Urgent!!!! Very sick childrens python :'(

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
just read the whole thread. sorry about all the opinions and snide remarks... comes with the forum.

glad that his is doing ok. and by the sounds of it much happier too.

its sad to think that a breeder could tell you this adivce, so dont worry to mch about that, many new snake owners do exactly what their breeder has told them, and its not until the research or come on here they find different.

as far as everything else. I wish you all the best in the future, well done for hanging in there. and keep us updated please =)

Thanks Nes88c.
I found out that some people can be very vicious on here. But if you can get over that there are so many wonderful helpful people that don't want to judge they just want to help.
Aladdin is on the mend and is looking like he is going to shed so I will photograph him soon as he does. Hoping he will look a lot better once he does. I know he is a lot more active now he has had a feed so I'm so happy about that.
Thanks again :)

He'd be due for another feed in the next couple of days won't he Jacinta? It'll be interesting to see how eager he is to take it.

I will try him again tomorrow Gruni. I will be interested to see if he eats :) fingers crossed!!!!!

He'd be due for another feed in the next couple of days won't he Jacinta? It'll be interesting to see how eager he is to take it.

I just read the whole thread too :shock: Wow, an epic... you poor thing jacinta! (and your snake too) One thing I have been wanting to comment on all along, is his toung flicking properly? (out up and down back in again) If they are dehydrated or really sick the toung flicking stops.

Also, a (1 single) fuzzy?? that wouldnt be a feed for him? If I were you, I would be feeding him 5 fuzzies.... if he will eat one, feed him heaps (til he gets better) If he has been living on 1 fuzzy a feed, he might be starving? That could be why he is healing slow? Just a thought, not a criticism.

When you feed a snake, the food can be the size of the girth of the snakes stomach (or a little bigger), dont go by the size of its head (sometimes it looks like he is putting a volkwagen into a sleeping bag :lol:). Looking at the pic earlier (of the healing hole) I would have thought he was feeding on weaners at least. I realise he had a sore mouth (so small food for ease of eating) but I am sure he needs more than 1 fuzzy a feed? If your snake eats say, young adults for example, and you are out and only have say, fuzzies, you have to feed the snake the same weight of fuzzies as the young adult would weigh) How is his mouth now by the way? How is the hole now?

If I were you, jacinta, I would get a packet of fuzzies (if his mouth is still sore, if its better, some weaners) and let him eat as many as he can take, then give him plenty of heat (30-32 degrees) If he has only been getting one fuzzy every month (on average with his non eating periods) he might be very weak.... feed him up... IMO

Good luck, please give us an update soon ;)

Bear in mind Ratbag that Aladin has been a fussy eater so the fact that he took anything is a big step forward. You may also want to explain how to know when to offer the next food item. My guy hides while/after he has started to swallow the food, so when I have double fed him I gave him one at lunchtime and the next one when he was a bit active that evening, but that is just because of his behaviour. My mate feeds his once the food bump is all the way down so about twenty minutes after the first item has entered the mouth.

Ratbag the first time he ate after being sick was 2 fuzzy's. i know it wasn't enough but it was all he would take so I was happy. Last week when he ate it was 2 small rats. Well and truly enough for him. His tongue slowed down yes as he was very dehydrated.

UPDATE ON ALADDIN....... He is still shedding as his skin was so bad it did not come off in one nice piece. But OMG the most of him that has lost all shed looks 200% better. He is very active and looks great. the tongue is going a million miles an hour. I offered him some more food today, but he just got pissed off with me, he didn't want it. His hole is healing well. it is just like smooth skin on a human now, at least there is no hole :) View attachment 246164

and the fact that he was getting cranky at me shows improvement to. but heh didn't want me taking his photo so its not a good shot of him sorryView attachment 246165

So there is is, out of trouble and looking totally beautiful again. Will start playing with him again soon :)

Thank you to everyone who helped me out and was concerned for Aladdin.

Last edited:
Your attachments didn't work Jacinta, try editing your post or try a new post and use the 'Go Advanced' button and use the manage attachments option, then bottom left press 'Insert Innline'.

That is great news on the whole, he certainly seems to be out of the woods. Have a look through some of the threads about 'retained shed' you may need to help him a bit as it is critical that no bands of shed are left behind to restrict bloodflow.

So cool to have a happy ending to this story. 8)

Gruni, for some reason i can't get photos to load, when i went back to edit it says they are fine. anyway i have put them in the album on my personal page so you can see them.

I will look at the shed threads. thanks :)

Thats great jacinta, good news :) Did the vet ever say exactly what he suspected it was? Was it a burn or an injury that went septic? Glad he is well on the mend tho :D

Gruni, I ran out of small adult rats for my 4 big ones, I only had a bag of fuzzies, so they each got 3 :lol: (they thought it was christmas) When I feed multiples, I wait for the first to go down and the snake puts its jaw back together.... then offer the next.... and so on. The reason I wait til they have re-assembled thier jaw, is so they dont strike at the next rat with the jaw bones out of place and knock something on the follow thru and risk damaging thier jaw.

All of my snakes scoff thier rats like there is no tomorrow, right there where they strike and coil it.... :shock: sometimes hanging half off a branch or half in a hide. (lets say.... they arent particularly fussy eaters):lol:

Usually after even the biggest feed, they tend to go hunting, just in case they missed something... before retiring to the hide for a nice warm sleep.

If yours are a bit fussy, you can try wetting the rats head (helps it slide down the hatch) or try wetting the whole rat. (evidently the rat tastes different when wet? I don't know, havent tried) Or if you are feeding wet rats or heads now, try giving dry rats? Just do some experimenting to see if you can get snakes interested. Even poke the rats head from between rocks or shrubbery and make the snake think it has to 'catch' this victim....this might inspire a more direct feeding response

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back