Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peterescue

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I know a few of you are on other lists so did anyone read Sue Davies post about the next VAAHS meeting in Geelong. Seems Ray Hoser and another chap will be presenting a talk and film on the surgical procedure for creating venomoids and presenting the animals complete with silicon implants in the larger ones(snakes with breast, who'd have thought)
:shock: Peter

can one of the victorian herpers plz get the meeting on tape by any chance ?

A Talk on creating what? I hope that doesn't mean having the venom gland removed or fangs.
Tell me it doesn't mean that

Em :shock:

VENOMOIDS - They are planning a talk about the deliberate BUTCHERY and MUTILATION of venomous snakes - a practice that is considered abhorrent by reputable herpetologists and herpetoculturalists.

Hoser has published a paper on his "experiments" in some obscure herp club newsletter, and it is online at http://www.smuggled.com - the apparent purpose of the exercise is to enable he and his mates to pretend at being hero's by waving around these butchered snakes at public demonstrations ...

I only hope that the RSPCA take the time to send one of their investigators along to gather evidence for prosecuting them for aggravated animal cruelty.

David Williams

I agree with David, it is very wrong to turn naturally venomous snakes into someones plaything by inserting silicon implants.

Venomoids have been around for quite a while now in the US and Europe and are generally alot more expensive to buy, due to the cost of operations, there are also concerns that by removing the glands and thus the venom, the snake suffers long term, as the venom aids in it's natural digestion process, this hasn't been conclusively proven because cb snakes fed on dead food don't always inject venom, but it would make sense to me.
Obviously the venomoid snakes can also produce normal offspring with venom glands.
Venomoids are still considered to be venomous snakes and you will still need the same catagory licence to keep them!

Very much against it, it's a sad day that a Herp club should promote it by allowing it to be glorified, although I am sure there will be many opponents to it there on the night.

This is being done by a man who studies reptiles? ? He writes Books?
Does he not realise how inhumane and damaging it is to the snake? How disrespectful!

These people don't deserve the title of - even 'Hobby Herpetologists' - They are as much a disgrace to the human race as people who use child slave labour, declaw cats and debark dogs.

Is there a Dentist in the house? We need some impromtu dentistry done on some Posers in Geelong soon.
Hawkey - your expertise won't be necessary. Let the Bastards (<~~ That's not a swear word) feel it.
Em.
Damnet - I don't like people - - -

I'm only new to the game, but implants are the dummest thing I've ever heard of!

Quote:TOXINOLOGIST
- the apparent purpose of the exercise is to enable he and his mates to pretend at being hero's by waving around these butchered snakes at public demonstrations ...

I think that just about sums up what this is about! No respect!

Man that makes me sick...... if you dont want a venomous snake dont get one, its as simple as that..... i too, hope that the rspca stick there heads into that meeting.... Sick freaks

it is definetly wrong and angelrose summed it up "if you dont want a venomous snake dont get one" i am someone who is against most of what ray hoser does in general and sick of his crap. just my opinion, i dont mean to offend anyone here at all if they are friends with him.

Yes, I to saw the add advertising Hosers talk at the next meeting. According to that post Hoser is claiming to be the first in Australia to vemonoid snakes.Typical. However the Aust Reptile Park has had to have their vemonous snakes vemonoided every time they went to WA for shows.
It was a calm requirement before they allowed these snakes into WA.

what do u personelly think of venomoids Bob?

what do u personelly think of venomoids Bob? do you think it is good or a bad thing?

earthmother said:
This is being done by a man who studies reptiles? ? He writes Books?

Any dork can write a book, Em. He has some good photos in his reptile books, but the other books (Smuggled etc.) are unsubstantiated crap. Personally, I wouldn't use them to paper the bottom of my snake tanks.

Hix

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!! You have no idea what a can of worms this is going to open. I have seen thread after thread locked over this very topic. For the record I am very against the whole practice, especially the way it is often carried out here. I suggest petioning your government to illegalize this procedure before it becomes a common practice by mainly profit minded individuals. If you don't want a venomous snake don't get one.

If I want a lion, I'm going to go and learn about them. How to work with them and stay safe. I'll work with experts and learn everything I can to work an lion safely. I'm not going to buy some toothless and declawed shell of a lion just so I can be lazy and not learn how to do things right. Same with hots. I don't hate venomoid snakes, I feel nothing but pitty for them. Sorry to rant but like I said there's alot of very passionate feelings about this subject. DON'T allow them in Australia!

Here here.
It is a disgusting practice.
I can't believe they are starting this crap over here.
Leave them alone they were born that way for a reason.
I think we should start doing experiments on ppl who are experimenting with vens in this way.
Why must we always try to play god,it's ridiculous.
I know it sounds bad but i truely hope they are tagged by a taipan or something. losers.It's cruel.

Ricko,

I am definately NOT in favour of this practice. In no way can it be good for the snakes concerned. Snake venom is needed to aid in digestion of their prey. If there is no Venom, how are they going to digest properly.

If people need to venomnoid their snakes for handling in public displays, then in my opinion they should not be doing displays at all. A good handler should never be bitten if they are carefull.

The role of venom in digestion is still unknown. That venom aids digestion is only a theory still at this point. There is however a question of regeneration of the venom glads and to what extent (if any) this takes place. I suggest for those interested in further reading on the practice of venomoiding snakes check out www.venomousreptiles.org . Just be prepared if you bring the subject up on one of the dicussion boards. Also www.venomdoc.com forums section will also be very useful.

I'm trying to stay calm. I'm trying to stay calm. I'm trying to stay calm. I'm trying to stay calm. I'm trying to sta..... :twisted: :evil:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back