Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke

Reaction score
Just curious to know what species of snake you can't keep on a standard Qld license aswell as what species you can only have a restricted amount of.

hi, green tree pythons and womas are restricted, so you can only keep 2 of each and you can keep any amount of any other python species and you cant keep vens.

In qld your restrictions are to non venomous reptiles and excluding some species, i have heard that aspidites family are concidered restricted but havent found anything to back this up. you can jump on the derm gov website and it outlines what can and can't be kept.

Ohhh ok why are you only allowed to have 2 womas? And does it also apply for Bhps?

Ohhh ok why are you only allowed to have 2 womas? And does it also apply for Bhps?

I was told its because they are endangered, but i it doesnt make sence. But thats what i was told.

Yeah, I've heard as Harley said, it's because of their numbers in the wild and conservation status.

I couldn't see BHP's on that list, so I assume there really isn't any limit on them.

me neither, i dont see why both the woma and gtp would be classed as restricted but i dont have any of either so i dont need to understand it just yet lol. :)

the bhp arnt restricted, you can have as many as you like :)

Hahn same i couldn't see them on the list either.
I'd like to get and possibly breed Bhps in the future which is why I was asking and it would be good to be able to have a few of them

I've got 1 woma so it's good to know that they are restricted haha

In NSW Womas only recently moved from class 2 to class 1 and now GTPs and RSPs are the only pythons on class 2. I think for the Womas and the RSPs it does have something to do with the numbers and also how long they have been kept in captivity. They need time for the "experienced" people to keep them and understand their needs before they can move to the lower classes so new keepers can own them.
GTPs are different again because they are a "high maintenance" animal that requires some knowledge and experience to keep successfully.
That's my understanding. It may just be completely wrong though :)

NSW Licenses are calculated from what i've been advised, On three things,
1. Rarity in captivity
2. Rarity in the wild
3. Specialy Requirements/Difficulty in keeping.

In QLD the restricted species, woma's and gtp's, are based on wild populations found in qld. has nothing to do with captive animals or their husbandry requirements.

Strange since most womas in captivity are NT or WA animals, and a large number of gtps would be PNG lines.

So contacted qld licensing about this and BHPs are not restricted and you can have unlimited amount on standard rec reptile license. but unfortunantly womas you can only keep two as they are restricted.Or only one of this species and one of another restricted species as per your standard license.

Here is the form that you fill out to amend your license to increase the number of restricted animals allowed to be held....
Recreational wildlife licence (birds, reptiles, amphibians) (Department of Environment and Resource Management)

Here is the fee schedule to amend your license to increase the number of restricted animals allowed to be kept.
http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/register/p01645aa.pdf

What you are looking for here is the fee attached to the covoluted title of....
"To amend an existing recreational wildlife license by adding:
restricted animals to a licence granted for animals other than restricted animals"........$185.80

Hope this helps a little.

Are Olive Pythons restricted here in QLD? i remeber reading that they are somewhere due to the danger of asphyxiation. If so, is it like Womas where you can get a certain amount on a normal licence or is it diffrent because the restriction is in place for the purpose of saftey concern?

They aren't listed here, Ash..so at a guess I'd say no. But to be certain for certain I'd pick up the phone and make a call to the Dept. of Environment and Resource Management.

Edit:.....Hmmmm...rough scaled pythons aren't listed there either.....strange.

Last edited:
Please ring DERM just to make sure, Ash.

I'd hate for them to put your **** in a vice for getting it wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back