Using TOD with Hatchlings

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaggy

Reaction score
My little coastal carpet has mites :(
I have totally cleaned her enclosure and disinfected it and her bowl etc.. I bathed her in warm water and this did seem to get rid of a lot of them, but not all.

Is it safe to use TOD on young snakes, if so are there any extra precautions I should take?

or

Does anyone have a better suggestion to get rid of the mites?

I did read in an article that diluted frontline can be used, has anyone tried this? Of course, I want to use what is the least harmful for her.

honestly i dont no but if i were you i would call a vet or even australia zoo if you live near there. just a thought

TOD is probably the best thing to use, years ago when a freind had mites, we used TOD on adults and juvs with no dramas, we used a tall plastic container, open lid for air to move around and placed the juv inside we did directly spray the snake just over the top of the container so it will fall slowly ontop....we left the snake inside for 30 seconds, we did this once a week over a month and everything was fine..

Yes, I agree, TOD is the way to go.
Remember to remove the water bowl first before spraying.

Also put the snake into his viv with either paper or paer towel(if you aren't already), at least for a month, so you can easily monitor the presence of the mites.

Neil

Thanks for the advice, I also talked to the pet shop who said they use it on their young pythons. So I'm off to buy some.. at $25 a can.

Cheers.

Re: RE: Using TOD with Hatchlings

Shaggy said:
Thanks for the advice, I also talked to the pet shop who said they use it on their young pythons. So I'm off to buy some.. at $25 a can.

Cheers.

Shame you're not in Sydney. You can get it for $15 a can where I work at Sydney Reptile and Amphibian Centre at Lidcombe.

Greg.

RE: Re: RE: Using TOD with Hatchlings

Gday,
from my experience its fine with hatchlings, just don't spray it directly on the snake.... Spray it on your arm first so you know why! :shock:

Gregory said:
Shame you're not in Sydney. You can get it for $15 a can where I work at Sydney Reptile and Amphibian Centre at Lidcombe.

Greg.

Ahhh, you've come out of the closet as a Sydney Reptile and Amphibian centre worker finally ay Greg?? LOL ;)

Gotta say though, service is great and always good to stop in for a chinwag.

Re: RE: Re: RE: Using TOD with Hatchlings

dobermanmick said:
Do you do mail orders from there Greg ?

Pretty sure we will be in the near future Mick. You'll have to harrass Popp about it.

Yeah Al. Out of the closet at last and it feels great.
It's a great spot to waste a couple of hours hey Al?

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Using TOD with Hatchlings

I was in today talking to Niv (and the kids) and she was saying how much you were loving it. :)

:p

Hix

Re: RE: Re: RE: Using TOD with Hatchlings

Gregory said:
Yeah Al. Out of the closet at last and it feels great.
It's a great spot to waste a couple of hours hey Al?

Damn straight!!! those VIP chairs are the bomb!!!! ;)

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Using TOD with Hatchlings

Hix said:
I was in today talking to Niv (and the kids) and she was saying how much you were loving it. :)

Who wouldn't love working in a shop dedicated to Herping?

The only better place you could work would be a Darrell Lea shop I reckon.

Gregory.

Jason said:
honestly i dont no but if i were you i would call a vet or even australia zoo if you live near there. just a thought

CRIKEY! Quarantine matters!!!! :lol:

RE: Re: RE: Using TOD with Hatchlings

Why are people so much more sure of themselves on the phone? I get to the pet shop and get the run around about the TOD.. so I caved and bought reptile mite spray, it's all natural and they are sure it won't harm the reptile.

Hope it works, otherwise Gregory.. I'm gonna be hitting you up for a mail order too :p

Shaggy I had this problem not long ago and there is a thread about it from a few months ago. Here's what I did after being advised by many on this site.

I left the hatchling in the enclosure and sprayed for about 4-5 seconds 'til there was a light "fog" . I made sure to spray away from the snake so it didn't go directly on him but left him in there the whole time. I also removed any water bowls.

I then boiled all my cage furniture to make sure everything was dead.

I think I also wiped the snake down with warm water just to get any chemicals off him - probably unecessary but it can't hurt I guess.

I waited a day then put the water and furniture back in the cage.

I repeated htis process again 2 weeks later to get any hatched mite eggs.

Also apparently it is best to spary at night with the lights off as that is when mites some out.

I haven't had a problem since :)

Hope this helps.

orange-medic is the best thing to use. DO-NOT use orange medic plus as tee tree oil will kill reptiles. Mix 50/50 with water. place snake in bin and spray well, spray tank and wipe out. Pour water over snake and return to tank. Kills mite and eggs. Mite cycle broken one application. Can be used on juvs with no ill efect. Same active ingrediant as cabin spray except cheaper for twice as much.
Rob

Where is The Sydney Reptile and Amphibian Centre? I just went looking for it and couldn't find it. They have two addresses on the website and I found another in the yellow pages. The address I found in the Yellow pages was a house?!? I am not the only one as I ended up at some petmart in the area who said I was the third person to ask about it but he had no idea where it was. Could some one post or pm me with specific directions as I'm sick of shopping at pet stores with a small overpriced reptile section. Cheers

Where is The Sydney Reptile and Amphibian Centre?

Shop 4/115 john st Lidcome. Sydney :D

From railway st Lidcome (parralel to the rail line) directly oposit the station
is the cnr of john st and railway st. Head straight down john st 1 min you will see it on the left, opposit a garage, theres a phone box out front, cant miss it! :wink:

Call it in....(o2).9643 1500 . 5 star service there too! :wink:

Oh I missed it alright. :? :lol:
Thanks for the point in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back