?? Victorian Advanced Licence??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know Spencer's Monitors aren't native to Vic, but they're on the advanced licence and Laceys are on basic, seems strange to me!
Definately not complaining about the import/export permits being free of charge though...

Sorry to stray somewhat off topic but I have 2 RSP's (Vic Advanced) and am in the
process of moving to NSW where I would also require an advanced license.

All the info i can find seems to indicate that in order to obtain the license required for RSP's I would have had to have had 2 years experience on a basic license.

Does anyone have experience in this matter, or a few pointers on how i should approach the situation?

Thanks in advance

Why is it a joke?
It certainly goes against the trend in relation to other licensing/ permit systems in the "nanny state" in that it seems to leave a lot of the decision making to the lic. holder rather than the faceless public servants and pen pushers in the relevant govt' department. Personally I think that is how it should be, we should all be responsible for our own actions, good or bad.
I think the incidence of the taipan or lacy as first reptiles is very occasional and probably an extreme example. Most responsible breeders would not sell a taipan at least to such an inexperienced keeper.
Its a joke because of the fact that not all breeders are responsible, animals such as lacey's are not basic animals and if there is a permit system there is a degree of accountability from the wildlife authorities who issue them, we can buy lacey's in pet stores, I have heard people describe scrubbies as docile and easy to handle, excellent first snakes. At least with a graduated system a person has to show they can at least care for the animals they own.....before owning Snakehandler I was never asked what experience I had, since owning it I have never been asked what experience I have regardless of what reptiles I have purchased...you can purchase taipans over the net, no questions asked....this is why it is a joke.....and even if it is occasional the keeping of venomous snakes and large monitors is already a touchy topic, just imagine when an inexperienced person gets killed by one of their pets....how long do you think you will be permitted to keep them then! I'm all for keeping venomous snakes and other "advanced reptiles", however due to the fact that not everyone is sensible, ethical, logical and responsible when it comes to breeding, selling, purchasing and keeping, there needs to be a system in place to protect our rights to keep such animals.

Last edited:
are there any differnt rules in keeping reptiles there that are differnt to other states also can the same animals be kept in vic as other states and if i got a advanced licanse there and than movved back to nsw would i be able to have a nsw advanced licanse lol

Its a joke because of the fact that not all breeders are responsible, animals such as lacey's are not basic animals and if there is a permit system there is a degree of accountability from the wildlife authorities who issue them, we can buy lacey's in pet stores, I have heard people describe scrubbies as docile and easy to handle, excellent first snakes. At least with a graduated system a person has to show they can at least care for the animals they own.....before owning Snakehandler I was never asked what experience I had, since owning it I have never been asked what experience I have regardless of what reptiles I have purchased...you can purchase taipans over the net, no questions asked....this is why it is a joke.....and even if it is occasional the keeping of venomous snakes and large monitors is already a touchy topic, just imagine when an inexperienced person gets killed by one of their pets....how long do you think you will be permitted to keep them then! I'm all for keeping venomous snakes and other "advanced reptiles", however due to the fact that not everyone is sensible, ethical, logical and responsible when it comes to breeding, selling, purchasing and keeping, there needs to be a system in place to protect our rights to keep such animals.

What you are in fact asking for is MORE restriction and regulation in order to avoid MORE restriction and regulation. Seems a bit pointless to me.
We can't keep tailoring all our licensing and permit systems to what the morons amongst us might or might not do.

I'm happy enough with the Vic system. You just need to be smart about what you're keeping. Even the "experts" can stuff up and make mistakes. We're all capable of it regardless of what a piece of paper states.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back