Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Mac's!!!!, outside?, better a Scrubbie than a Mac, the choise is endless, pending environment, size etc, i'd say anything really, but if its a inside snake or lizard, try it outside for short periods of time to see how its going to do.......becareful of nose-rub etc. It also gives you time to see how much sun, and weather the animals going to get as-well as how its going to adapt to its new surroundings".........

"If you build your own, try and make it so you can house anything from a Lacie to a gillians monitor, you wont be sorry later, it will be more useful"

Very nice avairy's Jonny
I have been thinking of the whole outside enclosure too , Has anyone had any run-ins with neighbours about them ?And do dogs and cats pose any threat at all to them ?

"No problems with neighbours, other than them asking if they wanted to eat my 'Spencers tail', would it grow back?......i only had a problem once, with a 'butcher-bird' and 'lizard toes', the dog sorts the cats out, he knows his job....."

Try to get the avairy north facing. That way it doesn't get too hot during summer and has plenty of sunshine in the winter (works out great for diamonds)

Neighbours have no idea whats in the avairy.

No problems with cats at the moment although I have a problem with a resident ringtail possum. It picks peaches off the tree on the right of the avairy then proceeds to eat them while sitting on the mesh roof. There have been several occasions when I have been awoken by the bang of my larger diamond trying to strike the possum through the roof :lol:
The possum also leaves all the seeds on the mesh roof and contaminates the water bowl with droppings.
Not a big problem, I dont mind having the little fella around.

cheers

Jonny

Personally i would leave the birds in the aviary and let the scrubs take care of them :lol:

On a serious note listen to indicus and the best thing to do is watch or observe for things such as nose rub,preferable perching possies etc.I think outside in the right climate is the best way to go.......

"Good job with the diamond enclosure, they would love it, i know what you mean about the possom, i get birds........heres a sunning enclosure for scrubbies, at the moment"

"If you got the cash Dobermanmick, go for a poly tank, you'll maybe if ever only have to replace the wire, no rust, or painting.....empty and load on the ute if you move"

"About $300 Dicco, i live in a country area, so theres always tanks laying around the farms, mostly there only to happy for you to take it..........sometimes i get some off the old bloke at the dump for a six-pack, he lets me know when someone dumps one"

"N.Q, Dicco, keep in mind these are old and often rusty, the opening is usually determined by the amount of rust that has to be cut out, damn paint is often the dearest part of the enclosure, 'Cold-gal', and 'killrust', black tar on the flooring."

That is an awesome avairy indicus :wink:

how do you secure all the mesh?
Does it require more framing to make it more sturdy?

hey indiCus and jonny those aviary style?enclosures are Cwesome. indicus?a shot with the scrubbies sunni?g themselves wo?ld be awesome if you have any??? damm melbourne?the only thing Aept outside is basically lacies and water drago?s

Ether,

You sure can keep diamonds outside where you are.
My avairy cost about $350. Look for ads in the trading post, alot of people get rid of old avairys and there are also avairy makers that have specials.
If I did it again I would get one made out of welded steel frame (similar to the ones at Kellyville Pets but not as expensive :shock: ).
Im currently working on a wooden frame avairy about 4-5 times the size of my metal avairy. Should be finished by this time next year provided funds and time permitting 8) . Considering putting Lacies in it but it may not be in a sunny enough position.

cheers

Jonny

Awsome, thanks for that Jonny. How big would the avairy have to be? What is the size of the one you pictured? and finally could you keep two Diamonds together in such a big cage or would the same rule apply as inside.

Cheers, Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back