Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From a very respectable breeding and snake biologist/physiologist......

As snake owners, we need to understand that snakes are not social creatures. They don’t form bonds with us like dogs or cats (as much as we like to imagine they do). A python will only react aggressively to us because they think we are either a threat or food. At best, we might become an object of complete indifference other than perhaps a source of warmth, a handy perch or a place to hide.

The thing is womanator we all know this we don't need to be reminded about it but for some of us we like to think our adorable little snakes feel something other than a relationship of convenience!!!
Don't ruin it for us please ;)

What are you talking about? Snakes can be trained. My spotted sits, begs, plays dead, lets you scracth her tummy (oh, it's funny, her legs go wild). You guys just haven't tried.

I also trained up 6 guard snakes (coastals) they patrol the yard day and night. But I had to remove them becuase the electricty guy got eaten :(

I also have a smoke detector snake (a BHP) - she's trained to wake the entire family in a fire emergency (even if she's on fire she'll still make it to all the rooms).

I used a BHP because they don't have heat pits, this saves her confusion in a large house fire.

SO what ever you guys are on, I don't know... but I am going back to my toadstools and fairies with purple frogs that go ribbit while frolicking naked through a meadow with Uma Thurman.

What are you talking about? Snakes can be trained. My spotted sits, begs, plays dead, lets you scracth her tummy (oh, it's funny, her legs go wild). You guys just haven't tried.
QUOTE]

wow, ur snakes even better than mine, Loki just tilts his head so i have better access to rub behind where his ears should be,...

Does potty training count??? Nala goes to the toilet on her own... :lol:

Sassi can bathe herself too!! Oh and Erwin loves his belly being tickled!!! hehe!!!

yeah, he was listening in on a fone call so i cut them off as punishment,... :)

you cut his ears off??? :eek: OMG the humanity!!!111 *cough*

I think you're jumping to conclusions. Many birth defects occur to snakes at a young age - for example a friend of mine has a snake with NO legs!

He told me it was how it was born.

My male has two penises - now try telling me that that's natural!

maybe he grew 2 penises cos he thought it might help him walk,..!?

hi everyone really creative answers!! lol i was joking about the rober and training bit, thought i might put some conversational stuff in there!! lol thanx for the answers.
hydro

First of all, I think it's pathetic the way you have all jumped on this 'person' who could have been a 12 year old for all you know. Coming up with the most sarcastic garbage you can to make a valid suggestion laughable, due to your 'wealth' of experience with snakes..

Hands up if you are qualified to assess the neurological memory limitations of a snake, or of anything for that matter.

*Puts hand up*

Snakes can definitely be conditioned to bite an unfamiliar person, or to react to a conditioned stimulus in a desired way, if it is only conditioned properly. Snakes have a spatial memory, a knowledge of if smells are unfamiliar and which are not. If you disagree with that, perhaps you'd like to like to explain why snakes have such superior olfaction, though no memory for it? So it is definitely possible to condition a snake to respond unfavorably to unfamiliar people\warm bloods.

The word 'trained' will never apply to a snake, as their brains just don’t have the mass to be self-aware, however, they certain can adapt, which is a response trainable property.

(I plan on getting another degree next year, Veterinary science)

First of all, I think it's pathetic the way you have all jumped on this 'person' who could have been a 12 year old for all you know. Coming up with the most sarcastic garbage you can to make a valid suggestion laughable, due to your 'wealth' of experience with snakes..

Hands up if you are qualified to assess the neurological memory limitations of a snake, or of anything for that matter.

*Puts hand up*

Snakes can definitely be conditioned to bite an unfamiliar person, or to react to a conditioned stimulus in a desired way, if it is only conditioned properly. Snakes have a spatial memory, a knowledge of if smells are unfamiliar and which are not. If you disagree with that, perhaps you'd like to like to explain why snakes have such superior olfaction, though no memory for it? So it is definitely possible to condition a snake to respond unfavorably to unfamiliar people\warm bloods.

The word 'trained' will never apply to a snake, as their brains just don’t have the mass to be self-aware, however, they certain can adapt, which is a response trainable property.

You might as well have said : I AM BETTER THAN EVERY ONE HERE!!!

he probably is, it wouldn't be hard ;) hehe
most people are stupid.. ignorant and down right silly.. but meh, the world keeps turning.

we are human!! the best, superior to all other forms of life!! rarrrr!! or something.. *shrug*

*Puts hand up*

think you need to take a chill pill mate. sorry we did not know you where the biggest expert here

*Puts hand up*

Ok - by your reckoning then:

1) Do homing pigeons home because they know where there home is or because of advancements in their brain (magnetosomething word escapes me)?

2) Do fish manage to find their way back, especially salmon and trout, to their birth stream because they were given a map at birth?

A snake can familiarise itself with smell because it is one of the most attuned senses it has. Along with taste.

The same way a pigeon (homing) finds its way home is because it has that attuned sense. It is nothnig to do with conditioning at all!

I don't agree with Kelly however, you've proved you're not better than anyone else - you're merely an equal :p

Attuned senses and refining ability to memorise are very different things. I would say a snake has a brain the size of a pin head and its ability to store information and retrieve it woudl also be limited.
If I have used incorrect words it woudl be that I am a more attuned to physics than biology (or even chemistry although my memory failed me with that magneto word - so I wonder if a snake could have the issue to)

*Puts hand up*

Sparty, honestly. Jumping on his case? It's called having a sense of humor, and with your lack of appreciation or understanding for this you try to make other people feel bad. What if I was a 12 year old? You just said the way these people have been 'talking garbage' is pathetic. How do you know these people aren't 12. There was no need to add the fact that you are getting another degree either. Good for you, and good luck with your life. But take that stick out mate. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back