Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Omg! Everyone get over it! So he was careless. He got bitten. He's OK!!

Who cares!? It was his own stupid fault anyway.

We're not all perfect like you Tatelina. We mere mortals make mistakes sometimes!

Pics would be good.....stickers even better....The tale of Sdaji and the Muffin....hahahaha (even though Muffin isn't its name). $1.00 each, hey you could make some money out of this..... Glad to hear you are ok Sdaji. I wondered if it would change your opinion of owning vens when I heard it on the tv but I'm glad to hear that it hasn't. Good work. I admire and appreciate and respect what it is you do and I'm glad this incident hasn't deterred you. When you fall off your bike........

We're not all perfect like you Tatelina. We mere mortals make mistakes sometimes!

Smarty pants.

There is a big difference with making a mistake and learning from it, and making a mistake which affects the rest of the reptile community.
Although I am very glad that he told the media repeatedly that it was not a big deal.

..it happens. He'll be alright others have made it through more 'life threatening' bites than that.

Get well Sdaji and relish your 15 minutes.

Smarty pants.

There is a big difference with making a mistake and learning from it, and making a mistake which affects the rest of the reptile community.
Although I am very glad that he told the media repeatedly that it was not a big deal.

And the media affects you .....In what way exactly?

By Johns own admission he has been bitten by vens around a dozen times.What would that average John,one per year? As far as the media circus goes of course they will run with it especially if they keep getting fed!

Omg! Everyone get over it! So he was careless. He got bitten. He's OK!!

Who cares!? It was his own stupid fault anyway.

I agree. It was most likely an error of judgment that led to the bite and in my opinion it was another error of judgment to increase the media exposure via an interview.
I guess the one thing we can be grateful for is that it was not a RBBS that bit him.

So has the snake got over its bout of food poisoning? or is that why you are taking the pics tomorrow.. a little more time for it to recover maybe??

I agree. It was most likely an error of judgment that led to the bite and in my opinion it was another error of judgment to increase the media exposure via an interview.
I guess the one thing we can be grateful for is that it was not a RBBS that bit him.

It was my fault, I've never said anything else. I was rushing, it was silly to do that.

I'm quite offended that you say it was an error of judgement to talk to the media. They were going to run the story with or without my input. It was a case of either letting them run with the version which had me almost dead, with snakes being evil, horrible and to be feared (this how it started out, before I'd said a single word to anyone from the media and before I had any intention of doing so) or me getting involved and telling the truth while doing my best to portray snakes in a positive way.

Tatelina: I'm so flattered that you find me interesting enough to take so much notice of me and follow me around the forum, feeling to need to have your say :) It's nice to be noticed and to know that you find me worth thinking about so often :)

As for the 'dozen or so' bites, most of these have been from extremely mildly venomous snakes. I've only once taken a significant dose of venom, and that was almost 10 years ago.

My only questions about the media is how did they find out? I know of several keepers bitten in the past with no media attention at all, some of these people needed anti-venom and hospitilisation!

By the way John, I am glad to hear you are ok and that it was only minor, Im sure your **** kicking from your partner will hurt for longer!

The ambulance driver leaked the story (in an exaggerated and irresponsible form) to the media. I would have preferred it to remain out of the public eye. I know of many bites which have gone unreported. This one was quite minor.

Hey Sdaji
I dont know you personally but i'm glad your ok! I spent 1 week in Intensive Care & 1 week in General Ward, 4 blood transfusions with 5 weeks Kidney Dialysis from a Notechis Scutatus bite Oct. 2007. It took 29 years to take a bite, then it only happened when i picked the "bagged" tiger snake up with thumb under knot instead of picking it up above the knot; can you believe that? I tell you now it is truth! Beautiful/placid snake i'd had for 4 years but very food concious. My incident did not even make the local paper (probably because my wife took me to hospital, not Ambo's) & i am very appreciated of that but it did draw numerous medical athourities from Melbourne to interview me & monitor as a case study. All the media here monitor radio traffic using frequency scannersI Because i am a CFA member i understand how they utilize scanners.It was another reason why i didnt use Ambo's to go to the hospital.I am sad of the media attention that your incident has created; Please note that there is no way am i blaming you.
But Sdaji i'm glad your ok & it was great that we now,all have a clear "picture" of the whole incident.

Regards ttaipan

was it the taxi driver or did they pick it up while listen to the ambos ,cops,and fire boys as i know they get alot of there stories that way be listening in on scanners

Keep in mind that what you saw of me on the television was the thirty seconds or so they chose to take out of over an hour of footage they obtained of me, discussing lots of things about snakes. They chose the most negative things they could in order to make things look as bad as possible, I was smiling and laughing almost the whole time, but if you're filmed for that long there will be times when you're momentarily distracted and your expression changes, and they'll get stuff they can take out of context very easily,

I am sorry that you are so easily offended. At the risk of offending you again I could say you are a bit niave as to the way the media works, but I think you already knew how they do things. Without footage the story would have died almost as soon as it was born.

It was my fault, I've never said anything else. I was rushing, it was silly to do that.

I'm quite offended that you say it was an error of judgement to talk to the media. They were going to run the story with or without my input. It was a case of either letting them run with the version which had me almost dead, with snakes being evil, horrible and to be feared (this how it started out, before I'd said a single word to anyone from the media and before I had any intention of doing so) or me getting involved and telling the truth while doing my best to portray snakes in a positive way.

you live and learn. Sdaji you have been a great help to me and many of us on this site. it is unfortunate that you made headlines for being bitten by an adder not that long after your crafy photoshop work was uploaded on this site, oh well you are ok and that what counts. hope there are no long term affects on your nervous system and you you continue to be an asset for the herp consious australia.
ren

I'don't know you very well but hope you have a speedy recovery.

holy smoke i didn't even realise either until i logged onto this thread. hope you're fit as a fiddle again very soon

Stop wishing me a speedy recovery! I'd fully recovered before you heard about it! :lol:

baxtor: before agreeing to talk to anyone the media was already covering it quite comprehensively. They already had footage from the ambulance driver who was saying it was terrible, etc etc etc. The story was running (with footage) whether or not there was any voluntary footage of me. I knew full well what the media would do and what they're like, I've been familiar with it for many years. Believe me, it would have been a terrible media day for reptiles if I'd not agreed to get involved. The version of the story where I was close to death, snakes are bad, etc etc etc would have been even more popular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back