weight gain on bredli?????

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BIGBANG

Reaction score
hey guy have a question on weight gain on bredli, i feed mine to a fairly consistant diet of 15-20% by weight of snake every 14 days, but i do feed 10% every 7 days tho just works out easier with food size and they are all weighed every month, but i am concerned that my bredli are graining to much too fast, when i bought them in october last year i was told they were 18 months old so it would now make them 2 years, when i got them they weighed female weight 485gm and male 449gm now the female weighs 1350gm and male 1105gm, in the last 5 weeks the female has put on 425 gm and the male 300gm, is this too much?

If you are really concerned about their weight you could keep their feeds further apart and cool them over Winter. I might do this with my Jungle and MD (800g and 1025g at 14 months old).
They could be just going through a growth spurt?
How soon after you feed them does the bulge disappear/are they're back out 'hunting' for more food?
With mine the bulge is gone within 3 days or so and they're back out again (and have passed urates) by around day 5.

mine are usually out within 2 days if not the next night ready for another feed and they pass arond day 5

I have 2 Bredli pretty much the same age and they have put on the same sort of weight in the same sort of time. I just thought it was what Bredli did.

Yeah I'm not sure whats the norm for them i've never owned them before and just wanted other opinions on their weight gain to find out if its ok , they are fast becoming large snakes I just want to make sure they are healthy, I have a juvi diamond python I was told was a yearling when I bought it and it was 110gm when I got it and 6 months later she is 330 gms being fed at the same rate.

They do grow fast. My 2 year old is 3.5kg/6ft+. Gets fed 25-35% every 2-3 weeks, went off feed both winters, cutting down on feeds now as he'll probably slow down soon.

ok cool well sounds as though everything is normal then, 2 years and 3.5 kg thats a big snake, i believed mine were undersized when i got them.

ok cool well sounds as though everything is normal then, 2 years and 3.5 kg thats a big snake, i believed mine were undersized when i got them.
........my just turned 2 yr old is 7ft and 5.5kg and i only feed 1 large rat a week or i large rat and a day old chick fortnightly......she just wont stop growing

8563298585_c76721c94d_z.jpg

sounds to me either i was miss informed about age or the have been seriousl under fed their lies before getting to me, and they came from a member of this site

Bredli get big and grow fast, its what they do. You are not over-feeding them. They still have HEAPS of growing to do. A better indication of growth rates is to aim for roughly 8-10 weeks between shedding and you will get a feel for how much to feed.
Do you always weigh after they have pooped to get a true weight?

........my just turned 2 yr old is 7ft and 5.5kg and i only feed 1 large rat a week or i large rat and a day old chick fortnightly......she just wont stop growing

8563298585_c76721c94d_z.jpg

It has Kankle neck ....

Yeah it looks pretty chub. But it could just be the photo, has a few rolls too, bigger snakes just get them sometimes too.

5.5kg @ 2 yo is pretty big. Are the rats like 400-500g each?

Last edited by a moderator:
Noooo I never feed x large or jumbos only normal med or large.... U can't really see much of a bump when she has been fed.... I fluctuate between weekly and fortnightly feeds but she just keeps getting longer and longer

175 g rats .... Just weighed a couple .... Going to only do fortnightly now but not sure if one rat will satisfy her lol

Bredli get big and grow fast, its what they do. You are not over-feeding them. They still have HEAPS of growing to do. A better indication of growth rates is to aim for roughly 8-10 weeks between shedding and you will get a feel for how much to feed.
Do you always weigh after they have pooped to get a true weight?
yeah mate weigh the night I feed them,

Man my 2 are small they are2 years old 4 1/2 foot long and weigh a bit under 700g the owner before me said he was trying to keep them small, about 6 months ago a hopper rat seemed big for them now they just took their first medium rats a couple days ago

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back