Urgent Ridge Tailed Monitor Help!!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok fair enough :) I'm not very familiar with monitors, hence why I kept saying 'feel free to correct me.' I knew some species (or is it all) like really high temps, but wasn't sure which, so was sticking on the safe side! Thanks for the correction

You obviously care for your animal and if this condition is life threatening, how will you feel if the animal dies, I am not trying to make you feel guilty but if your on going care and finances are not going to be sufficient maybe you should consider surrendering the animal to someone that can provide these, you maybe able to come to some form of agreement with this person where is it will be returned when your situation changes. Maybe you should make some pamphlets up around your local area advertising for odd jobs, this may enable you to fund your reptiles in the future and creates a great feeling of satisfaction and financial independence.

i know you care about your ackie very much but the first thing you should of done before you bought it was make sure the enclsoure wat right like you should of got a uv light it healps alot but keep doing your research.hope he gets better.

I agree with the argument that, until you actually know what is wrong with the monitor, there is little point in trying to treat it. While you try to make the problem better by treating it for one thing, you could ultimately be sealing his fate by leaving the real problem untreated for a longer period.

Pets are a big responsibility. They rely on you for everything, and for the animal, your love is pretty far down their list of requirements if you aren't also providing them with the right food, water, environment, supplements, and health care.

Let us know if you do the right thing and speak to a vet..

yes i am going to speak to a vet
and i could afford 4 my pet until like 2 weeks ago.

i now have calcium supplement for all of my animals, so im learning from my mistakes and i am going to if possible takew him to a vet.

Aslan: Thank you for your help, i do know that it is my fault cause b4 purchasig my ackie, most sites said that it was not needed(calcium that is). that was until i learned of this site. but it never occured to me because he has been fine.

just wondering, do snakes and other reptiles need calcium dust and other similiar prducts on their food.

same question but about UVB please.

I think Aslan touched on it, but looking at your last lot of photos, the globe you have in your set up looks like a simple 40 watt globe, maybe even an energy saver, at the height it is in the tank, I don't think it would be able to produce the heat you would need, could this also contribute to the problem?

I think Aslan touched on it, but looking at your last lot of photos, the globe you have in your set up looks like a simple 40 watt globe, maybe even an energy saver, at the height it is in the tank, I don't think it would be able to produce the heat you would need, could this also contribute to the problem?

Sorry, just noticed the Red Light in the other corner, still don't think it would be sufficient, you might need to get a thermometer and test your hot spots.

that one is just a light

the red globe is the heat globe,

the hot end in around 35-40 gradient and the cool end a bit lower

you need to get the hotspot upto 65 degrees chief. build a retes stack and get the animal up to the heat.
i agree with all that kitah and aslan have said.
go back thru thier posts and read them carefully and take their advice. they are spot on.
i can see from your posts that things are difficult. hang in there man things will improve for sure for you, you seem open minded and logical, but please read over the posts again.
one other thing, what mince are you feeding, if you must feed mince i would make it chicken but not regularly, once a week is fine,
heres another link http://www.herpcenter.com/ackie-monitors/ with other links inside
good luck

You are getting lots of feedback on the husbandry issues that led to the problem and I agree with most of them.

On a positive note I have had animals (geckos not monitors) with similar symptoms which given enough calcium, uv etc. have never really got over the problem but have gone on to live long and healthy lives and even breed successfully.

For all my lizards I incorporate calcium into every meal.

If you are feeding live insects I find that crickets hold the calcium they are dusted with much better than feeder roaches.

yer is there anybody in Brisbane that would happily take him for me.
i know that it means me losing him but i would rather that then him dieing.
maybe i could take back off you for a price at a later date once im financially back on track?

if anyone is interested just pm me please.

yer is there anybody in Brisbane that would happily take him for me.
i know that it means me losing him but i would rather that then him dieing.
maybe i could take back off you for a price at a later date once im financially back on track?

if anyone is interested just pm me please.

Wow, good on you! That takes a fair bit to give your animal up, but it well and truly shows you really do care about him, and it shows you are trying to be responsible so good on you! Maybe make another thread to ask people, might get seen a bit more than here?

I wish both you and your monitor all the best, I really do.

contact shannon on this sight, she lives in brisbane and is a wildlife carer her user name is shannon, hope all goes well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back