Urgent Need Help!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Compacted with the sand in th substrate? Probably nothing to do with the feeding, pooing thing.

yeh you could possibly be right there.... It may not have anything to do with whether he has sh** yet or not.. But always good to no

Sunny,

I live in rural QLD, i went to my local snake vet and gave them the phone number for Joe at Heathcote Veterinary clinic. They liased and Joe advised them of the medication required for my snake. Try Terry Bellamy tomorrow who will be working out of Canely Heights Veterinary Clinic or Joe at Heathcote or even David Vella at Crows Nest. Give them a call and discuss your situation.......she can advise your vet on the apprpriate treatment but it's not sounding healthy.

Also, i don't see why the vet should have squeezed anything out of your snake without having a clue about the snake. It seems it has only furhter aggravated the issue.

Maybe PM DrNick on this site?

i had a BHP and it started to act like that...not supporting it's body weight, had a odd lump near it's rear end etc. i found it like that in the morning and in the afternoon before i could even find a reptile vet it had died. really really hope that it all works out for you.

all i can say is one soak this animal for 15mins three times daily starting right now to maintain hydration. 2, get it back down to the vet, get him to excavate a fecal sample and check for parasites. if possibly research blood taking and get a blood sample. take a smear and do a white blood cell count, all so look for any abnormalities. continue maintaince care, heat and hydration if needed tube feeding with hill prescription diet a/d. find out what antibiotic he gave it and what dose. you also want to find out what this lump is, the vet can decided how he wants to check that, whether they want to aspirate it or get it xrayed. unfortunatley he doesnt sound very well. but that does not mean its not saveable. well the above is waht i would do, there is soem very good exotic veterinary book that im sure he could get a hold of, if not get him to contact a reptile vet via phone.

cheers
H.

Also i think your vet probably should've done an ultrasound before squeezing fluids out of the animal.

Secondly, while some have suggested impaction, don't write off the possibility of a cyst. The vet may have burst the cyst by squeezing, causing it to go septic. I'm not saying it is a cyst, but ANYTHING is possible. Christ i had a snake die from leukaemia, who the bloody hell would've thought that could happen. The vet up here didn't.

yeh you may be right, but its not good for them to eat if they havnt sh** out there food yet, because it can get stuck and that does make them very sick.....

Glide, you're right, sunny is 500k's from a vet. Now 1000k's a hell of a long way to travel.

becca. give up while you are ahead. Whoever told you that is just plain WRONG.
I have only ever had 1 snake that wouldn't eat until he had emptied out. All the others empty when their ready.

You were right Jason it wasn't a happy ending. Sorry to say my BHP just died. I am so annoyed that there is any reptile vet with in 500km of me.
Thanks for your help anyway guys.

well jason you need to do a check up on your snake expertise, because they can get sick if they dont poo. Wouldn't you get sick if you diddnt.....?
But hey think what ya want, every1 is open to there own apin.

Oh geez Sunny. I am so so sorry for you. Maybe you should take your snake to the vet anyway, and have an autopsy done. At least that way you will know the cause. Once again, my condolences mate.

sorry to hear that darlin, but yeh that sounds like a good idea take it to the vet and just see what was inside....

so sorry he hear that sunny, i hope you are ok, just keep in mind these things can happen and it's not your fault so dont beat yourself up over it, :)

Becca, i cant speak for jason but i think he was refering to the info given in your first post.

"alot of snakes can get very sick if they try and eat once they already have food in them. You should never feed your snake untill it has poo'd out the food it last ate."

This imo is wrong info...

Like jason I thought it would be all over soon, how sad.

Gotta agree with jason 100% re the feeding bit. Just another old wives tale.

make sure it is deffinately dead some flat snakes can surprise you when they suddenly move again.

The vets i contacted were as helpful as they can be on a phone with out looking at the snake directly, i did give these people a call Dr Mark Simpson, David Vella, Peter Wilson, Allen Ogeady, Adeliade Zoo, Taronga Zoo and Australia Zoo, so if you live in the bush a 100's of km from a Herp vet these people are realy good and do everything thay can via phone to help.

Thanks again

Sorry to hear that - you did the best you possibly could under the circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back