature your animals would receive if they were wild and try your best to replicate them, they live in certain enviroments for a reason and on most cases, heating is a big one of those reasons.

how was that being a smartalic?

i feel bad putting my diamond back in a cold cage after feeding her, she goes to where she sometimes finds heat and waits.
i was wondering what other people do,..i cant see how that was so offensive to you.

chris, i normally feed my snakes mid morning, so i dont need to worry about giving them extra time for the heat. but if i did feed them late in the day i would leave the heat on a couple more hours.;)

but how cold can they get before it starts to be a problem i just want to know so i can turn off the lights tonight and check that it dont get below that tomorrow morning before i put the snake in on saturday

cheers mate i will do another test run tonight to make sure it dont get colr than that to make sure the thank is perfect for my new little mate on saturday :)

I think some people fuss way to much ...imagine you being stuck in a warm area even in winter it can get stuffy ..why would you put them through that ..they do seek COOL areas very COOL areas especially in summer months ..

I have worked for a reptile company and went to a party very far away in the middle of winter. We arrived at about 7am and it was about 8 degrees... the transport boxes for the reptiles had no heat.

None of them died but they were very, very sluggish but we held them down our shirts for a bit and they warmed back up and were fine. I don't think they can get "too cold" overnight because they're always only a few hours away from a hot light coming back on. My room gets cold in winter but none of my animals get heated.. in the morning they just drag themselves out under the light and away they go. They're a lot tougher than people give them credit for.

They're a lot tougher than people give them credit for.

yeah totaly agree.

if a snake is healthy and in good nick i think ppl would be surprized what they could with stand.

i only 12 degrees because jungles in there natural environment would not go much below this.

we have coastals and diamonds around our area and it gets as low as 0 in winter and they are still around year after year. and tigers around our farm in oberon in it gets well into the negatives and still year after year they are around.

chris, i normally feed my snakes mid morning, so i dont need to worry about giving them extra time for the heat. but if i did feed them late in the day i would leave the heat on a couple more hours.;)
so if i feed my snakes at 4.30 - 5pm [ as i work from 7am - 4 pm] and the heat go`s off at 8pm then that would be ok? i used to have my heat emitters on 24/7 but tonight i have my timers to go off at 8pm and come on at 5am ...

All snakes should have an insulated hide.
This will help them to maintain their body heat, similar to wild conditions

Some awesome information here. Thanks guys! Keep the opinions coming.

So far I reckon I'm definitely going to turn off my heat lights at night.

thanks Thebraddles! :)
thats a great idea, ill feed her sat mornings and leave her in her sunning cage for her a few hours,..!!
(obviously not in the direct sun,...)

wow that snake has a huge lump Jason, i guess i worry about heating more than i should. :)

With electricity bills set to soar from next year...some say up to $700 a year or more...then reducing your heating bills by halving the time on is a good option for both you and the snake.

I have also come up with a method to help my snake thermoregulate. I have a larger hide that is about twice the size of the snake and a smaller one that is so tight that if I lift it up the snake almost comes up with the hide.

The snake invariably chooses the tighter hide...but the bigger one is there which is a little cooler if it needs it. It uses both and I leave it up to her.

I just dont handle my snakes until they come up to normal temps as I find they can be a little grumpy when cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back