What defines hypo?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm not paying anymore for this one than i did for the females in the pics which i bought as a stripe and i got her from the same breeder, So i know its not a matter of him upping the price for a "label". I trust this breeder as he has been breeding for 20 years or so and i have known him for a long time so i know its not a case of ripping me off, i just want to know what the more experienced breeders/keepers class as hypo

Tiger, I didn't state or even suggest that you were overcharged or that the dealer was ripping you off.

i dont think it is black, perhaps it is a very dark brown, as far as i understand hypo means no black, perhaps reduced is acceptable.....

I understand the point your trying to make tatt2tony. And myself and many others define the Hypo Mcdowelli we breed as such because of the way its inherited gentically.To be brief the animal i posted above is an example of the "Super Form" as some call them. These "Supers" are presented in a ratio of 1/4 super, 1/2 hypo "hets" and 1/4 normal in the particular pairing i used to produce the above animal.

AUSHERP: Australia has alot of catching up to do to the Overseas morphs, they are leaps and bounds ahead of us even with some of our own species. We will start to catch up eventually.

Hypomelanism is where an animal has a REDUCED amount of black NOT totally lacking black.

Hypomelanistic is reduced melanin.
Amelanistic is no melanin.
(Melanin is the black pigmentation)

Who defines whats hypo?
Anybody can. Especially those that want to make $$ and throw names & titles at everything

Exactly what he said.

Hypo's can certainly have black in them, just less then the 'normal' amount. And as there is no set 'normal' amount you can call just about anything you want a hypo and get away with it.

this could go on forever... it all sounds a little bit bullsh-t to me.. sounds like a good way to get some $$ of a newbie to me...

It's actually really easy to understand, a snake like the one Minka posted is very clearly a Hypo as it has much reduced black. It really isn't rocket science.

There are two of different forms of albinism; a partial lack of the melanin is known as hypomelanism, or hypomelanosis and the total absence of melanin is known as amelanism or amelanosis.

Thanks Google

Gex

As has been stated 'hypo' is a reduction in black pigmentation not no black pigment at all. Its up to the seller to determine what 'they' think is hypo or not...and then up to the buyer to decide whether it meets their hypo standards or not to determine whether they'd pay the money for it.
The hypo term seems to get thrown around way too much but the carpet that Minka has posted is very deserving of the title.

There are two of different forms of albinism; a partial lack of the melanin is known as hypomelanism, or hypomelanosis and the total absence of melanin is known as amelanism or amelanosis.

Thanks Google

Gex

thanks man thats all i was trying to say....

thanks.. 'eye of the beholder'... is probably what the answer, seems everyone has a different opinion..

Thanks Google

Gex

A hypomelanistic animal is not necessarily an albino. T+ albinos could by called hypo's but not all hypo's are albinos.

thanks.. 'eye of the beholder'... is probably what the answer, seems everyone has a different opinion..

Hi tatt2tony..............look, i'm not being smart here, just read the thread and thought i'd make it simple for you.....the dictionary meaning of hypo...."LESS".........Hyper...."MORE"..............so any HYPO animals has less black pigment than a typical wild type animal..........even hypo's exist in the wild, so do hyper's...just like minka pointed out, there alot less produced in total though.................
If your trying to define hypo, it is...LESS black than a typical wild type specimen........as described by the normal type of that species or sub species..........That is the meaning, not each and everyone's opinion.......less black than typical wild type = HYPO

There are obviously border line, average and good examples....aswell as outstanding specimens....

hope this helps

So, grading a good hypo to an outstanding one...........minka's is an outstanding one....less than that, would be the absolute best........

so wats a bredli with ABSOLUTELY NO black pigmentation on it. is it a hypo??? or what. it is completely orange

A bredli with absolutely no black pigment showing is: AN OUTSTANDING GRADE of HYPO.....

And don't forget, just about all young pythons colour darkens with age.....and maturity.........
With hypo bredli....you can purchase a juvie, or yearling...even 2 year old sub adult with no black on them, some still develope black between 2 and 3 though......
really goood young hypo's can turn into average hypo's with age.......the ones that get to 3 yrs and older with no black ....they are outstanding specimens, and are hard examples to find.......

With more breedings these days (more than years gone by), better quality hypo's will be more readily available...........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back