What a relief

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sore is way better than dead, can't believe I'm still alive : )

Leggage (well some footage in there)

View attachment 221559View attachment 221560

Her lips are all swollen from green ant bites, she picked them off her legs and ate ****loads of them for the moisture they contain.

What a Gal!

Damn...thats from the ant bites?

Very very impressive story of survival and glad everything turned out okay...She got lost on the Cobourg Pennisula? Was it in Garig Gunak Barlu National Park?

Last edited:
Seriously impressed with how you kept your cool and followed all the survival guidelines. I've never managed to eat an ant, but out of curiosity, do they taste like they smell?

Gee my curiosity is borderline inappropriate at times, haha

I can't beleive it's not all over our local news!

I really need to know, Darlyn or Steve, how did it happen?

Lynne went for a short walk on Endyalgout Island and was taking photos in a paperbark swamp when something hit her on the head (doesnt know what). When she came to she was groggy and confused. She had drunk all her water. This was monday afternoon. She knew she was west of the camp and navigated east using the setting sun between lying down in the shade and rehydrating the only way possible. There is no surface fresh water on the island.

She overshot the camp and spent the night trapped on two sides by mangroves. She lit a fire but it wasnt seen. The searchers followed her tracks west and continued their search there when she was in the opposite direction. She ate green ants all night and got badly bitten in the process.

Next morning she was spent and the chopper went over the top twice without seeing her (bush coloured clothing). She realised her fluro pink panties might work and attached them to a stick. Then curled up to die.

Eventually the chopper returned but she was falling down trying to get wood onto her signal fire but they spotted the bright pink and 5 minutes later she was rescued.

Severely dehydrated and face swollen from green ant bites. But she made it, 26 hours in 39o heat without water. I am so proud of her toughness and so happy she made it. I would be lost without her. She's a legend.

The media are chasing her but she doesn't want to talk to them. She is still pretty wobbly.

Damn...thats from the ant bites?

No the damage was from stumbling through the scrub. The green ants got into the blood and she picked them off and ate them. Later she ripped their nests out of trees to get more.

Very very impressive story of survival and glad everything turned out okay...She got lost on the Cobourg Pennisula? Was it in Garig Gunak Barlu National Park?

South of Gurig. Endyalgout Island.

Last edited:
This just proves girls can do anything :)

Best wishes Darlyn and Steve thanks for sharing this amazing tale

Seriously impressed with how you kept your cool and followed all the survival guidelines. I've never managed to eat an ant, but out of curiosity, do they taste like they smell?

Gee my curiosity is borderline inappropriate at times, haha

Green ants are full of citric acid and vitamin C and they taste quite tangy. Aboriginal people up here boil up the nest to treat a flu and crush the ants and inhale to clear blocked sinus. You can also get them to bite the edges of a wound and twist off the body. The head remains as a suture for a few hours.

holy crap wonderwoman, what a saga!

thats an amazing story, very happy you made it out alive and in one piece!!

Hi guys. After nearly dying of dehydration today. I'm very happy to be alive. I had actually laid down to die in the shade
when the helicopter came overhead. They had been over a few times but hadn't seen me. I had lit a fire so they could follow the smoke. I took my pink knickers off and waved them on a stick after falling over 3 times trying to put wood on the fire. I was certainly a goner after drinking nothing but my own urine for 20 hours. Good to be alive : )
Hooray for the police rescue and the special ops blokes. I owe my life to them.

There's the title to your book right there: "How my knickers saved my life"

Green ants are full of citric acid and vitamin C and they taste quite tangy. Aboriginal people up here boil up the nest to treat a flu and crush the ants and inhale to clear blocked sinus. You can also get them to bite the edges of a wound and twist off the body. The head remains as a suture for a few hours.

Good info there, I'll log that away. Glad to hear everything turned out okay in the end, it just goes to show what a strong woman can do.
Darlyn, well done! I want to be like you when I grow up :D

Wow! I am impressed! Yes, i am one of those girls that watches Bear & others drinking their own urine & eating bugs etc & thinks 'EEEWWW, i would rather die'.......BUT ive never been in your situation either, & im sure we could all do things we wouldnt imagine if in such a serious situation! I will be honest, when you posted Darlyn, that u just layed down to die........i actually got teary! I am SO glad u were found, thank god for 'pink bits' hey! ;) I hope u are starting to feel better, good to be inside again i bet!

Wow! I am impressed! Yes, i am one of those girls that watches Bear & others drinking their own urine & eating bugs etc & thinks 'EEEWWW, i would rather die'.......BUT ive never been in your situation either, & im sure we could all do things we wouldnt imagine if in such a serious situation! I will be honest, when you posted Darlyn, that u just layed down to die........i actually got teary! I am SO glad u were found, thank god for 'pink bits' hey! ;) I hope u are starting to feel better, good to be inside again i bet!

Bear Grylls drinks his piss for the camera, I certainly wouldn't do that. Doing it to stay alive is an entirely differnt matter and you can almost convince yourself that it tastes like black tea, (almost) certainly looks like black tea when you're dehydrated.

It just shows how easily things can and do go wrong.

With a bit of common sense, knowledge and luck Darlyn walked away a little worse for wear but she walked away, which is the best possible result.

Good on ya mate.

Endyalgout island sar 11-10-11 001.jpg
Endyalgout island sar 11-10-11 003.jpg
Endyalgout island sar 11-10-11 002.jpg

My rescuers

"worth their weight in gold" as they say. I'm betting they were the best sight you've seen in awhile

Too bloody true. I also was very impressed with their water supply, it was much better than mine : )

Do you have any idea what struck you on the head? Maybe some type of falling debris or a coconut or something?

mmfan I may have walked into a branch, I'm blind in one eye. so that could be what happened
but I really don't know. There were no coconuts there otherwise I would have had sufficient liquid to keep me alive.

Just so you understand Darlyn is no clown in a world she doesn't understand. She has a better understanding of country here than many locals. (Dawinites)
Some pics she took the day before...

DSC_0118.jpg
DSC_0135.jpg

This whole process has been a demonstration of how very competent people can become unstuck.

DSC_0147.jpg
DSC_0180.jpg

I think she kicked *** in what she did and did it better than a lot of rough tough blokes I know if their resources were taken away. ONYA Lynne.
My world is a much better place with you in it!

Do you have any idea what struck you on the head? Maybe some type of falling debris or a coconut or something?

The northern Oz coast is the only part of the tropics without coconuts. That's because we have the world's biggest termites (Mastotermes) and no beached coconut goes uneaten.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back