turning a tv cabinet into an enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

herp.derp

Not so new Member
Reaction score
would like to get some opinions on turning a tv cabinet with hinged glass doors like this one into a snake enclosure

AMW-ST3243GUS-L[1].jpg

assuming its adequate size to house a year old darwin carpet python, what sort of things would i need to turn it into a suitable enclosure?

would plan to:
-take out shelves
-install heat lamp
-install fluorescent light
-install thermostat
-install vent
and possibly place some sort of foam around the frame of the doors to close gaps

what other things would i need to do?

I would take the doors off and put tracks and sliding doors in

The shelving,isnt that held up with little clip things that go in little holes? Would those need to be sealed also? Or perhaps make a couple a little larger so you can drill branches n stuff in. Maybe if the shelves are the right size,use one as a backing thing (sorry i dont know correct terms yet) on the enclosure,adding stuff to that so that it looks more like a rockface or such.

My coastal is in a cabinet similar to that. You will need to put a ply back on it (usually tv cabinets have a short masonite back with gap so wires can go out the back) screwed on, not stapled. Fit 2 vents,lower on cold end, higher on warm end (or low at each end and one on top).

I would reccommend use a heat mat & thermostat for heat at warm end and only a small basking light for basking (not heating) and maybe a small flouro for viewing.

Polystyrene around the sides and back, with soldering ironed gauges to make it look 'rock like' looks good painted... takes care of those shelf pin holes. (Leave vents uncovered)

The doors can be adjusted so minimal gap all around. I am still looking for a lock for that type of door. At the moment I screw a screw between the doors into the bottom with a small plastic washer, so the snake cant push doors open. Just means the key is a screwdriver til I come up with a better lock.

Should be good and easy to do :)

I am currently using a converted tv cabinet for my yearling bredli. They look great, don't they!

Your plan sounds great. This is exactly what we did.
You'll need to also water proof the bottom of the cabinet, if it isn't already, it makes it a lot easier to clean! You can grab all this gear from a local reptile shop or online. I would personally put tracking and sliding doors in, as it will be easier to open and also give you a barrier for you floor sand. I'm sure you gathered you need to block up the larger holes, you can leave the smaller holes as I'm sure your yearling won't fit in them, they can just act as air vents.

Here's a pick of ours(sorry, not the best pic. We also haven't put our 3d rock wall in, which we're still in the process of doing). Our bredli loves it! :)

View attachment 248234

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back