?? Victorian Advanced Licence??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chris_clarke08

Reaction score
What conditions are there involved with getting a Victorian Advanced License, is there a time period that you have to hold a basic license in Victoria for?

You just have to pay them enough money mate.

yeah best off getting an A rather then a B licence or dont get a licence & go exotic's like some ppl have.

Yeah the Victorian system is a bit of a joke, but what do you do?

The Victorian license system aint that bad, not the best and could be better; but it aint that bad. You can go straight for the advance license which gives you access to all the legal species (apart from vens). No doing time on a basic/lower license before moving up, no waiting around for a week for an import/export permit and no cost. No having to have kept a lower classed species before being allowed to be kept others on the advance license. So all in all not much to whinge about really apart from the price of the license.

Imagine beging told you have to keep an ackie for a certain period of time before being allowed to keep a storr's or carpets before you can go to greens.

The Victorian license system aint that bad, not the best and could be better; but it aint that bad. You can go straight for the advance license which gives you access to all the legal species (apart from vens).

You can keep vens on the advanced, but I agree apart from the slightly restrictive schedules it is a very good system.

Yeah mate sorry about that i should should have completed that by saying "apart from vens without the completed ven handling course"

If the applicant is under 18 years of age, evidence of competency must be shown. The implication being that if you are over 18 no evidence is required.
I know I was never tested or even asked, but that predates the whole licensing system anyway.

I always thought you had to hold a Basic Licence for 2 Years before getting your Advanced.
Or is that just to keep vens?

You can get an advanced license straight up. If you are under 18 and want vens you need to show you are competent otherwise you are fine.

Damn i should of gotten my advanced straight away then because i'm not getting vens for awhile plus im only 15 years old.

Under 18 parents signature is sufficient, over 18 no evidence of experience required, no restriction so long as it is on permit.....send the money in and get a taipan.....I have even had a person buy a lace monitor as their first reptile from a pet store and they had NO experience at all......he gave it to me after receiving too many injuries....nice bells phase too.....anything in a pet store is on basic permits.....the system here is a joke!

Under 18 parents signature is sufficient, over 18 no evidence of experience required, no restriction so long as it is on permit.....send the money in and get a taipan.....I have even had a person buy a lace monitor as their first reptile from a pet store and they had NO experience at all......he gave it to me after receiving too many injuries....nice bells phase too.....anything in a pet store is on basic permits.....the system here is a joke!

Why is it a joke?
It certainly goes against the trend in relation to other licensing/ permit systems in the "nanny state" in that it seems to leave a lot of the decision making to the lic. holder rather than the faceless public servants and pen pushers in the relevant govt' department. Personally I think that is how it should be, we should all be responsible for our own actions, good or bad.
I think the incidence of the taipan or lacy as first reptiles is very occasional and probably an extreme example. Most responsible breeders would not sell a taipan at least to such an inexperienced keeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back