Unusual BHP Hatchling

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if you look at the big picture, it may be a better option to offload the animal. Developing a specific line from single animal showing a certain trait takes a long time. If the animal is placed with a reputable breeder who already owns others with the same or similar attributes, it allows more of them to be bred in a much smaller time frame.

I agree, not only because we are working on this particular trait, but for future availability. The more that are produced, the more that'll be available to other keepers at an accelerated rate! The best way to produce more is to pair it with an animal that is similar in every way!................

very very nice BHP. I would love to get that but I'm sure den is well on the way if she's not holding it back :)

What an awesome BHP!! Congrats Tanz!! I wish i had the money, i'd be bidding too. :cry:

Outta curiosity, what locality are the bhp hatchlings? :D

Awesome looking BHP. Just out of curiosity, you didn't happen to buy the parents from Den as part of his Ochre Line did you??????? If you did, I can see him kicking himself now. lol. Congratulations!!!!!!!!!

Very nice Tanzen,didn't realise it was that nice when you were telling me about of it.Definately hold on to it. Dont listen about it taking years to establish the line,you have the parents which have the gene to breed to the hypo.

Actually thinking about it realistically if you decide to sell you should definitely speak to Denver about it, his line is stunning and already established and that animal will only enhance it short term and of course longer term.

I'd sell it for sure. Like the other guys said, starting a line with the one animal will take years - depends on you circumstances I guess. You will make a nice profit now, and if the parents produce any more, you will make more profit :) Well done!!! It's every herp breeders dream to see something different pop out!

Last edited:
I would hold it, keep breeding the parents while it grows and you might get another one or two over the next few years.

I love it - four pages in 8 hours with people lapping at the door...

It seems weird that we choose to breed defects into our snakes - in the wild these ones would be less likely to survive of course making them rare.

Certainly not lotto - but a bit of stress knowing if you're doing the right thing.

Well good luck :)

Update

Wow..that took some reading through! I went out for a while...and am just catching up now. Thank you everyone for your kind regards, feedback and humour! LOL :D
The lumps are water spots from a misting.
I didn't buy the parents from Den. As far as I know they were from unrelated lines as I bought them a year apart, both from different young lads, one in Brisbane and one up the coast.
At first I thought I had really messed up! It took me a while to realise what it was. Gender as yet unkown. I give all credit to my poor little girl who laid those eggs...that just aint right!

Pics

here are the pics of the other hatchies as requested

Attachments

• BHPHATCH.jpg
    BHPHATCH.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 316
  • BHPHATCH2.jpg
    BHPHATCH2.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 198
  • BHPHATCH3.jpg
    BHPHATCH3.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 236
  • BHPHATCH4.jpg
    BHPHATCH4.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 322
Very nice Tanzen!

Just a bit of advice on giving BHP hatchlings the best start to life. Set them up in a smaller tub with decent ventilation. Run them on a thermostat controlled heat mat or cord with the tub place 1 third on the heat source giving them access to atleast 34deg 'basking' area. (BHP hatchlings love to soak up the heat). The 2 thirds off heat will give them a suitable cool spot which they need also. Paper towel is the best substrate to get them started. Also place a few pieces of damp paper towel over them (and spar it moist every day) so as they have a place to hide and to give them extra humidity before their first shed cycle is complete. Give them access to fresh water at all times, as soon as they hatch most will go to the water after their big ordeal of leaving the egg. After their first shed the paper towel no longer needs to be moistened every day.

Keep them in a place where they are not disturbed or bothered by people looking in. They can be stressy little critters at times!

Hope this helps
Den

Pics show the method we use for raising hatchlings. Also the last pics shows a hatchling straight out of the egg drinking within 20mins. You can see the fragments of vermiculite on the front of the tub that rubed off from the hatchling.

Last edited:
He will have to do better then that Troy, I did !

HAHA, go Nicky.........let the bidding war begin:):)

How deep are your pockets??;);) LOL

As Ash just said to me, alls fair in love and war.....It's love between us though xoxox

Catch up soon mate

Last edited:
If you decide to keep it let me know and we'll get some food into it a soon as it sheds. Try to give it the best possible start to life! You've got my mobile no.

All the best mate, if you need anything give me a bell.
Den

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back